Safely moving the wheels off-center

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Safely moving the wheels off-center

Postby Tukanu » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm a new member just getting started on a 4x8 teardrop. I purchased a utility trailer from a welding shop. It is very similar to HF trailer. It currently has 12" wheels, but I want to used 13". The 13" tires puts the tire at about 7/8" from the frame. Is that enough clearance? Is there a way to safely move the rims out? I guess this would be referred to as positive offset? FYI, this will be a fairly light build at a target of 700 to 800 lbs.

2nd question: This trailer is fairly narrow at 45", and I will have to build out over the wheels. I have about 5" of play between the springs and the rails. Should I build my wheel wells with the same 5" of clearance? Thanks.
Building lil' Woody: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=71953
Tukanu
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Safely moving the wheels off-center

Postby Woodbutcher » Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:46 pm

You are fine with 7/8" between the frame and the tire. If you are not comfortable with that, you can buy wheel spacers. I used them on one of my teardrops and went over 25K miles with no issues. As for building over the wheels, the fenders need to have at least the distance the axle can move up before it bottoms out.
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets