Harbor Frieght trailer lengthen

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Harbor Frieght trailer lengthen

Postby sauljordan » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:14 pm

I found this forum when I was looking for information about various utility trailers. I purchased a Harbor Frieght Utility trailer. The 1170 pound version, but I am afraid I won't have a utility trailer very long as you have all hooked me on teardrops. I gotta have one. I am still just planning, but I have a question. If I turn the two center rails sideways as recommended, can I stretch the frame out a foot or so longer using those rails to bridge the gap?

I will be using the generic Benroy plans, but building over the wheels and using walls similer to Dee Bee's Zephyr.
Saul
sauljordan
Donating Member

Postby Leon » Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:59 pm

I've never been a big fan of the HF trailers, but what you could do is get some sqare or rectangular tubing to fit inside the front and back rails, and make the sides the length you need. Use .120 wall and you'll end up with a much stronger trailer.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:22 pm

sauljordan, Welcome to the psychosis. :lol: :lol: Enjoy your build and ask plenty of questions, the info here is invaluable. JMHO
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Re: Harbor Frieght trailer lengthen

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:29 pm

Streching a HF trailer? At first blush I would say, let's ask Andrew. While we are waiting for Andrew to ponder these thoughts... I would guess that you could strech out the HF trailer a little bit... How much do you want to stretch it out?

Remember, you can always hang the body over the frame too... like we did on the weekender and the Lil Diner...

Mike...

P.S. Welcome to the forum! ;)

sauljordan wrote: If I turn the two center rails sideways as recommended, can I stretch the frame out a foot or so longer using those rails to bridge the gap?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:39 pm

...heya Saul, welcome to our world...I see we have ya hooked :twisted: ...iff'n it were me I would mod the trailer as recommended, move the axle so it would sit 40"s from the rear of trailer body and use a subfloor construction method and extend the wood portion back that foot...the steel frame does not haveta go all the way under the wood...but that's just me...if I just had to have the steel all the way back I would still mod the trailer like I said but get some additional steel to add in for the extension...by the way, if you have been lurking/reading here for awhile(and I remember when you joined up) then you know we absolutely require pictures...pics of anything but especially of you and your work...why, well 'cause we absolutely luv da pics, that's why :D ;)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby angib » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Saul (?),

I can't see any problem with your lengthening plan as the trailer sides are much stronger than the frame. It would be sensible to connect the bits together properly - you'll need to drill extra holes and use extra bolts, but that's hardly a big deal.

Building out over the wheels on a stretched profile and keeping the loaded weight under 1170lb is a whole different matter. To give yourself some capacity for food, etc, you'll be looking for an unladen weight under 900lb. To do that with a large teardrop would require that you build it as a lightweight, with no over-size material thrown in 'cos it was lying round the shop. If you're happy to work in 1/4" ply and add stiffeners, then you shouldn't have a problem.

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Re: Harbor Frieght trailer lengthen

Postby Joanne » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:50 pm

sauljordan wrote:I found this forum when I was looking for information about various utility trailers. I purchased a Harbor Frieght Utility trailer. The 1170 pound version, but I am afraid I won't have a utility trailer very long as you have all hooked me on teardrops. I gotta have one. I am still just planning, but I have a question. If I turn the two center rails sideways as recommended, can I stretch the frame out a foot or so longer using those rails to bridge the gap?

I will be using the generic Benroy plans, but building over the wheels and using walls similer to Dee Bee's Zephyr.

Yep, we hooked another one! ;)

Welcome to the madness! Join in and have a great time. It's hard to believe how addictive these little trailers are. If you look at the thread about those building number 2, 3, 4 .... you'll find out that one may not be enough. :lol:

Sounds like you have a nice one planned out. As MadJack says, "We love the pictures!"

Joanne
New! My Camp Cooking Forum

Project Desert Dawg website

Universal Health Care
Health care with the efficiency of the Department of Motor Vehicles
and the compassion of the Internal Revenue Service.
Joanne
Queen of Cast Iron

Thanks

Postby sauljordan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:00 pm

It is Saul, I have always been real imaginative when it comes to screen names, Etc <g>. The trailer is actually the 1475 pound version, so I have a little extra weight capacity available. I have always been a chronic over builder, so I will depend on all of you to keep me light. Does anyone have a guess what an average galley weighs, say the cabinets outlined in the generic benroy plans.

Madjack, you might have to settle for pictures of the wood floor in the den or the new fence in the back yard, as I have to get those projects done before I can begin work on the teardrop. I am hoping to sneak in a scrap wood profile like Dee Bee did; it will help me visualize things more before I start on the real thing. I am hoping it satisfy me while I work on those other projects. If I do I will post a pic of it.

My wife says I have a one track mind, it drives her crazy sometimes; guess what track it's been on. It's going to be nice to have people to talk to. I tend to bounce lots of ideas around.

Andrew, my plan was to turn the two center cross members and insert them into the side rails. Pull the two frame halves apart about a foot so that the relocated cross members joined the two trailer halves. Then drill and bolt everything up and add a new cross member to replace the relocated ones.

Thanks everyone for the help and for feeding a new obsession.
Saul
sauljordan
Donating Member

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Mon Feb 20, 2006 5:00 pm

Saul, when I stretched my H.F. 1475# trailer I did as you mentioned. I turned the center cross braces to run along with the frame rails. I also left the axle plate attached to the rear half. There for the "stretch" is in front of the axle. It was lengthened by 10"s.
Total weight around 750-775# with approx. 105# tounge wight with nothing at all in it.
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets