trailer question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

trailer question

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:47 pm

New Wanna be here!
I went trailer shopping today. We have some rude sales people. One woman insisted if they left the sides off it would cost me significantly more. She also insisted the dump trailer should not be used for TD.s

Our tractor supply didn't have a 5x8 or smaller. Do I need to wrestle someone and order one?

Another tractor supply had a 4x8 that was a box (angle iron) with a square pole coming from the middlel. Will that do? It seemed very light weight. Cost $279.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Loader » Fri Feb 17, 2006 3:59 pm

Check the sticky just above, there is a lot of great info on the TSC 4x8.
Earl & Kerry

"Loader"

Blue Yonder Build Thread - viewtopic.php?f=50&t=42611

ImageImage
Loader
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:17 pm

:oops: Sorry! The first place I checked was TSC. The second was Anderson Tractor Supply. Thier trailer was $279 and seemed flimsey. Thanks for the reply.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby larryl » Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:37 pm

Marium:

I received a similar response from the first TSC I spoke with concerning a 5X8 no floor. Ended up telephoning the factory that manufactures the trailer, Carry-on. Woman I spoke with told me no problem and with this information I returned to the same TSC. They phoned Carry-on, got a firm price and I ordered.

I think you will find that both the 5X8 and 4X8 no floor seems flimsy until you boly the TD to the frame. It stiffens up in a hurry.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:05 pm

LarryL,

What was the price on the 5x8? What other sizes do they offer without a floor?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:57 pm

Miriam, we all severly overbuild our frames. Don't worry if it looks flimsy, it will be more than enough...if you ever get a chance to look under some commercial units, you will see what I mean...all the frame has to do is connect the axle to the tongue and provide a place to bolt your TD to. A well constructed TD is a unibody "torsion" box and is ridged unto itself, all it needs a frame for is a means of connecting to the axle and tongue
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Chuck Craven » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:53 pm

Mike! Carry-on Told me they will go to 5’ X 10’ with a no floor trailer. If I want the axel moved back that was no problem as long as all the specks where in the order.
Unfortunately I had ordered the steel for my home built frame else I would have bought one of theirs. :shock:

Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

TSC

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:26 pm

Thank you all! If I ever get the names right I might do something besides correct myself. TSC manager couldn't find 5x8 so I told him I would ask. You guys are good. :lol: Hubby and I lay inside a 4x8 square and I just don't think that will work. Our shoulders don't quite make it. He is still laughing :twisted:

Next dum question. Do I change the wheel size if I want it taller or do I have to change the hub?
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Chuck Craven » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:51 pm

Miriam C.
The no floor trailer comes with 12” wheels and tiers but if you are ordering a 5 by 8/10 you can get 14 or 15”. Wheels and tiers just cost a little more. The hubs are 5-lug 4.5” pattern. Same as a Ford wheel except the wheels you will get with the trailer are 0 offset. A Ford wheel is 2” or more offset. You may want to order a spare wheel and tire with the trailer. The axel is rated as 2000 lb with 1000 lb springs. Note: The springs are rated as each one, you need two, so max load of the trailer will be a little less than 2000 lb.
I didn’t check with them but you may be able to get a heaver axel and springs but it would be a custom trailer, which you would have to get directly from Carry-on.
Check out there web site, not every thing they make is listed so you have to call them. 8)
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:39 pm

OK! 10 ft. sounds good. The dogs can go too! :applause:
Do you have an idea where the axle should be placed? I can see my savings going down the tube. :roll:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:52 pm

Miriam C. wrote:OK! 10 ft. sounds good. The dogs can go too! :applause:
Do you have an idea where the axle should be placed? I can see my savings going down the tube. :roll:

Sure we all have an idea where the axle should be placed. Here's mine. The axle should be placed in such a way that 10-12% of the total weight is on the trailer hitch. Also placed where fenders won't get in the way of the door. Because of the galley in the back, more weight is behind the axle. Example my 10' trailer is going to weigh about 1100 lbs I put the axle 40" from the back trying to get the tongue weight at about 120 pounds or so. Seems like it worked out. Most trailers are different, all depends on how they are loaded.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:28 am

:shock: You want me to do "math" . Now is where I run, screaming into the night. I will have to pay some close attention to Mike's drawing, or someone's drawing. Going to send the guys away for the weekend while I do this. They will appreciate the warning. :lol:
Thank You!
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby asianflava » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:29 am

I don't know which profile you are leaning towards but keep this in mind. Most 5x10 teardrops use a trailer frame that is around 5x8 or 5x9. If you get a 5x10 trailer, your teardrop may end up being 5X12 (unless that is what you are shooting for.)
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:00 am

MiriamC...at the risk of opening up a real can of worms here...I postition the axle where it is going to look the best in relation with the fenders, the door and rear of the tear...if you don't get way out of control with really heavy items...it'll be fine...For me..I'd rather have a good overall look to the tear, IE in proportion..I can always load it to make up some weight differences...just my thoughts on it...I do figure out where it should go...but then just kick the axle back or forward so that it looks good when I stand back and look at it...cuz, that's what you are going to be spending most of you time doing, as will everyone else...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:15 pm

I couldn't help reading this thread , I'm in sorta' the same dilemma ... was going to use a boat trailer , but they are harder to come by than I had imagined , and of course it'll have to be modified .... So the plan now is to build ... had lists of oversize materials , called my steel man , no dice !!! only has stuff like 2 1/2" x 1/4 angle iron , pipes in different sizes and flat stock ... I was discouraged until I read Mad Jacks description of overbuilt trailers vs commercial units .... feel much better now ... was planning on using the Mech Illst. 1947 plans for trailer (looked lightweight on the plans)... that one went thousands of miles so I guess it's strong enough ... OK, Cool !!!! Thanks Guys for the renewed confidence...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets