How Do I know? Leafs?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

How Do I know? Leafs?

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 7:55 pm

How do I know what kind of trailer my travel trailer was built on? How do I know what kind or size of leafs I need?
Someone had asked previously if I had brakes on my travel trailer. No, I don't have breaks.
It is going to start cooling down soon and we are going to check the underparts and check for rotting wood, rust on the metal frame and add/replace leafs before our big trip in May. I'll be making smaller trips in between now and May. We may also need to pack the bearings. We have read and watched videos on how to pack the bearings and add/replace the leafs. But...how do I know which ones my travel trailer needs?

And before I forget...how can we avoid the fishtailing of the travel trailer? This happened only on one road. I don't know if it was the ruts in the highway, the crosswinds in the Hill Country or the weight was not far enough forward, or the weight was not distributed correctly?
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Re: How Do I know? Leafs?

Postby tony.latham » Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 pm

And before I forget...how can we avoid the fishtailing of the travel trailer?

Load more weight farther forward. Or get rid of weight behind the axle. Or move the axle back.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: How Do I know? Leafs?

Postby Dahlia47 » Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:13 pm

The man who built it built the bed behind the wheels. So, we pull the bed out completely and put the very heavy futon in front of the wheels. (I hate that thing, it's too heavy for me lol) Everything else like blankets and the foldable outdoor canopy also goes in front of the wheels. He built the shelves in front of the wheels as well. Everything on the shelves adds weight too. But for some odd reason, driving through the Hill Country, it swayed several times. We didn't have the canopy that trip though. I'm kinda wondering what may have caused it. And how we can avoid it in the future. Kinda scary. Hasn't happened before.
Dahlia47
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets