Building a frame for a 10'Wanderer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Building a frame for a 10'Wanderer

Postby dangerranger » Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:58 pm

I have drawn this up 3 or 4 times and each time I added something only to remove it.[ the whole point is to be light weight.]
I think I have settled on a 2x2 14 ga square tubing frame With full width cross members under the front and back walls. The frame will be wider than the HF frames setting the wheels out farther toward the outside walls. That should make it more stable going down the road.
I'm thinking of welding the spring hangers to a angle , So that I can move it easily and to stiffen the frame at that point. The angles will be bolted to the frame once I'm sure of the exact location. I'm also thinking of adding a plate in each corner for the stabilizer jack stands to rest on.
I know this is worthless with out a pic. I used to post my pic's to Photobucket and move them here from there but I no longer use them . Any idea of a better way? DR
dangerranger
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Building a frame for a 10'Wanderer

Postby drhill » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:38 pm

I mounted the spring hangers and fender mounts to angle iron and then bolted it to the frame. It worked out great. After using the trailer a bit I moved the axle forward 8" to reduce the tongue weight. I have a tongue mounted bike rack and lots of weight in the tongue box.
Your 2x2 frame will rest on top of the angle iron. Use fairly small bolts and drill horizontal holes through the neutral axis (center line) of the 2 x 2 so you don't weaken it too much.

drhill
Teardrop Master

Re: Building a frame for a 10'Wanderer

Postby drhill » Mon Oct 28, 2019 5:45 pm

I found one more picture that shows the spring mounts and fenders mounted to the angle iron. Hope this helps some.
Yes - that is an old bike frame used for the spare tire hanger.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets