Trying to lighten up here

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trying to lighten up here

Postby rmclarke » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:50 pm

Got a great deal on this 84 Starcraft awhile back....it cleaned up fine....did new hubs & brakes, torsion axle, 6x12 (plus 4 foot tongue), it's very solid....everything I wanted except for the weight! I'm trying to go as light as possible (TV is a Sportage with 6cyl) I haven't scale weighed it, but I'm guessing well over 500# (with wheels and axle).....I already removed one internal cross member (thinking of a drop floor of some sort); that piece weighed 18lbs. So, here's some pics with the pieces I would like to remove:
I would leave the 'outrigger' part of the frame, just taking away the outside pieces; I figured I could shave off at least about 140 lbs. by removing these. Tell me if you see a problem with this all you frame and chassis guys.

Richard
(also thinking of removing those tank-like fenders (not sure what each of those weigh)...except that would just require more building, so I'm not sure about that)
:thinking:
"When a hammer is the only tool you own, every problem begins to look like a nail..."

ImageFrom this: Image to this: Image Finally!!
rmclarke
The 300 Club

Re: Trying to lighten up here

Postby Philip » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:07 am

You can remove the outer rails. It won't weaken it. Your axle is mounted to the inner rails as was the orginal axle.
Philip
Silver Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets