homemade bolt together frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

homemade bolt together frame

Postby shawnjr22 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:36 pm

I just want a 4x8 frame pretty much identical to harbor freights but without the folding part obviously. I don't know how to weld and can't find just a trailer frame anywhere. if anyone can give me a list of what I would need to make a 4x8 steel bolt together frame like the type of steel to use bolt size etc. that would be awesome!
shawnjr22
Teardrop Inspector

Re: homemade bolt together frame

Postby eLink » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:36 pm

You could try figuring it out from the Northern Tool manual:
https://www.northerntool.com/images/dow ... /37552.pdf
All the steel channels are roughly 1/8" thick.
But for the time, effort and expense necessary you might as well just buy the kit.
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby MtnDon » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:32 pm

The holes you would have to drill would have to be in exactly the correct spot to enable a truly square frame. The same thing for locating and drilling the holes to mount the spring mounts. It seems like much bother and very little, if any, gain unless you have some specific need that the standard kit cannot provide.
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Graniterich » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:52 pm

I agree with the previous posts, why reinvent the wheel?

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:57 pm

But for the time, effort and expense necessary you might as well just buy the kit.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tomterrific » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:25 am

I have a very light 4x8 Northern Tool trailer I bought used. I removed the folding feature as soon as I got it. There was a bolt together tab that locked the fold (HF may have the same) plus the strength of the wood camper box on top. A bolt together trailer can be strong enough for a light camper. Plenty of people have proved that.

Tt
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby shawnjr22 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:50 am

Thanks for the info! I love this place haha but all the kits from NT or HF are either back ordered or out of stock so Im looking for other ways to get just a trailer frame to build on here in New Hampshire but I’m having no luck :( I found an older HF folding trailer but the guy want 275 and it looks pretty rusty don’t know if it’s worth it
shawnjr22
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:52 am

...so Im looking for other ways to get just a trailer frame to build on here in New Hampshire but I’m having no luck...

You could order the trailer and start building the cabin. The first teardrop I built was done while on the chassis. I think it's a pain (especially on your shins). Build the cabin and them mount it when it's nearly done. Much easier.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:07 pm

I have built twenty, I guess I have the luxury of knowing what dimensions I need for all galley pieces, but weeks go into finishing both sides of the walls, galley plywood sheet that gets cut later, and the floor. At ten feet you may be stretching plywood which also takes time. Then I assemble all of the pieces and build on trailer. Don't underestimate the time sanding and finishing 150 plus square feet, both sides!

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets