Trailer Registration and VIN

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby cracker39 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:39 pm

Mitheral wrote:They want reciepts to verify you aren't trying to register a stolen trailer.

Makes sense to me. 8)
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:51 pm

NOT! They want your receipts to make sure you've paid your state sales tax...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:03 pm

mikeschn wrote:NOT! They want your receipts to make sure you've paid your state sales tax...

Mike...

Mike, I considered that too. I have a few items, like the fan, wheels, windows, and some minor things that I didn't pay tax on. But, those dummies at my local office won't go through all of my recripts to see that. They don'e even have a clue as to how they will register my trailer. I really dread going there to get it done. I may go to another office in the county and hope for someone more knowledgable.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:18 pm

I plan on assembling my trailer, and registering it as a utility trailer. They seem to know how to handle that kind of stuff.

Then I'll bring it back home and throw the teardrop body on top of it...

After building 2 teardrops and registering them as "Coach Trailers" here in Michigan, and giving them a pile of receipts, I'm done with that...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:28 pm

I'll put it together and have it weighed. If they want to give me any grief, they can call the DMV in Tampa and be told what to do. I was told that if under 2000 lbs, there won't be a title issued. That contradicts what I read on their web site, but I just don't care. All I want is a tag and registration. I'll pay their taxes and fees, because that's all they want anyway...our money.
$>
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby southpennrailroad » Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:47 am

Could this work?

No officer! It is a utility trailer and presently carrying a removable tear drop camper temporarily bolted to the trailer. I use the trailer mostly for hauling other items at home. :yes: :lightbulb:
Long time researching the abandoned South Pennsylvania Railroad along the Pennsylvania Turnpike. God will guide me. As he has done so in the past. southpennrailroad.com
southpennrailroad
500 Club

Postby DestinDave » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:41 am

rampage wrote:
cracker39 wrote:I found more info online re trailer registering in Florida (for any who care). Most trailers are not titled...I know my boat and utility trailers are not, and tags are under $20 per year (but I pay a yearly tax fee for my boat on the trailer as it's titled). But, they state that "travel trailers", and mine fits that class ("camping trailer" has "partially folding walls") IS titled, and the tags are $31.60 per year, AND taxes of $36.60 per year...WOW, $68 a year to pay. If that's correct, that's more than I pay for car and truck tags. I guess I can't get away with registering it as a utility trailer, since it must be inspected because it is home built.

Wow Dale!, They really stick it to us here in FL. :x

Small price to pay for not having a State Income Tax... Not being a smart-ass - I lived in FL for many years and was grateful that tourists filled much of the state coffers...
Dave
Reality? What a concept!
Building "The Salty Tear" - a photo log of the project.
http://www.bluezenphoto.com/p979644357
DestinDave
500 Club

Postby cracker39 » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:08 pm

Dave, I am grateful that there is not state income tax. I just have a thing about DMVs in general. I've never found one that had employees that didn 't act like they were a gift from God and that we, the customer's, should be grateful that they could serve us. And I've seen so many of them just walk away from their stations, with customer's waiting, and stand and talk to someone, or just sit and talk to the station next to them while people stood in a long line and waited. I honestly believe that DMV employees think that they can do what they please and can't be chastised (much less fired) for letting customer's wait on their convenience to help us.
:thumbs down:

Then, when you do get helped, they always find something you need and don't bring. Then, when you come back, they find something else you need and didn't bring. But, do they tell you EVERYTHING you need the first time? Hell NO! That would take the fun out of their job...mainly making customers miserable.
:fb

Sorry about the soapbox...I'll step down now. :grouch day1:
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rampage » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:14 pm

Small price to pay for not having a State Income Tax... Not being a smart-ass - I lived in FL for many years and was grateful that tourists filled much of the state coffers...
Dave[/quote]

Its nice not having the state tax but what most Floridians dont know is that we have consumption taxes that are built into things like gas and alcohol. With my work I see rack prices for fuel and you would be supprised how much of the price is taxes.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:09 am

rampage wrote:Its nice not having the state tax but what most Floridians dont know is that we have consumption taxes that are built into things like gas and alcohol. With my work I see rack prices for fuel and you would be supprised how much of the price is taxes.

That applies to all the states, it's just a little more in FL. Gas is always higher when I go home, especially those price gougers along I-10 and I-75 (for some reason not so bad along I-95 and I-4). I found a place in Tallahassee less than a mile further off the interstate that is typically .10/gal cheaper than the stations right on the interstate. It must be one of the cheaper places in town because it is usually packed.

When my wife was going to school in Tallahassee, she said some people would drive up to GA to buy their gas, it is that much cheaper.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby cracker39 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:45 am

I looked for charts with gasoline taxes by state, and found several, but none that are really useful. One site had charts from 2000 through 2005 with state excise and "other" taxes, but did not include the applicable state taxes by state, so it wasn't totally accurate. The only chart I found will ALL taxes included were for 1998 and 2002. In 1998, Hawaii was the highest, and the next 6 in decending order were CN, NV, NY, RI WI and FL. In 2002, CA had moved up to 3rd, IL up to 6th, and FL dropped to 9th place with $.48 state taxes. AL was the lowest, with GA next lowest at $30.6.
Dale

cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:57 pm

cracker39 wrote:Dave, I am grateful that there is not state income tax. I just have a thing about DMVs in general. I've never found one that had employees that didn 't act like they were a gift from God and that we, the customer's, should be grateful that they could serve us. And I've seen so many of them just walk away from their stations, with customer's waiting, and stand and talk to someone, or just sit and talk to the station next to them while people stood in a long line and waited. I honestly believe that DMV employees think that they can do what they please and can't be chastised (much less fired) for letting customer's wait on their convenience to help us.
:thumbs down:

Then, when you do get helped, they always find something you need and don't bring. Then, when you come back, they find something else you need and didn't bring. But, do they tell you EVERYTHING you need the first time? Hell NO! That would take the fun out of their job...mainly making customers miserable.
:fb

Sorry about the soapbox...I'll step down now. :grouch day1:

Dale,

Haven't gone through the process yet getting the TD tagged, but I would like to say that the DMV people here in St Johns County Florida are very good at what they do, move an unblievable amount of people through their process very quickly and professionally. However, I have been to DMV's in 4 other Florida counties and they suck, for various reasons.

Steve
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Bandit » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:41 am

I liked the idea of registering the trailer as a utility trailer and then completing the build of the Weekender.
The problem is, in the state of Tennessee you do not have to register a utility trailer. I asked, what if I want to pull it to other states?, they stated that as long as I am pulling it with a vehicle tagged in TN, they would honor the no tag for utility trailer.
So, now I have to go through the whole inspection process after I complete the build.
I'd hate to find out that it is un-registerable after I get it complete!
:cry:
:x
:thinking:
First Metal Cut 02/11/06
Complete! (Almost) 08/22/06
Looking for a trip in the SPRING!!!!
Not Up to Testing the Heater!!!
Thanks for all the HELP!!!!
Bandit
Donating Member

Registration and Vin . . . .

Postby rooster » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:55 pm

Bandit, Here in Alaska I filled out a form to get the title and a registration plus a license plate. I told the lady what kind of trailer it was, she said okay and out I walked. ($65.00) This telling the DMV that you have a utility trailer and its not might get ones tit in a ringer down the road when there is an accident. Just my .03 worth.

Jim, :roll:
Beware of what she wishes....especially with that twinkle in her eye and that mischievious smile....you know it's gonna cost....
rooster
Donating Member

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:10 pm

Bandit, mine is titled as utility trailer........ No worries the frame is there the vin is there and all lights work soooooo no problems...
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets