So, I thought finding a new trailer would be easy

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: So, I thought finding a new trailer would be easy

Postby saltydawg » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:34 am

kfh227 wrote:Nope, it looks like IF you use two trailers to make one, you need to prove ownership for both.
But if scratch built, I need a Vin?

Do I get the Vin once entirely built?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk[/quote]

Yes it looks like marylands way of doing it. You build the trailer, take them pics and all the receipts from all the parts and they issue you a vin. So you buy 300 bucks of steel, 300 buck axle, 50 bucks in lights and wiring, etc etc you bring them the reciepts. It probably also like maryland, they want the tax money.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby PCO6 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:37 pm

kfh227 wrote:Do I get the Vin once entirely built?
Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

This won't help you one bit but for the first home built of mine in Ontario I simply asked what the process was and 10 minutes later I walked out with an ownership and plates I'd barely started building the trailer! The only things they wanted to know were the colour and the weight. In both cases I just guessed and that was good enough. It's a terrible system. I've had as many as 3 ownerships and plates sitting in my garage with no trailer for them yet. btw - There's no actual V.I.N. for a home built here. There is a registration number on the ownership form and I always stamp that on to the chassis. It's also a one time fee of $25.

Hopefully you'll be as lucky!
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby tony.latham » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:39 pm

The prices I've heard about for custom frames seem insane.

Also, custom trailers sound like they are harder to register.

Do you register them once the rolling frame is done or when construction is complete?

I'd take my plans to a few local welders and ask for a bid.

The short answer is that it's done after the camper is complete. In Idaho, it has to be registered as a camper.

Here, you would need to have the reciept for the trailer or materials along with all the other items you purchased for the build. They want to know what you didn't pay tax on and ensure nothing was stolen. They've never looked at my documentaion real hard, but that may be obvious that I have my ducks in a row presenting them and the Excel spread sheet with two columns, taxed and untaxed.

It's about a forty-five-minute deal which includes them stamping a VIN on the tongue. I'm rather certain that trying to ensure a teardrop that is registered as a utility trailer isn't going to work.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:33 pm

We seem to have it easy enough here.
My trailer is already registered and all I have to do is weigh it to get the new tare weight, fill out a form to re-register it as a caravan, and pay the fee.
People at the local Service SA office have already told me to turn up with the weighbridge docket and the completed form and they will inspect it in the car park.
Registration is $84 per year so no worse than an ordinary box trailer or boat trailer.

If it was a homemade trailer, the process is still much the same. Get a temporary permit so you can tow it to the weighbridge, then take it to the local caravan joint who will inspect it and ensure it complies with Vehicle Standards Bulletin 1, and then off you go to the Service SA office to complete the job.
Not hard.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby Corbin628 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:38 am

kfh227 wrote:
Ottsville wrote:
kfh227 wrote:?

Connecticut says this:
https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Inspections/I ... s-Homemade

Which implies that I need to repurpose two trialers to make one?

Nope, it looks like IF you use two trailers to make one, you need to prove ownership for both.

For what it's worth, I built and registered my trailer in CT. I welded the frame myself at a friends house and then towed it back home via backroads to avoid any unwanted eyes. I then built the entire camper and added all required lighting and safety devices to satisfy CT's laws. I went to the DMV and got a two week temporary registration to bring it in for inspection. I then went to the Wethersfield DMV inspection lane (Make sure you allow at least 2 hours) and they looked everything over. As their website says, make sure you have every receipt for all the lighting and axle and steel ETC that you used to build the basic trailer frame. They don't care about the camper portion itself but they did ask me to open the hatch to look inside which I think was more just to see what it was. They gave me a VIN sticker and affixed it to the trailer tongue. You don't make any payments at the inspection lane. I then went to the DMV to get the registration and plate. I paid the $90 in fees and got my plate. I'm now free to roam. Let me know if you have any questions or want to check out my build for inspiration.
Corbin628
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kfh227 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:46 am

Corbin628 wrote:
kfh227 wrote:
Ottsville wrote:
kfh227 wrote:?

Connecticut says this:
https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Inspections/I ... s-Homemade

Which implies that I need to repurpose two trialers to make one?

Nope, it looks like IF you use two trailers to make one, you need to prove ownership for both.

For what it's worth, I built and registered my trailer in CT. I welded the frame myself at a friends house and then towed it back home via backroads to avoid any unwanted eyes. I then built the entire camper and added all required lighting and safety devices to satisfy CT's laws. I went to the DMV and got a two week temporary registration to bring it in for inspection. I then went to the Wethersfield DMV inspection lane (Make sure you allow at least 2 hours) and they looked everything over. As their website says, make sure you have every receipt for all the lighting and axle and steel ETC that you used to build the basic trailer frame. They don't care about the camper portion itself but they did ask me to open the hatch to look inside which I think was more just to see what it was. They gave me a VIN sticker and affixed it to the trailer tongue. You don't make any payments at the inspection lane. I then went to the DMV to get the registration and plate. I paid the $90 in fees and got my plate. I'm now free to roam. Let me know if you have any questions or want to check out my build for inspiration.

Excellent description of the process!!!!!! Thank you!!!!
kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets