So, I thought finding a new trailer would be easy

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

So, I thought finding a new trailer would be easy

Postby kfh227 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:37 pm

I wanted to just buy a trailer and do the building on top myself. I can do everything on top. That's no problem.

But I have to tell you after a few days looking around the forum and googling, etc .... It seems like the new frames that were available from HF and Tractor Supply (I think those were two places anyway) are no longer available.

So I am at a loss. Are there any new kits available or companies that make the base frame we need as a starting point?

For what it's worth I want to do a 5x10 build. I was thinking 5x8 at one point but if doing all the work, might as well go 5x10 to avoid regrets later.

I guess this is good of a starting point as any. Help me out :beer:
kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Re: So, I thought finding a new trailer would be easy

Postby saltydawg » Sat Aug 29, 2020 10:56 pm

What weight range, axle type ( spring, torsion ) and use type, ie off road on road etc?

Those answers will matter for where to look.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:44 am

You might go to a fabricator and ask for a bid on a custom trailer. You can do the paint and wiring yourself.

Here's my chassis detail:

I build the chassis 59.5" wide for a 60" cabin so the bottom trim on an aluminim sheathed teardrop doesn't ride on the frame.

It's made from 2" .120" square tubing. (In the end, I didn't need the crossmembers under the tongue box so I left them off.)

That'll give you a fine foundation.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Graniterich » Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:32 am

I have bought three from harbor freight in the last two months. The get new stock every week, never know what will be on the truck, good luck!

Sent from my KFKAWI using Tapatalk
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby kfh227 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:07 pm

saltydawg wrote:What weight range, axle type ( spring, torsion ) and use type, ie off road on road etc?

Those answers will matter for where to look.
Total weight? I'd guess 1600 pounds.

Prefer spring. Will add shocks if possible.

I've seen off road trailers. Where are people taking these? I figure rv parks or camp grounds mostly. I doubt the terrain will ever be an issue. I'd just rather drive slow for 1 mile if I have to.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kfh227 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:11 pm

tony.latham wrote:You might go to a fabricator and ask for a bid on a custom trailer. You can do the paint and wiring yourself.

Here's my chassis detail:

........ .

Tony
The prices I've heard about for custom frames seem insane.

Also, custom trailers sound like they are harder to register.

Do you register them once the rolling frame is done or when construction is complete?

kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Sun Aug 30, 2020 10:36 pm

kfh227 wrote:The prices I've heard about for custom frames seem insane.

Also, custom trailers sound like they are harder to register.

Do you register them once the rolling frame is done or when construction is complete?

That's the route we took, and the prices, at least in Albuquerque, are indeed much higher than I was led to believe reading some of the material on this forum.

Every state is different regarding registration. When we finish our teardrop, we'll take it back to the place that made our frame and they'll give us the paperwork. We'll take that to the MVD (that's New Mexican for "DMV") (No, I don't know why they did that) and we should have no problems. :worship:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby MickinOz » Mon Aug 31, 2020 1:15 am

kfh227 wrote: For what it's worth I want to do a 5x10 build. I was thinking 5x8 at one point but if doing all the work, might as well go 5x10 to avoid regrets later.

I did a 9' long build because that is the length my trailer would accommodate.
I wouldn't do it again.
We can rarely get anything bigger than an 8' sheet here. So I had to join sheets.
So I had to order a cutter for my router.
So in the end, a one weekend job cutting out my sidewalls turned into at least three weekends.
MickinOz
1000 Club
1000 Club

Location: Somewhere, in 379,725 square miles of South Australia

Postby kfh227 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:51 am

MickinOz wrote:
kfh227 wrote: For what it's worth I want to do a 5x10 build. I was thinking 5x8 at one point but if doing all the work, might as well go 5x10 to avoid regrets later.

I did a 9' long build because that is the length my trailer would accommodate.
I wouldn't do it again.
We can rarely get anything bigger than an 8' sheet here. So I had to join sheets.
So I had to order a cutter for my router.
So in the end, a one weekend job cutting out my sidewalls turned into at least three weekends.
I live in a populated area. I figure I should be able to get bigger sheets.

kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Postby saltydawg » Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:44 am

I have to wonder what prices people hear/get for a custom trailer are. I know I will have about a $1000 bucks in mine with the toflex axle, if i went spring it would be like 700-800.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 8:48 am

kfh227 wrote:I wanted to just buy a trailer and do the building on top myself. I can do everything on top. That's no problem.

But I have to tell you after a few days looking around the forum and googling, etc .... It seems like the new frames that were available from HF and Tractor Supply (I think those were two places anyway) are no longer available.

So I am at a loss. Are there any new kits available or companies that make the base frame we need as a starting point?

For what it's worth I want to do a 5x10 build. I was thinking 5x8 at one point but if doing all the work, might as well go 5x10 to avoid regrets later.

I guess this is good of a starting point as any. Help me out :beer:

As mentioned before, HF gets new stuff each week but they don't know what's on the truck. I found my local store's truck came on Wednesday so I called every Wednesday afternoon. Took three weeks but I got a trailer.

If you have a trailer fabricator in the area, you could ask them to build a stripped down version of one of their stock trailers for you; no sides, gate or fenders. Still a lot more than an HF trailer but usually better built. You may have to wait until they do another run of that trailer type.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Squigie » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:28 am

Just remember that with HF / NT trailers, you're stuck with their flimsy axle, little spindles, and tiny tires, unless you throw even more money at it.
Whereas, if you build or have a frame built, you can easily design to accommodate larger tires that ride better, wear better, and are naturally less prone to bounce.

Also remember that if you run 5.3x12 tires (like those on the HF trailers), you always take the chance of being affected by yet another tire recall, even if your tires are not the ones recalled. The 5.3x12 tire market is absolutely flooded with cheap Chinese and Indian tires. At least once a year, there's a recall on one or more brand and model, which eats up almost all, if not all of the available supply of decent tires. It's probably just my bad luck again, but I've been bitten twice by recalls, simply because I needed a replacement when all that was left on the market was cheap Chinese trash.

The most recent example was this past Friday.
I had to replace the tires on the family trailer (pop up tent trailer) earlier this year (pre-Coronapocalypse) due to age and a large tread chunk separating on one. But, at that time, quality 5.3x12 tires were in short supply. Even the cheap imports were out of stock most places.
I bought what seemed to have the best reviews out of what was available to me, and figured I'd run them for a while until a domestic tire was available.

That trailer got its chance at its first trip of the year this past weekend, and made it only 19 miles, before this started (~1" bubble). It had a total of 22 miles on it by the time I was able to stop in a safe place to deal with it (~2" bubble). The remaining bubble shown in the photos is what remained pressurized after I removed the core from the valve stem, and after the bubble had reached about 8" beyond tire diameter and 6" out the sidewall.
Only one used Carlisle 5.3x12 tire was found within about a 40 mile radius. The rest of the shops had nothing at all, or cheap Chinese crap; with one outlier having a "Hi-Run" tire (a "better" Chinese tire).

bubbles.jpg
bubbles.jpg (273.79 KiB) Viewed 2518 times

bubble2.jpg
bubble2.jpg (297.73 KiB) Viewed 2518 times

Minor note: These "Parts Million" tires are the same as some of the tires that were issued as replacements for the recalled HF tires. :frightened:

The TD is going to run LT tires, common LT tires.
Aside from improved ride quality, I can get replacements anywhere. Even if not exactly the correct size, I can get something that will be close enough.

kfh227 wrote:I've seen off road trailers. Where are people taking these?

Off road, mostly. ;)

There is a certain portion of the population - particularly out west - that doesn't enjoy staying in campgrounds, state parks, recreation areas, etc. We'd rather find our own place, away from the people, the noise, the utilities, the generators, the smells, the AC compressors, the heat of sun-baked asphalt, the fees, the traffic, the graffiti, the abused equipment and poorly maintain facilities, and even the accessible dirt roads.
...The kind of people that work their way up a remote, overgrown logging road (when legal), look out from a mountain top and see a rough jeep trail around an isolated alpine lake, way off in the distance, and think, "I am going to be there tomorrow."
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby kfh227 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 10:50 am

So if I build a trailer from scratch , what's the process?

I live in Connecticut.

Might go talk to my friend about it. He knows everyone.

Connecticut says this:
https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Inspections/I ... s-Homemade

Which implies that I need to repurpose two trialers to make one?

If I can get a frame made for $1200 I'll do it.
kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ottsville » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:16 am

kfh227 wrote:?

Connecticut says this:

Nope, it looks like IF you use two trailers to make one, you need to prove ownership for both.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby kfh227 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:18 am

Ottsville wrote:
kfh227 wrote:?

Connecticut says this:

Nope, it looks like IF you use two trailers to make one, you need to prove ownership for both.
But if scratch built, I need a Vin?

Do I get the Vin once entirely built?

kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets