Rate my trailer plan

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Rate my trailer plan

Postby jamorgan3777 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 5:50 pm

Trailer.jpg
Trailer.jpg (267.04 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

Would like to get your opinions on my trailer frame plan. I am looking to use 2x3x0.083 for everything except the tongue. That will be 3x3x0.120. The main rails will be the edge of the trailer box. The sides will be steps that are covered with diamond plate. I plan to use flexiride torsion axles with 15" wheels on 5x4.5 hubs.

Do I need additional cross or gusset bracing?
jamorgan3777
Teardrop Builder

Re: Rate my trailer plan

Postby tony.latham » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:46 pm

It looks fine to me. The Flexride will act as another cross member of course.

If this is a teardrop those front steps may be in the way. The classical teardrop doorway is like sitting on the edge of a bed.

Just a thought.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby saltydawg » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:50 pm

What size is that 7 long by the grid lines? What is you over planned weight going to be?

It looks similar to my design, except I did not use 3x3 for the tongue, I think that is over kill, I used 2x3 .120. As for gussets I think it could use them in the rear, I would try to plan them to also have the stabilizers attached to them, kill two birds with one stone.

I dont have gussets on mine but the tongue on mine is attached to more cross braces, at a steeper angle than yours are. My over all size for the deck is 10x5.5

pic of mine because
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby jamorgan3777 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:33 pm

What is shown is supposed to be 5x9. Each larger square is 1 foot Thanks for the pointers
jamorgan3777
Teardrop Builder

Postby saltydawg » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:50 pm

jamorgan3777 wrote:What is shown is supposed to be 5x9. Each larger square is 1 foot Thanks for the pointers

Okay I thought the front box was for a tongue box.

Oh you do want your cross supports about every 2 feet
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby drhill » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:57 pm

A 3x3" tongue isn't always overkill. If you want to haul bikes, add another foot to that tongue. Easy to cut if down later if you want.
drhill
Teardrop Master

Postby troubleScottie » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:08 pm

The tongue parts should be attached to frame in at least 2 points. You diagram appears to have that.

As someone else said, a couple more cross pieces would be good. Plywood might have difficulty supporting a span over 2 feet. Depends on how the floor is constructed eg just plywood, torsion box and what is on top of it.

Not sure what the center line of the tongue is. It looks like two pieces side by side. You stated 3x3.

Your outriggers might be served to have a triangle in front and rear. Real knee/shin removers other wise.

Looking at the other builds often use 0.120 thickness. I do not know the strength equations or how hard it is weld one or the other.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:46 pm

Your frame drawing is very close to mine, Tony's on Q again your entry / exit may be affected;
Don't Know what your tongue angle is but try 50 deg that's what some couplers are, and run them out to your outside rails at that angle not to the front peek at mine if it doesn't make sense I like the space I will be gaining.

Build it just heavy enough it's not to heavy.120
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jamorgan3777 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Excellent additional comments. Thanks for the suggestions.

Got my welder all set up (or at least will this evening). Went with solid core wire and gas (as opposed to flux core) and plan to practice a lot before I start making welds that count. My plan is to make a welding table first out of the same materials the frame will be made of to learn/practice.

Still deciding on what axle type to use. I am debating between the standard leaf spring and a torsion axle setup (timbren, flexiride, etc). I like the relative simplicity of the torsion, but am worried about getting it lined up right. Plan to add electric brakes.

I think I am sticking with 2"x3" x0.084 throughout. Will decide on the tongue at game time (leaning more toward 2"x3" x1/8"

I do like the idea of knocking the corners off the step plates. Those can be a real shin splitter.

For cabin design I am going a little more boxy with a "pull out drawer" galley and a top storage hatch above that. This allows me to use two standard doors without having to make one (worried about getting home made doors to seal).

For skin I am planning to glass the roof and sides and then a couple of coats of bed liner. Black from about 18" down on all sides and then grey or tan all the way up. Planning black doors and trim. Still looking for sources of wider trim that is easily bent.
jamorgan3777
Teardrop Builder

Postby saltydawg » Wed Sep 16, 2020 12:33 pm

jamorgan3777 wrote:I think I am sticking with 2"x3" x0.084 throughout. Will decide on the tongue at game time (leaning more toward 2"x3" x1/8"

For cabin design I am going a little more boxy with a "pull out drawer" galley and a top storage hatch above that. This allows me to use two standard doors without having to make one (worried about getting home made doors to seal).

For skin I am planning to glass the roof and sides and then a couple of coats of bed liner. Black from about 18" down on all sides and then grey or tan all the way up. Planning black doors and trim. Still looking for sources of wider trim that is easily bent.

Good choices on framing size in my mind.

as for the trim, if your glassing iit, as in glass and resin you dont need trim. And pre made doors and windows have their own trim pieces.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Sep 16, 2020 2:06 pm

I looked quickly and didn't find a picture of the front but here is what i did, my intent is sliders if they hit, (Not Me) we continue on. City bumpers
Attachments
.125.jpg
.125.jpg (59.93 KiB) Viewed 2723 times
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby jamorgan3777 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 9:57 am

Hello all!

Been off trying to teach myself how to weld in prep for the trailer build. I am making progress! Have completed a welding table and am working on a welding cart. I know these are not trailers, but they are illustrative of the process and in some ways harder. A trailer needs to be square and true with solid welds, but that is also what I am striving for with these other projects. In some ways the trailer is easier as its just a rectangle frame with some cross members.

Now on to my question about corners.

I am planning 2"x3"x0.083" material for the frame and tongue. I understand that all joints will need full welds. However, is the preference to miter the corners or to use a butt joint with a cap over the open tubes? I dont like the idea of open tubes as you are looking at rust eventually. I plan to prime/por the entire frame. I didnt know if miter joints were considered less strong than butt joints.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
jamorgan3777
Teardrop Builder

Postby saltydawg » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:38 am

Mitered joints look better and some say are easier to weld due to not dealing with the rounded edge of the tube.

I used butt welded and capped the open tube. Strength wise I dont think there is a difference as long as you cap the open end.

Now to help you get better on welding here is a simple and cheap exercise. Get a 48 inch 1x1 square tube and cut off 10 of 1 to 2 inch pieces. One at a time weld them to the left over piece of 1 x 1. Some times weld one side, sometimes 2 some all 4 sides. then after you weld each piece take a sledge hammer and try to break them off. You will quickly learn what holds and does not, and you will get practice on flat joints and 90 degree ones. When your done it will look like a medieval weapon with a bunch of smashed pieces bristling out from every side. Well if you got them to stick and not break off that is.

I did the above practice, one to learn my new migs settings, two practice. At the end of it I could not break off the little pieces, they smashed and bent over. In the beginning some where breaking off with two hits.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby twisted lines » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:41 pm

Mitered is usually preferred, cleaner & more area of weld = a stronger joint without gussets or more weight.
if your getting the 1" square get two thickness :NC
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets