Semi-custom trailer vs local welder vs home built

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Semi-custom trailer vs local welder vs home built

Postby publife » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:05 am

Up front, I have literally never welded. The makerspace where I'll be building 'the box' does have welding equipment, and the folks there are happy to help, but personally constructing the trailer seems kind of risky given my inexperience.

It seems as though I can buy an 82" x 10' trailer with a single 3500lb axle with brakes for about $1500, and I think I can pay a little extra for a dexter axle, though even reading here hasn't yet made me totally clear on why they're so much preferred. The online site has a number of extra options available that may also serve me well.

As a third alternative, I could, as many do, draw up my own plans and approach a local steel shop and have them put it together for me. I'm not sure how much money this would save, and I'm not sure what issues that might present when it comes to registration in Florida. The same applies to building it myself, of course, but it would avoid some of the danger of my inexperience. I imagine any decent shop could steer me clear of any particularly bad ideas.

Anyone care to weigh in? My budget isn't limitless, but the trailer wouldn't break the bank. I would consider welding a useful skill to be familiar with, if it's something a complete novice could tackle safely. Thanks so much!
publife
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Semi-custom trailer vs local welder vs home built

Postby twisted lines » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:37 am

I looked at the drawings you have done, keep at the box take some scraps in and ask for help with set up and technics with the welders available at your makerspace, play with it then decide.
If there is someone that will spend 1/2 hour with you that's good you can (most likely) do a nice job; with a good Mig set up, even better if they will give you a hand for a day.
Not something you hear from a welder but I have seen a lot of people pick it up :o
I do fear someone that sucks. as everyone should.......
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:38 am

I spent most of my working career doing non destructive testing and that was about 80% weld testing. I have seen a lot of really bad welds done by 'experienced' welders. One test lab had weld machines for those certifying as welders and I spent time learning how to make mistakes.
Flexride axel https://www.southwestwheel.com/p-3027-3500-lb-flexiride-torsion-axle-wbrakes.aspx rather than Dexter, I am going to replace our Dexter as after 12 years it is sagging and the Flexride is adjustable after the fact. If you plan on extensive off road there are other choices that are better choices than rubber torsion.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:52 am

I would consider welding a useful skill to be familiar with...

I suggest watching some Youtube welding videos, grab some scrap steel and someone from your Makerspace and jump in. I think you'll be amazed at how much you can learn in a short time with someone to mentor you.

And about axles... I use Dexter torsion axles (just like the U.S. military on their utility trailers). I've got one that must be thirty years old and is doing fine. When it's time to install the axle, grab that guy again.

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby twisted lines » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:44 am

License, that is a factor that could change things.
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ottsville » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:43 pm

Learning to stick two pieces of metal together isn't that hard, learning to do it well can be a different story. That said, by all means, try it. Weld some scrap together then try to break those welds. Cut them apart across the weld and look at your welds closely. If your makerspace has competent welders, see if you can do all the cutting and layup, then find somebody who will weld the critical areas for some beer and you weld the rest.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby saltydawg » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:06 pm

What I did when I got my new welder to learn it and test it was to take a 1x1 tube and cut 3 inch pieces off. I then welded them at 90 degrees to the rest of the tube, some where welded only in the corners, some where the flats only and some where all the way around. After I welded them I tried to break them off with a hammer. After a few tries with the settings I got to the point where they would rip the metal when just welded on 2 parts, to just crush and not break off when welded all the way. It was a great exercise to learn what worked with that welder.

In the end I got great welds and a great zombie weapon.
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby publife » Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:51 am

Thanks, guys! I'll get some lessons with one of the regulars and see if it seems like something I can manage safely. I have to admit, the idea of being able to look at the camper and know that it's all my doing from the ground up is appealing.
publife
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets