Custom trailer price question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Custom trailer price question

Postby kfh227 » Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:21 am

I just asked for an estimate on a trailer.

Wanted 6'8"x10' with straight spring axle and removeable tongue. It's steel and they said it's 2x3 tubular steel construction.

What price should I expect. I am a bit worried because I think I'm going to get slammed for shipping as it's not made local.
kfh227
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Custom trailer price question

Postby saltydawg » Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:04 pm

kfh227 wrote:I just asked for an estimate on a trailer.

Wanted 6'8"x10' with straight spring axle and removeable tongue. It's steel and they said it's 2x3 tubular steel construction.

What price should I expect. I am a bit worried because I think I'm going to get slammed for shipping as it's not made local.

Well the cost to build it is about 1000 bucks not including labor. I would figure a very fair price would 2k with size and tongue, but I will bet it would be around 2500, which still is not bad

edit if it was 5x8 with a normal tongue 1500 is fair, add things like brakes and the price goes up for larger trailers
Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Postby TimC » Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:02 pm

My steel 5x8 was $1400 about five years ago built by a local independent welding shop. I supplied everything except the raw metal tubing. Since then I've added electric brakes, something I wished I had thought of when building.

Hope that helps.
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:45 pm

I'll WAG (wild ass guess) it at about $2000 without shipping.

If you get slammed with shipping, I would suggest drawing something up and taking it around the block to a couple of welding fabricators. Every town has a few. Put the axle at 60/40 on the frame and have it bid with 2" x 3" 14 gauge steel for the frame. 4' for the tongue.

The steel for the last teardrop chassis I made (in 2019) was $260. Lights, rims fenders, etc was another $265. $150 for tires.

You can paint and wire it yourself of course and that'll save quite a bit.

And the other option is to learn to weld. It's a craft, not an art and it's not a steep learning curve. You can buy a decent MIG
welder for $500 or less. Here's my wife welding her son's chassis up:

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dogcatcher » Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:51 pm

Around here, Abilene, Texas, a custom trailer will cost considerably more than a comparable "off the shelf" trailer from one of the larger trailer manufacturers. Welders command high dollar in the oilfield, the materials that I buy cost more than the manufacturers, because I cannot buy in bulk semi trailer loads. Same for tires, axles, springs etc.. The prices of "off the shelf" trailers have also increased quite a bit in the last 4 years. A 16 foot flatbed pipe rail trailer cost $1300 in 2017, today that same trailer sells for $1750.

My advice is find the trailer, then design and build around it. Or go the HF trailer route.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets