Ironton trailer assembly

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Ironton trailer assembly

Postby TwilaR » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:06 pm

I knew from reading a zillion reviews that the manual for this trailer may be misleading, as I think there was a design change? But I watched every youtube video I could find, pored over the assembly pdf, and figured no worries, I can do this.

Unpacked everything today, laid out all the parts and pieces, didn't look too intimidating. Buzzing right along until... on my trailer there are no holes to bolt the tow bars to the frame. Spent the last hour double checking everything, all looks good until that part.

Some people in their reviews did say things didn't line up and they had to drill holes; anyone have this happen?
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Re: Ironton trailer assembly

Postby rjgimp » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:38 pm

-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby eLink » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:26 am

TwilaR wrote:.. on my trailer there are no holes to bolt the tow bars to the frame. Spent the last hour double checking everything, all looks good until that part.

Some people in their reviews did say things didn't line up and they had to drill holes; anyone have this happen?

Are you saying the bolt holes are missing from one of these areas?
NT Trailer.JPG
NT Trailer.JPG (46.54 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

On mine, a few holes were out of alignment, but not missing. I was really disappointed that my axle spring mounting holes were way off-center!
eLink
Teardrop Master

Postby TimC » Sun Jan 31, 2021 10:56 am

On the last one I put together, their steel 5x8, I was confused with the hole alignment for the tongue. After loosely assembling the coupler and tongue it all seemed to fall into place then when placed onto the frame. The hole aligned. My brain just hadn't previously. I dont know if you are experiencing the same confusion.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby TwilaR » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:17 am

eLink, yes, in the two smaller circles. No holes at all in the frame that line up.

TimC, I did attach the coupler plate to the rails and laid it on the frame, moving it around thinking the same thing.

I'm snowed in now, and I just read something somewhere else that may be helpful. I'm heading to the barn to find out.
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:18 pm

If you end up having to drill holes, clamp the tongue assemble to the frame, and true it up from the axle.

:frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby TwilaR » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:49 pm

SUCCESS! The workaround mentioned deep in the reviews was to reuse the bolt hole at the crossmember where it terminates, and flip the first crossmember so it faces out. Voila, the hole is on the other side, and now the tongue is on there.

Thank you to everyone who chimed in; y'all are GOLD.
TwilaR
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets