Adding length and width to trailer frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Adding length and width to trailer frame

Postby alexlopez1633 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:52 pm

Hey all,

So I have finally finished demo on my trailer which happens to be a 4x8, I am wanting to extend the length by a foot and the width 6" on each side so to make it a 5x9 trailer, or can I just add the extra foot in width to one side of the trailer/frame? I already know that I will need to get a wider axle which I plan to replace the one that is on there now with a Dexter Torsion Axle, but I was wanting to know what is the best way to go about extending my trailer frame?

I've included the link to pictures for reference,

Thanks and happy building!

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1pWJbOVVKRgc2T5xOaUwkf6DX4ZC4RyBC?usp=sharing
Last edited by alexlopez1633 on Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alexlopez1633
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Adding length and width to trailer frame

Postby saltydawg » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:06 pm

You dont need a longer axle if you dont mind the wheels tucked inside the walls of the trailer a little. A queen bed will still fit if you use a foam bed and squish it a little around the wheel wells.

As for making it wider, that easy just weld on some out riggers that are wide enough for what you need. You will need to decide what metal you will use as the outside edge and make them that much shorter than 6 inches. See my pic below for the outrigger if you dont under stand. I used angle that I cut around the outriggers to have something for the floor to sit on, and one on the bottom turned out to have the walls sit on. Although if you doing wood walls you would not want them sitting on a shelf due to it holding water.

Scott
Lost in Maryland
2021 just said to 2020, hold my beer and watch this.
saltydawg
500 Club

Re: Adding length and width to trailer frame

Postby dogcatcher » Wed Feb 03, 2021 5:17 pm

Since you are a teacher, I say hit up the high school ag teacher, this would be a good project for the students.
dogcatcher
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets