My wheel came off!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: My wheel came off!

Postby Squigie » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:08 pm

Lug nuts or bolts came loose - at least three of them.
That takes at least a little bit of time. Can be quick, but not instant. But, based on the "wear grease" pattern on the wheel, I'd say this took some mileage to reach finality.

Think carefully about what you were experiencing in the minute, 5 minutes, and 15 minutes before the moment of terror.
A loose wheel like that causes vibration, which gets worse and worse, until it all goes bad. Even though it was on the trailer, you should have still felt the vibration, and possibly even "hopping" of the trailer. The trailer should have also been visibly shaking before the last/second-to-last lug nut or bolt let go.

If you can remember what that felt like, you should be able to recognize it if it happens again, and stop before it gets to this point.

Having experienced several tire blowouts on several vehicles, it only took me about 3 seconds to recognize the problem when I felt the slightest vibration coming from this tire. The trailer seemed to be vibrating, too; but I wasn't 100% certain. At that time, the bubble was tiny. But by the time I was able to slowly make my way off of the highway, it was about a 3" bubble at the top of the off-ramp - and clearly visible in my mirror as I made the turn. Another 1/2 mile down the road, in a totally safe place to stop, jack the trailer, and change the tire, it looked like this. I was very happy to have recognized the symptom and gotten off of the highway immediately (-ish -- the next exit was about 2 miles away when I felt it).

Brand new tire, too. :x
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Squigie wrote:...
Having experienced several tire blowouts on several vehicles, it only took me about 3 seconds to recognize the problem when I felt the slightest vibration coming from this tire. The trailer seemed to be vibrating, too; but I wasn't 100% certain. At that time, the bubble was tiny. But by the time I was able to slowly make my way off of the highway, it was about a 3" bubble at the top of the off-ramp - and clearly visible in my mirror as I made the turn. Another 1/2 mile down the road, in a totally safe place to stop, jack the trailer, and change the tire, it looked like this. I was very happy to have recognized the symptom and gotten off of the highway immediately (-ish -- the next exit was about 2 miles away when I felt it).

Brand new tire, too. :x

what was the manufacture date on that tire ?

i've had "new" tires(over 5 years of age bitt never on the ground) do similar things just riding on the spare rack

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby gudmund » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:09 pm

maybe a bit late for this suggestion, but when you get this problem fixed - I suggest you invest in a 'clik'- ratcheting torque wench along with the 'proper' sized socket for the trailer lug nuts (along with the socket sized right for your tow vehicle also) I personally carry one in each vehicle I own (car has one under the drivers seat - PU tow vehicle has one right behind the drive seat) both are easily accessed at all times for use whenever I feel the need to check the torque, along with being the PUtruck one is seen every time I open the door it ends up being a 'good' reminder for me to check everything. As far as the $$$?.... have had good luck with the 'HF' cheap version (found it to be the same version being sold by W-M for twice the $$) have checked it again my good $$expensive$$ one from my shop toolbox numerus times and it is and has been very consistent in its accuracy comparison. And yes, one of these 'cheapy's' is probably not the most accurate out there, but they will give you a close enough "consistent" torque setting for each of the wheels lug-nuts when checking torque - which is what you want = 'even consistent tongue' on each lug-nut. Low-cost and if lost or stolen = not much $$lost$$....... Have been told by others, when I have been seen pulling it out to use, that I am being just a bit :? about this subject, but what's been funny about this subject ? - is when on some of the teardrop trips with others over the years, they end up being the same one's barrowing ""MY"" torque wench to check theirs's!! :thinking: ................
gudmund
500 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:20 pm

swoody126 wrote:you're wecome

being an old retyred shop teacher who has towed trailers from izzard to gizzard and back SAFETY is always foremost on my mind

any time i can help someone/anyone avoid an/another incident i try

hopefully you'll be back on the road in good time and safely

sw

Good job explaining it all and thank you! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Squigie » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:58 am

swoody126 wrote:what was the manufacture date on that tire ?

i've had "new" tires(over 5 years of age bitt never on the ground) do similar things just riding on the spare rack

sw

It was less than 8 months old. I bought a pair.
When that one let go, I replaced both. Unfortunately, I was not in an area with much tire availability, and headed out for a 400+ mile trip and multiple days of camping; and refused to turn back. So, I have a mismatched set on the trailer now. One Carlysle, and a "better" Chinese brand. I need to get another Carlysle on it this year.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:50 am

Squigie, this is not meant to be argumentative butt...

¿ do you know how to read the age of a tire ?

it is now molded into each tire sold here in The States

on the sidewall there is a DOT number molded into the rubber and at the end of that number(usually in an oval stamping) there are 4 digits that tell the week and year the tire came out of the mold

the 1st 2 digits signify the week of the year and the last 2 signify the year

here are a couple pics explaining the stamping

dot_age_tire.jpg
dot_age_tire.jpg (71.44 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

31384217_10156272631584257_7175265691181651354_n.jpg
31384217_10156272631584257_7175265691181651354_n.jpg (194.18 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

i have found old stock being sold as "new" from time to time

not saying that's what you got

just offering information for future reference

BON CHANCE

sw
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Squigie » Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:32 pm

swoody126 wrote:Squigie, this is not meant to be argumentative butt...

¿ do you know how to read the age of a tire ?

Yes.
As I said in the text that you quoted, it was less than eight months old.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:01 pm

2-thumbs up.jpg
2-thumbs up.jpg (24.95 KiB) Viewed 1856 times

sadly so many think that just because they just bought something it is new

i didn't know YOU UNDERSTOOD

no offence intended

sw
swoody126
500 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 08, 2021 7:00 pm

I'm wondering if anybody here can potentially diagnose the cause!

Dot:

What was the final diagnosis??? Don't hold us in suspense. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby M C Toyer » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:15 pm

tony.latham wrote:I think what may have happened was that the lug nuts were loose for a long time which caused the holes in the rim to wear bigger and bigger which created metal fatigue on the lugs and they failed.

Tony

I bought a used tire and had it installed on the way home from a job site with my 16 foot tandem axle work trailer. 7 miles to home backing in the drive the wheel fell off. Lug nuts loose but still on. The kid had only hand tightened them then got distracted. Enough slack and bounce in that 7 miles to expand every hole larger than the lug nut. Had a conversation the next day but my fault for not checking the work.
M C Toyer
The 300 Club

Postby dotrosedotnet » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:09 pm

tony.latham wrote:
I'm wondering if anybody here can potentially diagnose the cause!

Dot:

What was the final diagnosis??? Don't hold us in suspense. :frightened:

Tony

I think the lug nuts weren't tight enough! I had it repaired in DC. and I got my coupler replaced and my wiring redone in Gainesville. My experience in Gainesville was AMAZING. Can highly recommend the folks at Texas Trailer in Gainesville. Not so much the cats in DC. They broke one of my walls when replacing the wheels.
dotrosedotnet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:25 pm

They broke one of my walls when replacing the wheels.

Ouch again!!! Repairable?

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby dotrosedotnet » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:41 pm

tony.latham wrote:
They broke one of my walls when replacing the wheels.

Ouch again!!! Repairable?

T

I got no other option! I'm holed up in the keys presently. Hoping to repair it while I'm here. I know that this is contentious (read: categorically inadvisable) but I left Philly with an unfinished camper. So I've been building it as I go. A very demanding and complicated endeavor.

Luckily my present situation is pretty amenable to the endeavor. I'm camping on someone's lawn and have all of my stuff under a tarp. Oy. Wish me luck!
dotrosedotnet
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:07 pm

Wish me luck!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets