Fenders

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Fenders

Postby Melle.17 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:59 pm

I’ve been reading up on fenders here, trying to decide what to do. My camper will be built around and over my tires (leaving plenty of clearance room). In California trailers are required to have fenders that cover the width of the tires. Is there any rule of thumb about how far down the tire they go? My entire wheel will be covered by cabin but I’m also assuming I’ll want to use the fender to protect that as well. I got some I like but they are a couple inches too big so I would need to cut them down some. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Melle.17
Teardrop Builder

Re: Fenders

Postby Graniterich » Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:55 pm

You don't need fenders, every rv trailer with the wheels tucked under don't.
Graniterich
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:13 pm

mudflaps maybe, if the chassis is too high
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby swoody126 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:07 am

Melle.17, "fenders" are simply covers over tires that protect the tire from the elements and protect the public from anything a tire might sling...

most folks only see the metal ones on the outside of trailers

companies building box trailers(incl RV's) cover their tires w/ metal or wood whichever is most economical/profitable

for your build if your box extends over the tires you could simply build the fenders as part of your box and undercoat the dickens out of it

or you could mount metal fenders to your frame and build the box over them to protect the underside of your box

some metal fenders cover as much as 50% of the surface of the tires

some metal fenders are no larger than skull caps over the top

if you goto a local boat ramp on a sunny weekend you'll see quite a variety of "fenders" your local state has approved for sale to the general public

BON CHANCE

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets