Build or Buy Chassis Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Build or Buy Chassis Frame

Postby Capebuild » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:15 am

When purchasing 2"x2" x 1/8th inch wall tubing for the chassis frame is there any specific grade or identifying / specification metal I should be using?

Thanks.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby Capebuild » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:05 pm

Any answer to the previous question? Thanks

Also...new question.... regarding the 60/40 rule for axle placement. Is that for measurement of the just the chassis.... or do you take the actual cabin dimension into consideration? For instance if my cabin body
sticks off the back of the chassis by 10 inches, say, does the 60/40 rule apply to where the cabin ends or where the chassis frame ends? Or maybe it's unwise to have the cabin stick off the chassis like that? Thoughts?

Thanks
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Postby pchast » Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:58 pm

There is a spread sheet to verify it. Actually it just depends on everything you do and how you load.
Check it out. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59449
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby working on it » Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:54 am

Capebuild wrote:Any answer to the previous question? Thanks

Also...new question.... regarding the 60/40 rule for axle placement. Is that for measurement of the just the chassis.... or do you take the actual cabin dimension into consideration? For instance if my cabin body
sticks off the back of the chassis by 10 inches, say, does the 60/40 rule apply to where the cabin ends or where the chassis frame ends? Or maybe it's unwise to have the cabin stick off the chassis like that? Thoughts?

Thanks

* The rule works for "relative" axle placement regarding the weight front to rear...the axle doesn't know where the frame ends, just the weight. If the cabin sticks out behind the frame (assuming a solid floor without flex), that's ok (see examples of rear cut-off ends on off-road trailers... where the rear slopes upward from the frame, for a good departure angle), as long as the weight stays mostly forward.

* I used the weight balance calculator
pchast wrote:There is a spread sheet to verify it. Actually it just depends on everything you do and how you load.
Check it out. viewtopic.php?f=35&t=59449
extensively, expanding it (adding lines of the formula as to weight and placement) to cover all weight additions I made to my trailer, which helped me keep track of the balance on my trailer, even before actually weighing it. I knew it was going to be too light on the tongue, before I could find the right tongue box to compensate for a bad axle-to-frame placement: 51 " forward/45" rearward (I extended the original frame too far in back, too little in front, with a lot of weight in the rear storage area).

* I used a Weight Distributing Hitch to compensate for the 40 lb tongue weight (vs 1438 lb total weight) on my first trips, before installing the tongue box, with a lot of weight moved into it. As I continued modifying the trailer, the weight balance moved forward, 'til it is now an apparently 68/32 ratio (1530 lbs/690 lbs), on the 144" total length nose-to-tail frame, with 12% tongue weight (266/2220). My tow vehicle doesn't care, as it can tow 12k lbs (1.8k tongue weight) if needed.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets