Plug or weld open skeleton tubes?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Plug or weld open skeleton tubes?

Postby Ted+Teresa » Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:30 pm

Hello! I bought Tony Latham's book, and am getting ready to weld together a 5 X 8 skeleton for our tiny trailer build.
I am going to use 2 X 2 X 1\8" metal for the frame. I am going to adjust the diagram for the shorter length.

I plan on using mitered corners for the 5 X 8 platform, creating a closed box.

I have two questions:

1) What is the best way to close the three holes at the rear of the 2 X 2, that attach to the tongue?

2) How do you figure the angle to cut the two pieces that join to the tongue? And what did you use to cut them with?

Ted
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Plug or weld open skeleton tubes?

Postby David H. » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:17 pm

I would simply weld caps on the ends of the tube ( and grind them clean) before attaching to frame. To lay out the angles in front, lay out on table or ground. Cut with a zip blade on grinder
David H.
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Wed Feb 10, 2021 7:44 pm

T&T:

I cut the A-frame tongue pieces (at the rear) at 90º and plugged with plastic.

For the front, I put them under the 90º piece, marked them, and then cut with an angle grinder using a cut-off wheel.

If the angle would help, I can probably pull up Sketchup and figure it out for you.

:thinking:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby halfdome, Danny » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:32 pm

One of these would be helpful right on the drawing. :D Danny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUgtW3KDds8
ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby Ted+Teresa » Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Thank you for your responses!

I have not tried cutting with a grinder, and will practice before implementing. Worst case, I will head to a local shop and use their equipment.

I also need to build it (or find one already finished) in Sketchup, to confirm the lengths.
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Postby tony.latham » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:30 pm

tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ted+Teresa » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:13 pm

Awesome. Thanks for that video!

I have been working with Sketchup Make:

I will figure out where the axle goes tomorrow...
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PCO6 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:33 pm

To each his own but I would highly recommend that you not remove the guard from your grinder.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby halfdome, Danny » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:16 pm

PCO6 wrote:To each his own but I would highly recommend that you not remove the guard from your grinder.
:thumbsup:
For a lot less $ than a trip to the doctor, you could buy a metal chop saw and a face shield.
I'm not a Harbor Freight fan but they have one for about $50.
My metal chop saw has a clamp for holding the metal which is a safer way to cut metal.
When I need an angle more than 45 degrees I'll make a wood block ( on a wood chop saw)with an angle to make the desired angle, like 30 deg to make a 60 deg angle against the metal chop saw fence at 90 degrees.
:D Danny

ImageImage
"Conditions are never just right. People who delay action until all factors are favorable do nothing". William Feather
Don't accept "It's Good Enough" build to the best of your abilities.
Teardroppers Of Oregon & WashingtonImage
halfdome, Danny
*Happy Camper

Postby working on it » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:57 am

PCO6 wrote:To each his own but I would highly recommend that you not remove the guard from your grinder.

* I once had a cut-off disc explode on me at work...it was the only disc available, the grinder guard had been removed and lost (by co-workers), and I needed to use it anyway in a hurry. Luckily, I was using a full-face shield (there were many in the shop), so I received no injury.

* At home, I always use eye protection, and my grinders (one dedicated as a cut-off device, the other as a "grinder" only) both retain their guards. Plus, whenever the cut-off disc shows any chipping or signs of falling apart, I change to a new disc. I prefer Diablo's...bought three at a time.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PCO6 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:44 am

working on it wrote:

* I once had a cut-off disc explode on me at work...it was the only disc available, the grinder guard had been removed and lost (by co-workers), and I needed to use it anyway in a hurry. Luckily, I was using a full-face shield (there were many in the shop), so I received no injury.

* At home, I always use eye protection, and my grinders (one dedicated as a cut-off device, the other as a "grinder" only) both retain their guards. Plus, whenever the cut-off disc shows any chipping or signs of falling apart, I change to a new disc. I prefer Diablo's...bought three at a time.

Good comment. Glad your experience wasn't worse. I'm with you. With a few exceptions I usually wear a Uvex Bionic face shield.

I saw the above YouTube video a few years ago before he decided to turn off the comments. I believe it came up on The Garage Journal Forum (might have been another one). Several pictures of disc accidents were provided and they were scary. One guy had a disc cut into his cheek where it stayed until he got to the hospital. The comments on the forum and the YouTube video were scathing. He was basically ripped a new one for his lack of safety. In the end he told everyone to take a hike and then turned the comments off.
PCO6
Teardrop Master

Postby swoody126 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:26 am

as for the angle ... this aint rocket surgery and the angle doesn't have to be specific

as in yout drawings lay out your pieces on top of one another and w/ a piece of thin posterboard under them simply trace your angle for transfer to the metal parts

this angle will be the same for all 4 cuts

just make sure the resulting lengths of the 2 diagonal braces are the same and that they come out in the same places on the sides of the tongue and body

no one butt you know where you wanted them and and a chigger whisker's difference between your drawing and the finished product will never be known nor will it matter structurally

if you are unsure of capping the aft ends of the diagonal braces cut an oversized piece of plate and extend the cap up the side of the frame a hair for added strength at that point

one thing i have done where the braces meet the fwd end of the tongue is to cut n weld a decorative gusset(arrow head shape) on top of that junction which can hide a lot of err...

it can even have a thru eyebolt coming up out of it "designed" for canoe lashing etc

horror fright frequently puts their house brand angle grinders on sale for $12± which could give you a dedicated cut off tool

the Diablo discs are worth the $$

and YES those guards are there for a reason

as mentioned above SAFETY EYEWEAR IS A MUST and you can't have too much of it

i wear a full face shield over my OSHA quality prescription lenses

the PPE in this case are way cheaper than just one trip to the eye ER(no need to ask how i know)

CARRY ON

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby BigDave_185 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:24 pm

working on it wrote:

Funny you say that. Had one explode on me Sunday and tear into my stomach, didn’t go through the short but I can for sure say it hurts a lot!

Not to mention the infection possible from the rusty metal I was cutting that is/was imbedded in my gut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby twisted lines » Wed Feb 17, 2021 5:46 pm

I like them capped.
The little cut off wheel's! Go right to the bone :shock:
Attachments
end cap.jpg
end cap.jpg (62.99 KiB) Viewed 1448 times
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ted+Teresa » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:51 pm

I agree with the safety conscious posts!! I will NOT be cutting without the guard, and will ALWAYS secure my work.
The video was great for me to see what to expect, having never used a grinder for cutting.
I am considering the $50 chop saw...
Also, there is a local shop where I can make cuts for $20, but scheduling might be difficult.

Thank you for your concerns!
Ted+Teresa
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets