HF Trailer Mod Questions

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF Trailer Mod Questions

Postby JJN » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:13 pm

Hi, I am new to the forum and want to first say the knowledge and skills on this site are impressive. I had no idea what is involved in making TD's until spending several hours, days, on this site. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I am modifying a recently purchased used 2013 HF 1200/1450 folding trailer. It will be for dump runs and hauling firewood locally a few times a year. Despite knowing that many use this trailer unmodified for hauling TD''s and misc items, personally I am uncomfortable with the oem tongue attachment arrangement. This trailer appears to be lightly used yet the front x member was bowed and one of the rear tongue attachment points is twisted. With that being said, Im in the process of adding a 2x2x1/8 tongue and extending it to ~54" from the first x member. And, retracting the oem A Frame tongue to 24" measured from the first x member. The 2x2 tongue will be removable by sliding it though the oem tongue coupler plate and removing hitch pins at the couple, and 1st and 2nd x members. The A Frame tongue will be fixed and no longer hinged.

I chose the A Frame measurements so that the trailer can still be folded with the fixed tongue and clear the garage 8 ft ceiling. This design is similar to the NT Folding Trailer.

Both the 1st and 2nd x members will be reinforced with 1 1/2" x 1/8" fat bar. Also, it would be nice to leave the 2x2 extend to the 3rd x member but it would then be 8ft total length making it heavier and longer and more difficult to r and r and store. The price of steel locally went up 30% just a few weeks ago and cutting it up, not utilizing it, seems like a waste of money and material. However, making the trailer more difficult to r and r is counter productive to easy storage. Would you leave it 8 ft?

It seems that the Composite Tongue measurements may not adhere to the Tongue Specs that are often used on this site. However, it certainly seems that it would be a lot stronger then both the HF and NT trailer oem designs.

I am curious about others thoughts on the strength of this mod. And, is it acceptable to use 3/8" hitch pins? One, possibly two, at the A Frame 2x2 coupler, and 1 at each of the x members. If 3/8 is not sufficient, are 1/2" hitch pin holes too large for a 2x2x1/8" tubing? All 3 hitch pin holes would be horizontal to the 2x2. I "think" that is better then vertical holes in a 2x2?

Lastly, the wheel bearings were serviced and HF was kind enough to send the recall LED light upgrade for free.
Attachments
37561_6_2000x2000.jpg
NT Trailer
37561_6_2000x2000.jpg (251.98 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
A3.jpg
Attachment points at 1st, 2nd x member and steel plate mount at side rail.
A3.jpg (196.95 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
A2.jpg
The first two inches of the A Frame will be removed and the coupler was shortened. This allowed for a 24" tongue, utilize existing holes in the A Frame, and the rear of the oem A Frame bend to be aligned with the side rails mounting plate. the A Frame will also have a couple x supports. One using the existing holes and location and a second towards the end of the A frame.
A2.jpg (198.25 KiB) Viewed 1137 times
JJN
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HF Trailer Mod Questions

Postby JJN » Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:17 pm

Could only attach 3 pics in first post. Attached are the Composite Tongue Weight Specs. And view of rear A Frame mounting to side rail plate.
Attachments
Tongue Specs.jpg
Tongue Specs.jpg (184.44 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
A1.jpg
A1.jpg (121.28 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
JJN
Teardrop Inspector

Re: HF Trailer Mod Questions

Postby JJN » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:21 am

Just to close this thread out, here is a short vid of the tongue mod.

JJN
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets