HF 4x8 trailer kit- for ony $254- build started

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: HF 4x8 trailer kit- for ony $254- build started

Postby Gold5one » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:26 pm

I too, think that lumber prices have retreated a bit.
I have a meat barometer- the price of a box of Bubba frozen hamburger patties- they are almost 2x what they cost when I retired in 2008.
Thank you all for your kind support on the last build I will ever do ( haha, we all lie) - Bob that ripper saw works better that my bench saw did for making 2x2 stud material. Who would have figured?
- and, Bob you have been an inspiration to all of us who see the value in doing it the economical way. The American pioneer spirit still lives on in us.
I finally found all the hardware I lost for this project- around 11am today, I was trying to retrace my steps back on April 6th as cleared out the garage - in a rush, getting ready to go up north to work an OT job in the NE, then it hit me, I could see myself raking all the stuff off the work table into an empty 5 gallon bucket. I'm back on track now. I got a call for this job at 4pm on the 5th and was on the road by 12 noon the following day for a 1500 mile trip in less than 30 hrs. Here I am on the last day I worked (5 weeks worth) - 6 days a week, 12 hrs a day. I left for home the next day after that pipeline got shut down. In 1971 I started my career as an electrician apprentice- yeah, I'm a dinosaur on the jobs now. When I tell guys, "Stop, don't do it that way", they listen to me.
"the slow road has the most adventure"
Mark

2022- Trek Freedom camper- journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=74522

Weekender-XL build journal
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=61445
sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:31 pm

Lumber prices have dropped a lot - A 2x4x8 has dropped from $8.00 to $5.23. I think I can start working again on my trekking camper.
I did get my long awaited Lectric E-bike on June 30th, a 90 day wait. Electric pedal assist #1= 6-7 mph, #2- 10-11mph, and #3 is 14-15mph. I have no need to use PAS 4 and 5 on flat ground. It takes no more effort to go 15mph, as it does 6 mph with an E-bike.
Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Postby Gold5one » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:08 pm

I am working again on my trek style camper- everything came to a halt on August 24th- , I jumped off an extension ladder to avoid a wayward tree limb I had cut- I came to, on the ground, on my knees and elbows- I got up and slowly walked into the house and showed my dear wife my left hand- fingers were dislocated sideways - “ I guess I stoved myself up, take me to the hospital”. It was more than that- broken neck, C2, C3, C7, a couple vertebrae in my chest area , 3 broken ribs, broken sternum, and a couple broken toes . I could hardly breathe - I was on 15L high flow oxygen, the next step was a ventilator . I had enough MRIs and Cat scans , X-rays to last the rest of my life. They told my wife they were trying to find a bed for me in a pulmonary/ rehab nursing home, after the 14 days was up that Medicare authorized. I was looking at a wheelchair and walker and maybe then I could walk again. A bleak future indeed-
On day three, I was trying to eat scrambled eggs with my fingers, exhausted from doing that, I turned on the TV a just past 9am. The channel I was on was just starting Catholic morning mass. I listened to the Priest start the Latin prayers - at that moment I started praying like a soldier in a foxhole before battle-
I didn’t deserve divine intervention, but it happened - I knew I was going to get well. I had a lot of pain the next week- I told the Dr , no more morphine , as I knew it depresses breathing - despite pain , I was breathing better , next I told them no more OxyContin- I survived that, I started pulling myself up with the hand rail- I could sit up, hobble to the bathroom with a walker and nurse holding my arm. On day 10 I told the doctor, I’m off of oxygen, no narcotic painkillers, I can dress myself , etc, etc- You have no medical reason to keep me here. So the next day , I was released. The floor nurse who did my discharge told me, she had never seen anyone with the severity of injuries that I had , get up and basically walk out of the hospital like I did - it never happens. They always go to a nursing home.
No more extension ladders for me. I heard a loud voice in my head yell, JUMP!!, and that’s what I did- it was so fast. The limb grazed the top of my head and drew blood just after I jumped. I told the doctors I was 10 ft up, but I think it was probably at least 12ft.
One month after the accident - lunch at Hooters.

Mark

sold-2018
Gold5one
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets