electric brakes vs surge breaks?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

electric brakes vs surge breaks?

Postby Betonhaus » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:34 pm

Admittedly this wouldn't be necessary for the Siesta project I'm planning but my car can tow up to 2,000lbs, but only if the trailer has brakes and I'm not really finding a lot of information on how to install an electric brake controller in the little cousin to the Mustang for some reason, and I worry about if I get a trailer can i loan it to others or if they have to install brake controllers in their little SUVs and such? My stepdad's boat trailer has surge brakes installed so it uses a normal 4-pin wiring connector to the car but the coupling is on a slider connected to a hydraulic piston so if the trailer starts pushing against the car it applies pressure to the hydraulic brakes automatically without needing gyroscopes or sensors etc. I'm wondering if people have installed them on their trailers, and how well have they found them to work? Thanks.
Betonhaus
Teardrop Builder

Re: electric brakes vs surge breaks?

Postby lfhoward » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:24 pm

My military trailer has them and they work well. The downside is they’re heavy, and you have to lock them out when reversing up a hill. But no brake controller needed and they are pretty simple to operate. No complaints here.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:31 am

Someone here shared the idea instal the electric brake controller in the trailer.
I have owned and repaired both, mine & for work. I would lean this way :thinking:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Betonhaus » Fri Apr 02, 2021 10:39 am

I'm a little surprised that they haven't invented electric surge brakes, but I guess keeping them charged would be an issue.
Betonhaus
Teardrop Builder

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets