Will this work?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Re: Will this work?

Postby QueticoBill » Sat May 29, 2021 11:39 am

Wonderful we each have the freedom to choose how we want to do it.

FWIW I had trailer built and modified in 2 or 3 days, and used it for utility hauling immediately. It would have been months if I scratch built it and heavens knows how long to get it registered in state I lived in. I probably would not have even started a scratch built, and could not afford to pay someone to do it (I lived in Chicago land.) And thankful for tnttt.com for the expertise, information, and examples which allow me to do it with confidence.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby western traveler » Sat May 29, 2021 1:06 pm

I just had a frame built by a fabricator. It took 9 hours at $60 per hour plus materials. It is exactly the configuration I wanted. The Dexter TorFlex axle was pricy and took nearly 7 weeks to arrive. I added electric brakes, 15” tires and wheels.
I used the plans that Tony.Latham so willingly shares. I figure the cost was well worth it when considering all the changes I was going to make to a NT bolt together trailer and I ended up with a solid platform. Yes, it is overbuilt but I tend to roll that way.
western traveler
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat May 29, 2021 1:39 pm

Your labor was more than my whole frame and labor would probably be double in a big city. Your situation is just very different from mine. I'll bet registration of a scratch built in Montana is also simple. I'm glad you like what you were able to afford and build. I'm also happy for those if us using NT and HF trailers and enjoying the results. Everybody wins.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby dmdc411 » Sun May 30, 2021 10:58 am

I purchased the northern tool no floor landscape trailer 9 yrs ago. The trailer would never have made it hauling a bicycle the way it comes!! I did as suggested in the forums by adding 2x3in diagonals for the coupler. The guy welded the diagonals to the front spring mounts, then lengthed the tongue 24inches with a step. I'll never use this frame for another build. The current dilemma is the sliders are half worn through already! I've added Teflon blocking to stop the wear. They haven't held up. One is now made from phenolic. Seems good so far. By the time I purchased the trailer, payed for the modifications, he said he could build me a much better frame for less $$ than I had into this one.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
dmdc411
Teardrop Master

Postby CirCal » Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:08 am

Thanks, for the thoughtful input.

It seems to be a choice of good enough, better, best.

I am leaning towards something I can put together, thus modify or fix.

However for now, I'll ponder what to put atop said trailer.

Thax
Michael
CirCal
Teardrop Inspector

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets