Mounting Axle to Frame

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Mounting Axle to Frame

Postby Capebuild » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:51 pm

Hello...
I picked up my Dexter Axle today. I'm asking for a bit of direction on how the axle gets installed.

There's a flange welded to the square tube of the axle. This flange is an angled piece of steel and was welded onto the axle body at the factory. Bolted to that (with 2 bolts) is a separate piece of angled steel.
I'm assuming the separate piece of angled steel is the part that gets welded to the chassis frame (one for each side on frame)..... and then the axle get bolted to these 2 welded on flanges. Or... I'm wondering if that
separate bracket gets bolted to the frame??

Before picking up the axle I was thinking the axle gets directly welded to the frame... but now that I see the actual axel with these separate side brackets, I'm thinking it's the 2 mounting brackets that get welded to the frame (or bolted)
with the axle getting bolted to the welded on side brackets.

Does this sound correct? any thoughts/clarification would be appreciated

Thanks very much for the help.
John
Attachments
axle.jpg
axle.jpg (136.48 KiB) Viewed 609 times
bolts n axle.jpg
bolts n axle.jpg (187.94 KiB) Viewed 609 times
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Re: Mounting Axle to Frame

Postby tony.latham » Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:21 pm

Bolted to that (with 2 bolts) is a separate piece of angled steel.

Square up the axle on the chassis and spot weld the brackets in place. Pull the axle and finish the weld. You want to weld no more than an inch and then let the it cool to nearly ambient temperature before more welding or you'll warp your frame.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Re: Mounting Axle to Frame

Postby Capebuild » Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:05 pm

Thanks for the reply Tony.
After I posted that I did go to your book as I remembered you had a page on installing the axle. I was not clear as to whether or not you had used the brackets or welded the axle body directly to the chassis frame.... my misunderstanding.

It seems one is given the option to either weld the brackets or bolt them to the chassis frame. I'm hesitant to start drilling holes through the chassis frame members for fear of weakening the chassis frame....so am asking how others had done it..... so thanks for the reply and clarification.

John
"Success can be defined as moving from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm".... Churchill

Visit my Teardrop build here: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73779
Capebuild
Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets