Grease wheel bearings?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Grease wheel bearings?

Postby dsotto » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:05 pm

Hi there! We did a build back in 2018 with the northern tool 4x8 trailer. The cap over the wheel bearings has been getting really hot, so we looked up a video and pried it off to grease it only to find it looks nothing like the video and my searches aren't coming up with anything.

Has anyone used this trailer and have advice for me on what to do? Thanks so much!

Edit: It's not letting me upload a photo due to low memory, so hopefully someone understands what I'm dealing with haha.

Danielle
dsotto
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Grease wheel bearings?

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:30 pm

Did you replace the initial grease that came in the bearings? Lots of warnings here that is first step before finishing assembly. The bearing should be cleaned, bearings an axel looked at for wear, repacked with a premium grease, and reassembled
with new seals. Not many dollars, all easy to find stuff.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:43 pm

I have to assume you are looking at a big nut that's held in place with a cotter pin?

Pull the nut, remove the hub and make sure the spindle isn't damaged. And then replace the rear seal, change the bearings after packing them with grease. You may be able to find the bearings and seal at a local automotive supply, if not, you'll have to go to Northern.

There are lots of videos about this on Youtube.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Socal Tom » Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:44 pm

There are several videos on youtube for how to pack trailer bearings. The key points are 1: You have to remove the hub ( or drum) from the axle, and you want to fill it with grease. Use lots. When you put it back on, don't over tighten. If its too tight, you over heat the bearings.
Tom
Socal Tom
Donating Member

Postby TimC » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:49 pm

dsotto wrote: ...Edit: It's not letting me upload a photo due to low memory, so hopefully someone understands what I'm dealing with haha.

Danielle

Hey Danielle, I see you have never posted a photo on tnttt (checked your profile and it says zero photos posted). They sure would help. Often photos taken with smart phones and good digital cameras are to large of a file to be accepted. Can you reduce the size and then try. Either crop the photo down to what we need to see or downsize it. You'll get a better response if we can see what you are looking at.

Tim
Tim
Niagara, WI
My First Benroy Teardrop Build Thread - A 5x8 Woodie - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=63575
My Second Teardrop (partial) Build Thread - Started August '16 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=66939
#3 My son's Benroy Foamie team build - Started July '20 - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=72877

TimC
Gold Donating Member

Postby Minics04 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:46 am

I have the Northern Tool Aluminum trailer.

There is a grease zirk on the back side(behind the wheel)on the hub. I would not use this! That zirk is very cheap and will break if you use it. Best procedure is to remove the hub, clean the bearings, and repack.
Minics04
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets