Need help upgrading from 1800lb axel to 2000lb

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Need help upgrading from 1800lb axel to 2000lb

Postby frankiekayak » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:03 pm

Hello All,

I have an old 70's based Coleman Popup trailer that is in the middle of conversion to a standy. I just ran into a snag as I was upgrading the electric brakes and hub/drum. Apparently, the spindle's measurement from the shoulder to the end of the threads is only 3". Which appears to be quite uncommon. With that, I have not been able to find a hub/drum that will fit this old unconventional length.

If I opt to buy a new axle with brake flanges in place, am I assured that the brake assembly and drum will fit? Meaning, is there a standard that is followed across all 2000# axles? I know I'll need to find the right axle as far as spring centers, hub face, and spindle diameters but it's the length of the spindle shoulder to the end of the spindle threads that is never conveyed. I assume that's just standard now. Right?

If I buy the axle and brake flanges separately, how much do you think it'll cost to get them welded on? Do I need to measure out the location of the brake flanges or will the welder typically know this as some form of standard as well?

Notes: The current axle at least has the standard 1.063" spindles on them. I have purchase a pair of 7"x1-1/4" electric brakes as well as a pair of hub/drums.

I'm hoping I can just pickup an axle and be done with this portion of the project. At least the springs still look healthy and solid without any corrosion or flaking.

I Look forward to your insights.
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Need help upgrading from 1800lb axel to 2000lb

Postby frankiekayak » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:09 pm

Nevermind. I upgraded to a 3500 lb axle, with respective brakes and drums. It's easier to just deal with the spring perches getting welded in the right centers and know that everything else will fit right. Down the line I may update the springs, wheels, and reinforce the chassis if need be but so far I am under 2000lbs.
Currently building a 13' camper from an old Coleman popup camper frame.
frankiekayak
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Need help upgrading from 1800lb axel to 2000lb

Postby saywhatthat » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:59 am

with the 3500 is a better bet more bearing surface
Il suffit de le faire
fast, cheap, fiberglass/ foam stressed skin panels
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=73945

Build 4.5 by 8' using Trailtop fiberglass Components
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=70729
saywhatthat
The 300 Club