Over or between wheels

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Over or between wheels

Postby GregB » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:57 pm

I've finally bought a HF 1800# trailer because the quotes for a custom 5x9 here were all north of $1,000, ouch! The Minibago is a 5x9 so I either build over the wheels or spend more money and buy a wider axle to build between them. Any help in thinking of pros and cons would be gratefully appreciated.

OVER - Must allow for suspension travel, putting the trailer higher. I estimate at least 4" up from the chassis frame. This reduces internal headroom, raises the door opening, raises COG, etc., but gives potential storage space under. May have to make trailer sides 4.5' tall so I don't bang my head getting in and out.
I can build a wider trailer, up to 6' without too much hassle (wifely and I LOVE the Cal King bed, but can live with a queen size).
Can use existing chassis frame and axle, etc.
Cabin cars look ok, but will the Minibago look goofy with inset wheels?

BETWEEN - Gotta buy another axle and modify chassis frame (find a welder, etc). Probably another $300+ investment.
Can get a flexiride axle allowing fine tuning of ride height since suspension travel is not an issue.
Trailer can't go wider than 5' without making wheel track VERY wide.

I've been pondering this since I bought the trailer and I know I'm missing other considerations. What am I forgetting?

Thanks,
GB
I'm not dead, yet. I'm feeling better.
GregB
500 Club

Postby SteveH » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:17 pm

I'd cut the axle and add (weld) a section in the middle. You'd have to do the same with the frame also. Of course, I weld so it's not that big of deal to me. Maybe you can find a welder locally that will do it for a reasonable price. It's really not that big of a job.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AmyH » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:18 pm

Greg, I am building mine over the wheels, simply because I made the decision to go wider after I had purchased my torsion axle and started building the chassis. I decided that I would just have a wee bit less leg/foot room where the wheel wells are, but I'll have a wider area forward and in the galley. I also don't want to lose height inside the sleeping area, so I am thinking of lap joining 4-6" wide (or so) 3/4" plywood to the existing plywood sheets, so they will end up around 52-54" wide and 10' long. I need to get more plywood to build the galley hatch ribs anyhow, so the extra sheet won't be a complete waste.

Good luck with your decision,
Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby angib » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:30 pm

Greg, A coupla thoughts:

- You seem to be assuming that the wheels-in design has to have its floor passing over the wheels, but I don't think that is a given. Look at George Teague's CompactGT in the Hall of Fame to see what the wheelboxes look like set inside a 5' body. George's floor is just 1/2" ply straight onto the HF frame - if you had any framing under the floor, the wheelboxes would be that much lower, relative to the floor. You have to cut the mattress around the wheelboxes, but if they're only 3" tall and the mattress is 4", you could still have at least 1" of foam on the full width. It's only your shins down there, so what does it matter?

- If you go for wheels-out, it looks to me like it would just work. I've drawn it out below:

(Illustration removed - see correction below)

I've made the width over the brackets 1/4" either side more than your HF frame - this puts the axle bolt holes in the centre of your frame member (which is only 1.5" wide, right? Right?). The 10.25" overhang is the absolute maximum for a Flexiride axle and needs a #9 if you went for a Dexter. The wheel/tyre shown is a 5.30-12 like you have now, but there's room to go up to a 175/80R13 if you want. There is a possible clash with the axle's trailing arm against the sidewall but, if the shaded bit of sidewall is cut out, it fixes that.

Andrew
Last edited by angib on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GregB » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:31 pm

So, Amy if you are adding to your wall height and building over the wheels, the top of your trailer will probably end up at 6'-6.5', at least, by my calculations. I'd be interested in seeing how you lay up your floor.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby GregB » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:31 pm

Andrew,

I had come to the same conclusion regarding the partial mattress over the wheel well. That would keep the rest of my floor down to a reasonable level and still provide some protection for my shins.

The torsion axle attachment is verrry interesting. The Reliable axle has a maximum of a 12" overhang. Are your computations for a 60" body here?

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby AmyH » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:57 pm

Greg, I am actually dropping the sidewalls to cover the frame, which is why I am adding a bit to the sidewalls. Since I decided to drop them to cover the frame, I decided I didn't want to lose that 2" of height (seems a little silly, but I think it will look better with a bit of height added back in).
They will be built around the tires and not above them. Similar to Mike's Baja Benroy, only not quite as tall. I still have yet to figure out if I can use the existing fenders that I already purchased (note to self....don't buy anything until you are truly ready for it!!), or if I will build some custom fenders laminated up with marine mahogany plywood. I am currently favoring the custom route, since it will go better with the woody sides that I am doing,

Amy
Amy
"...follow humbly whereever and to whatever abyss Nature leads, or else you shall learn nothing." T.H. Huxley

Photo Log
Camping Trips with the Tear
AmyH
*The 300 Club

Postby angib » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:30 pm

GregB wrote:Andrew, Are your computations for a 60" body here?

Greg, Yes, sorry, forgot to add that dimension.

Greg or Amy, On the question of dropping the sidewalls over the frame, if you're building the body wider than the frame, it doesn't seem necessary to 'hide' the frame - it will be hidden (except possibly at the front and back) for anyone not lying on the ground, looking up!

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby GregB » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:55 pm

Andrew,

After several design revisions, I've decide to splice on 3" of skirt under the sidewalls. I'm not worried about hiding the frame but I think that it will look better if the fender sides come down on the wheels some. It will look less like the whole thing is precariously balanced on the tiny wheels. Plus, the skirts will be protected from scraping by the chassis frame.

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby sunny16 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:37 pm

GregB,
Can the axel be modified, cut and stretched to be able to build the trailer bigger? I don't know what the axel looks like with the HF trailer.
I cut it three times and it's still too short!!
Perfection is all I ask.......
sunny16
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:47 pm

...if you want to strech the axles, look at the excellent that Jim Marshall did on his ......................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby GeorgeT » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:25 pm

My wheel wells during construction on my 5 foot wide camper on an HF trailer. My floor is 3/4 inch plywood. My axle is mounted under the leaf springs. The upward travel is limited to about 3 inches or so as the hanger bolts will hit the frame keeping it from going any further. So the wheel well didn't need to be so high.

You can see that the cover over the wheel well took up very little room. It is 6 inches high and is 6 inches wide by about 14 inches long. Later I built cabinets over them in between the two vertical wall braces.

Lookin' up in da skize with ize on da prize
http://home.earthlink.net/~g.teague/
GeorgeT
The 300 Club

Postby GregB » Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:27 pm

Thanks George, that is very helpful. I will build my trailer this weekend and check the wheel travel. 3" will mean that I can shorten the fender height. Luv dem pics!

GB
GregB
500 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:35 pm

I "Tucked" my wheels in also. I wanted to build 5' wide but didn't want my wheel wider than my tow vehicle. It worked great. I'm glad I did it. The only thing that I gave up with doing this is the usual "Teardrop Fenders".

Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gerdo » Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:41 pm

Mine is 5'W x11'L x 4'9"H. It is built over my wheels "tucked". I have 9" of storage under the whole sleeping area. This gives me the same 4' height from the top of the storage to the roof. I tucked my wheels so I could keep my overall width the same as my 4Runner. I also have a 5x10 utility tralier and the wheels stick out so that helped me want to tuck my wheels on my teardrop. I had my frame built and I had "wings" welded on for the wall support.
Gerdo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets