5' X 10' Red Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

5' X 10' Red Trailer

Postby captainsam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:25 pm

I am a newbie here so I hope I am not plowing old ground.

I have an idea for a mini-trailer but my Misses will never go for anything without a porta-potti/wet bath. A 4' X 8' is too small, a 5' X 8' is ok, but a 5' X 10' would be great. I can't weld and want a kit so I have looked at the HF (too small) and the Red Trailers (5' X 8') . I also saw a Red Trailer 5' X 10', non-folding, Landscape Trailer. It is at:

http://www.redtrailers.com/TrailersLandscapingLarge.asp

Problem is I don't want the ramp, side rails, or mesh floor. I e-mailed the Red Trailer folks today to ask:

I am interested in building a small camper and need a basic trailer chassis as a foundation for my project. I looked at your 5 X 8 utility trailer but is is just a little too small. I looked at your SJ-8519 5 X 10 landscaping trailer, but it has features I don't need. For example, I don't need the ramp and side walls. I need a basic chassis in 5 X 10 and with the 2000 GVWR. There are many teardrop and other mini-trailer builders that also would love to have such a chassis available. While they often use the 5 X 8 folding trailer, but even though the folding feature is unneeded. While most of these small trailers usually end up at about 1000# curb weight, the 1450 GVWR is possibly limiting. After all, a DIYer often underestimates weight while planning. Could I buy a SJ-8519 without the uneeded features and at a slightly reduced price? Would you comsider offering a alternative model to the SJ-8519 as a non foldable 5 X 10 flat bed utility trailer without decking and with the 2000 GVWR?

The reply I got from them (in about 30 minutes!):

Could I buy a SJ-8519 without the uneeded features and at a slightly reduced price?

I could sell you it for$ 565.00

Would you comsider offering a alternative model to the SJ-8519 as a non foldable 5 X 10 flat bed utility trailer without decking and with the 2000 GVWR?

No not at this time but, if I had people who wanted them that way I could build them. It would take me 90 days to get them in stock

Don't know if this interests anyone but it is another option. It would be nice to have a frame version in the 8' and 10' 2000# GVWR as a stock for tttt folks to order.

Sam
captainsam
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:31 pm

Hey Captain Sam,

Welcome to the forum...

My first thought is, build a cabin car... Rob48 just did a rendition that has a wet bathroom in it...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v284/1948 ... 20project/

Once you decide what you want to build the rest just falls into place... of course, we'll help with the questions... and answers...

Mike...

P.S. Did you ever hear of a Captain David Hale?
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Thanks for the Welcome

Postby captainsam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:40 pm

mikeschn wrote:Hey Captain Sam,

Welcome to the forum...

My first thought is, build a cabin car... Rob48 just did a rendition that has a wet bathroom in it...

http://photobucket.com/albums/v284/1948 ... 20project/

Once you decide what you want to build the rest just falls into place... of course, we'll help with the questions... and answers...

Mike...

P.S. Did you ever hear of a Captain David Hale?

Thanks for the welcome. This is a very nice forum...great resources. I will look at the Cabin Car. It is taking hours just to scratch the surface here. Great info!

I will undoubtedly take you up on the offer for answers... I'll need 'em.

Don't know of a David Hale... I am in Pittsburgh...is he?

Again Thanks.
captainsam
Teardrop Builder

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:42 pm

I don't know where David Hale flies out of... I just know that I graduated with him 31 years ago... He did air force for a while, and then went commercial...

Mike...

P.S. My favorite time in Pgh was in Brookline. I later spent some time in McKeesport, N. Versailes, and Dravosburg... But Brookline was the best....
Last edited by mikeschn on Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:46 pm

hey Cap'n, welcome to the board, 49Rob's Cabin Car and Cracker39's Squidget designs may just fit the bill for ya...before you get the horsie too far in front of the cart, I suggest doing a good bit more R&D work...then worry about what kinda trailer frame you are gonna put under it...Tractor Supply has a no floor trailer that is built by Cary-On trailer Corp and they will build it up toa 5x10(Ithink) for about 4-5 hundred bucks...anyway, think about it and don't forget that we luv da pics around here so be prepared to take a bunch of 'em because that is what we charge for all the advice you can stand(and then some)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby goldcoop » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:47 pm

Capt. Sam-

Welcome!

Check with a TSC (Tractor Supply Co) they handle Carry-On trailers.

Talk to the manager about getting a quote on a 5' x 10' UNPLANKED plain jane model.:thumbsup:

Made in the good 'ole USA and more importantly for you in PA is that they come with a TITLE! (Not a Certificate of Origin).:D

You'll want to "cheat" alittle and get it titled for just the frame. DO NOT even try to come clean and tell anyone you plan on building a TD/TTT on it!:roll:

That seems to set off bells, sirens, revolving red lights, etc. and cause PADOT to go into the defensive posture, scratching their heads, etc.:lol:

Keep it simple!

When you get it all done you'll want to discover the "social" side of TD'ing!

Here's a great club:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TearJerkers/

Hope to see ya out there!

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:54 pm

You want to buy the materials and give a hand cutting it up I could weld one up for you whatever size you wanted and I'd say it would be well under $500. Don't know where you are at in Pgh but it's probably not more than an hour from me. Just a thought.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

What an offer

Postby captainsam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:22 pm

Nitetimes wrote:You want to buy the materials and give a hand cutting it up I could weld one up for you whatever size you wanted and I'd say it would be well under $500. Don't know where you are at in Pgh but it's probably not more than an hour from me. Just a thought.

I'm in Wexford.... we're neighbors. That is a generous offer that I will keep in mind. I think the advice regarding getting a firmer design before looking for a chassis is probably right.
captainsam
Teardrop Builder

Postby captainsam » Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:29 pm

madjack wrote:hey Cap'n, welcome to the board, 49Rob's Cabin Car and Cracker39's Squidget designs may just fit the bill for ya...before you get the horsie too far in front of the cart, I suggest doing a good bit more R&D work...then worry about what kinda trailer frame you are gonna put under it...Tractor Supply has a no floor trailer that is built by Cary-On trailer Corp and they will build it up toa 5x10(Ithink) for about 4-5 hundred bucks...anyway, think about it and don't forget that we luv da pics around here so be prepared to take a bunch of 'em because that is what we charge for all the advice you can stand(and then some)
madjack 8)

All good points. I was trying to plan layouts but thought I might be limited by the available ready made or bolt-together chassis dimensions.

I have been thinking about designs for about six months now. I had a Class C motorhome I sold after my Airline filed Bankruptcy. They terminated our pension in the process so I am on the DIY pension plan. I miss camping in RV's so I see this as a inexpensive and fun project that will get me camping again.

I will look at Tractor Supply...there are several in the Pittsburgh region.

Thanks for the great suggestions.
captainsam
Teardrop Builder

Postby weasel » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:14 pm

Built a 5x10, got $300 in it. Shop and price. A home built would be stronger, you add whats needed.
weasel
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:55 pm

Cap'n, if you go to TSC, the trailer to ask about is the "no floor" version...you will probably have to contact Carry-On direstly with a request for a mod of the standard 4x8...the sales folks at TSC may look at ya funny but that trailer is available upto a 5x10
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby captainsam » Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:26 pm

goldcoop wrote:
Check with a TSC (Tractor Supply Co) they handle Carry-On trailers.

Talk to the manager about getting a quote on a 5' x 10' UNPLANKED plain jane model.:thumbsup:

Coop

Coop

I visited the TSC nearby today and saw tons of trailers there. The only "frame only" models were 4 X 8 1500 GVWR models with 12" wheels. Looked a little puny to me. The 14" wheeled 3000 GVWR looked too big. The 5 X8 2000 GVWR with 13" wheels looked JUST RIGHT.

They only had landscape versions with ramps. side rails, and wod or mesh decking.

I took your advice and asked the manager about a special stripped down 2000 pounder and he said it would be more expensive to special order. Said he would check on Monday. but that he'd checked before.

Another question. It looks like the axle is welded on so I guess you are stuck with it where it's welded at the factory? I was thinking I would build my trailer, measure the actual Center of Gravity, and then reposition the axle to get the perfect balance and tongue weight.

Thanks to anyone in advance for any responses.

Sam
captainsam
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Mar 11, 2006 11:46 pm

Capt.
I called Carry On @ 1-706-356-5379
The first person I talked was truly clueless. She transferred me to customer service and Carla ext. # 304 knew exactly what I wanted. Said to tell the dealer the trailer was the same as the no floor 4x8. She couldn't give me a price but the 4/8 is discounted because there is not floor or sides. Perhaps you can get the store to call Carla and give you a price. If you get a higher price I would find another dearler....

Hope this helps.
Miriam

Oh If you are into building your own check out the Superstrut thread Andrew is helping me with. It is getting interesting.
:miriams:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby larryl » Sun Mar 12, 2006 3:02 pm

I had also spoken with Carla. She would not quote me a price for a 5X8, but was very helpful when the TSC rep. phoned her. I paid $457.00 last year for a 5X8 no floor.

Larry
larryl
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets