Magenta 6 X 8 Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Magenta 6 X 8 Trailer

Postby captainsam » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:33 pm

Still looking at bolt together options and ran across this tilt-bed with a 76" X 100" bed (2000# GVWR). It has an all square tube frame. It seems to me that it's pretty wide but might allow the dinette/queen bed to be arranged sideways allowing a lot more living space in the layout for an 8 footer.

The trailer can be seen at:

http://www.sportutilitytrailers.com/Magneta/LTB1.htm

Any comments or is anyone familiar with these products?

The Mfg. website is at:

http://www.oldinc.com/trailerproducts.htm
captainsam
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:39 pm

Hi Capitain Sam
That is a good looking trailer. It seems a little expensive compared to Harbor Freight and TSC. However I haven't priced anything 6' wide. The HF 5'x8' is $399.00 and they have coupon sales. Sometimes as much as 20%.

The trailer you showed seems a bit stronger than what I have been looking at. If I were going 6' wide I might consider that a strong factor.

Happy hunting
Miriam
:miriams:
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby goldcoop » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:59 pm

Capt. Sam-

My C'tear is 5' h x 6' w x 10' l, my interior nets 72" and I am 69" tall and can tell ya 3" ain't much room for putting your hands over your head while tossing & turning in your sleep. :o

So at least think about that in your traverse thinking, a queen size bed is 80" long x 60" wide...

You will have to think your "packaging" pretty carefully to include the pot & wet bath, not impossible tho! :roll:

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby captainsam » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:31 pm

goldcoop wrote:Capt. Sam-

So at least think about that in your traverse thinking, a queen size bed is 80" long x 60" wide...

Good point...and I'm 6'1". I did think about that. Also, with a transverse bed, whoever is sleeping on the "inside" by the wall has to climb over the outer person to wee wee at night. I guess I could extend the trailer out over the wheels but then you have a 7' wide trailer...kinda like pulling a billboard. Seems a bit "un-teardrop".

No it seems to me that a trailer just wide enough for a 60 wide queen is the sweet spot. Either a 5 wide over the wheels or a sixer on the bed.

goldcoop wrote:You will have to think your "packaging" pretty carefully to include the pot & wet bath, not impossible tho! :roll:

Cheers,

Coop

I think this can be done on a 5 X 10 chassis with a little figuring. Allowing 75-80 inches for the bed, that doesn't leave but 40-45 inches for the rest. I wonder what the minimum bath area that would work. I was thinking 25 X 32 inches. Anyone have real life experience showering in a tiny bathroom?

Thanks for your input... I value real world experience
captainsam
Teardrop Builder

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:57 pm

Sam,
Rob's cabin car has a sit down tub. It is bigger than most but do-able.

We did a mock up of a 5x5x10 Benroy and a porta potty fits with a regular size bed. Could put a shower in with some arranging.

And Yes small showers are tricky, however if you take a trip to the RV dealer you will find lots of fun ways to manipulate the wet area.

Hope it helps.

Miriam
:miriams:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby mikeschn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 10:01 pm

More food for thought...

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Micro469 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:20 pm

Captain Sam, I had my trailer built for me by a trailer manufacturer. It was a lot cheaper than that one. Find a little company and tell him what you want, then negotiate price. I found out my guy was slow during Feb, so He might have done it cheaper just to keep the guys working.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:35 pm

:o That Mike is a trouble maker, with his feeding people's thought.
I need to correct the HF trailer. It is only 4x8. Seems the girl at the store was distracted when I called. I was on my way to get me one and thought to call first.

Mike's idea looks good for tall people.

Miriam :oops:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Tiki Dude » Thu Mar 09, 2006 4:25 pm

I used a trailer similar to the tilt bed version and built the Tiki Hut on it with a 5" overhang on the wheels. It doesn't look that bad. I had a triangle welded on the tongue for the battery compartment. plus it stiffens up the tongue.

My design also incorporates an enclosed head area. Anything is possible.

Tiki Dude

Tiki Dude
Teardrop Master

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets