Trailer options for folding Vardo camper

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer options for folding Vardo camper

Postby Paintsalot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:06 pm

Hi Everyone -
I’m getting closer to starting a build. I posted on tnttt before.

Im looking for feedback on trailer options. Steel, aluminum or galvalume are the options. I know aluminum is harder to weld, but I have a 1000 pound tow limit.

Here are three I’m considering:

1. Northern Tool steel 5x8, $549 + $286 ship plus tax. 12” wheels, 284 lbs.
2. Northern Tool aluminum 5x8, $899 + $158 ship plus tax. 12” wheels, 186 lbs.
3. Tractor Supply galvalume 5x8, $899 plus $234 ship plus tax. 12” wheels, 250 lbs.
(Also available in 4x8 for $749)

The Tractor Supply galvalume is made in Canada which I like, and they answered the phone- and I believe tires are rated for 70 mph, not 45. It should be rust free and combines advantages of steel and aluminum. Here it is: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produ ... _vc=-10005

I’m building a camper to sleep in when I travel to make landscape paintings. Sometimes I go down bumpy dirt roads in Arkansas. My Subaru Forester is all wheel drive. I’m interested in sustainable construction- I will try to build with natural materials where it’s practical. I may use sheep wool insulation, cedar framing, etc.

Here is the basic design in earlier post: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=74295

Thanks for input on trailer….
Matthew
Last edited by Paintsalot on Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Trailer options for folding Vardo camper

Postby Paintsalot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 2:13 pm

Design before folding:
After folding
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby QueticoBill » Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:46 pm

Decide whether you can keep weight under Forester limit where you need trailer brakes. That's a 1000 pounds on my Outback. Downside of CVTs I think. I see the Vardo design as heavier than some designs, maybe I'm wrong. If you can't be under that limit, just know you'd have to replace axel on either NT to add brakes. I don't know about Tractor Supply.

I'd look at Sam Club as well. The guy who does excavation for me has one - very nice.

And last, I like the Vardo design, and the collapsible is a great idea. But I feel a Vardo wants to be a bit longer than 8', like 10 or 12. (Of course you can do that on an 8' frame.)

I look forward to your progress!
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:20 pm

The Tractor Supply galvalume...

Can you move the axle back? It's smack in the middle and quite likely will be unstable. :frightened:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Paintsalot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:59 pm

Can you move the axle back? It's smack in the middle and quite likely will be unstable. :frightened:

Thanks Tony. Good question. No, apparently the axle cannot be moved. Someone asked on the Q&A section of Tractor supply site.
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:35 pm

No, apparently the axle cannot be moved.

This is the issue:

Single axle trailers should be at about the 40/60% point on the frame.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Paintsalot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:40 pm

QueticoBill wrote:Decide whether you can keep weight under Forester limit where you need trailer brakes. That's a 1000 pounds on my Outback. Downside of CVTs I think. I see the Vardo design as heavier than some designs, maybe I'm wrong. If you can't be under that limit, just know you'd have to replace axel on either NT to add brakes. I don't know about Tractor Supply.

I'd look at Sam Club as well. The guy who does excavation for me has one - very nice.

And last, I like the Vardo design, and the collapsible is a great idea. But I feel a Vardo wants to be a bit longer than 8', like 10 or 12. (Of course you can do that on an 8' frame.)

I look forward to your progress!

Thanks! Yes weight definitely a factor. I have same 1000 lb limit as you without brakes.
One advantage of collapsible design is the sides that fold up won’t have exposure to weather during travel.
The main reason though is so I can see cars and trucks coming behind me. And less wind drag.

I could do more of a tent design for sides, fabric over a rigid frame. I’m an artist, I can stretch canvas!
Marine fabric is available. Or sides could be 1/8 Baltic. Roof could be 1/8 Baltic or sheet metal. Corrugated metal possibly for roof.
Wool insulation is not heavy, but might be more than foam. I’ll probably use cedar 1x2 or 2x2’s for framing.

I’m headed toward slightly uncharted territory…

I wonder if axle can be moved on the NT aluminum trailer?
Sams doesn’t carry trailers down here in Memphis…
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Paintsalot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:53 pm

Single axle trailers should be at about the 40/60% point on the frame.

Tony

Ok. Good to know.
What about the aluminum trailer? I know aluminum is more brittle. And if it breaks in the middle of Arkansas, I’m probably out of luck. I’m not sure if the axle can be moved on the aluminum one-the photographs I’ve seen so far don’t appear to have multiple holes for adjustment.
The only attraction to the aluminum is it’s 100 lbs lighter.
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Paintsalot » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:01 pm

Vardo design as heavier than some designs,

I mentioned tent sides to keep weight down, but that means zero sound-proofing… campgrounds can be loud- I usually try to camp in more isolated spots.
If weight looks like it’s going to be too high,could still do a teardrop or shorter Vardo that doesn’t collapse. I have an old garage I can work in, 7ft tall carriage doors.
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Sun Jan 22, 2023 11:38 pm

What about the aluminum trailer?

I assume with all the bolt-together trailers, you can move the axle. But I don't know.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:49 am

It was easy to move axel on the NT steel trailer. I'd guess like Tony says also easy on aluminum. Would help for weight limit.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:32 am

I looked up the Tractor Supply trailer. Although there is a question about moving axel answered by what is appears to be the manufacturer, I think this is just saying moving axel is not built into kit. It appears to be a bolt together like the NT. Download the manual and you may be able to do what I did on my NT: mount front leaf spring bracket in holes for rear and drill new holes for rear. Worked easy.

For the 12" wheels and 87 mph, seems worth it over either NT. Don't know if you can add brakes to axel but would guess no.
QB
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:02 pm

Just put your main door on the side, in front of the axle, and put your heavier equipment in front, instead of in back. You'll still want to do some weight calculations to be certain that you're at a 60\40 front\back ratio but it would work so you could leave the axle alone. You could also put the door on the front, with a platform on the tongue and still with your heavy equipment/galley up front on either side of the door pathway...another idea to toss around.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Paintsalot » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:33 pm

QueticoBill wrote:I looked up the Tractor Supply trailer. Although there is a question about moving axel answered by what is appears to be the manufacturer, I think this is just saying moving axel is not built into kit. It appears to be a bolt together like the NT. Download the manual and you may be able to do what I did on my NT: mount front leaf spring bracket in holes for rear and drill new holes for rear. Worked easy.

For the 12" wheels and 87 mph, seems worth it over either NT. Don't know if you can add brakes to axel but would guess no.

Thanks for looking this stuff up QB
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Paintsalot » Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:44 pm

S. Heisley wrote:Just put your main door on the side, in front of the axle, and put your heavier equipment in front, instead of in back. You'll still want to do some weight calculations to be certain that you're at a 60\40 front\back ratio but it would work so you could leave the axle alone. You could also put the door on the front, with a platform on the tongue and still with your heavy equipment/galley up front on either side of the door pathway...another idea to toss around.

Hi Sharon,
Thanks for chiming in :-). I'm a bit of a perfectionist.... at some point need to pull trigger on something! The 60/40 thing has me a bit nervous, lol. One of my friends says get a roof tent instead... but that's no fun! No trailer to deal with. But then you have to go up a ladder ten times a day... and no character!
I'm thinking of putting the kitchen part under the benches. I'm imagining benches that fold out into a bed. So I could locate the kitchen gear toward front. The kitchen would be accessed from outside. If I get an a/c unit, it could go toward front. Or maybe just drill new holes and move axle, unless its welded in place. If I don't do the fold down version, I kind of like this style mini- vardo here: [youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9j4zcRS4OqQ[/youtube]. Not aerodynamic but looks spacious. I would move doors, etc. Looks like an easy build.
I'm still debating about using my boat trailer or not, like I was a year ago... I need to take some kind of concrete action eventually or just go back to camping on the ground...
Cheers,
Matthew
Paintsalot
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets