Harbor Freight 1720lb trailer (not foldable) frame designs

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Harbor Freight 1720lb trailer (not foldable) frame designs

Postby cuyeda » Tue Jun 20, 2023 6:14 pm

It's been a while since I have been here. I am looking for any new or old suggestions to increase stability of a Harbor Freight 1720lb trailer frame. I have had for many years to do a practice build but still have it. I put it together to make sure I have all the nuts and bolts for it. While starting with a fresh frame build would be the best solution, I already own the HF. This will be a basic build while I do have other camping trailers.

I have read others using the middle crossmembers on the side rails and substituting crossmembers with added rails. Can you point out any previous threads, or provide tips for the frame build. Also any floor plan techiques or designs to build over or extend the frame with a 5x8 or 5x10 base.

Thank you
Why just dance, when you can Salsa!
Cliff & Vanessa
cuyeda
Platinum Donating Member

Re: Harbor Freight 1720lb trailer (not foldable) frame desig

Postby Pmullen503 » Tue Jun 20, 2023 7:21 pm

I think you just slip a cross member, or half of one inside the side rails and weld or bolt in place.

The floor and the cabin add stiffness to the frame, not the other way around. If you are looking to build light, think unibody not body on frame.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets