Carry-on 5.5x10 trailer - do I do it?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Carry-on 5.5x10 trailer - do I do it?

Postby italianub » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:11 am

Hey everyone, a new guy here!

I MIGHT have a steal on some new steel to build my own trailer with a buddy, but in case that falls through, I am looking at buying this trailer from Tractor Supply to start my build:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-55-x-10-ft-square-carry-on-trailer-55x10gwhdp

The plan for just the trailer itself:
1. remove all the side bars, ramp, wheel wells, and wiring/lights
2. use the leftover steel to reinforce the trailer underneath and fix their shitty welding (I am making an assumption here based on what I've read about their trailers), I am not a welder but my neighbor can help with that
3. install a wheeled jack to replace that top-wind jack
4. remove the axle and tires, install axle-less independent suspension and match the tires to my truck's tires (i have a nissan frontier with stock tires, so nothing too crazy) - I read some threads on here already about axle placement, I still need to do some more research

Some questions I have:
1. Should I remove the wood? Or should I put some good waterproof coating on it and use that as my floor? There is a little space in between so I figured I should rip it out and start fresh, since I'll want the flooring to go all the way to the edges of the trailer anyway
2. Is this a terrible idea in general?
3. Has anyone had one of these trailers and want to tell me why I should or shouldn't move forward?
4. Should I leave on the stake pockets? I figure since they are there and welded on already, might be useful to hang stuff or put leveling jacks on, at least for the rear

Thanks so much for reading, so glad I found this forum! Such a wealth of knowledge here.
Build began Feb 10th, 2024
Build journal: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=76227
Video build journal: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0ZP7TwtcT3
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Carry-on 5.5x10 trailer - do I do it?

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:55 am

italianub wrote:Hey everyone, a new guy here!

I MIGHT have a steal on some new steel to build my own trailer with a buddy, but in case that falls through, I am looking at buying this trailer from Tractor Supply to start my build:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/tractor-supply-55-x-10-ft-square-carry-on-trailer-55x10gwhdp

I think you would better off checking with trailer builders in your area and getting a quote. The amount of mods you plan to make to that TS trailer makes me think you could probably get something custom made to exactly what you want for about as much as you'd spend buying the trailer and modifying it yourself.

You want about 10% of the trailer weight on the hitch. That usually means the axle is about 60% back from the front of the trailer (not counting the tongue). So with a 10 ft trailer, 6 feet from the front.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby twisted lines » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:08 am

Cheap or free sound’s better,
5 Months, I guess that’s Motivation :lol:
Racking up; And Rapin foam
twisted lines
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:30 am

I think you'll spend more time modifying that trailer than welding one up yourself (and you'll have a better chassis).

But if you do... get rid of the board floor. If you leave them, they will expand and contract no matter how you seal them.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby italianub » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:58 am

tony.latham wrote:I think you'll spend more time modifying that trailer than welding one up yourself (and you'll have a better chassis).

Yeah I'd love to do it myself but it'll depend on if the welder is up to the task, haha.

Also, bought your book last night. Only 50 or so pages in but I loved your galley so much that it sold me on the book! Great info so far :)
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 13, 2023 12:01 pm

Only 50 or so pages in but I loved your galley ...

I spent a lot of time thinking about the galley all while staring at our old kitchen. There's nothing I would do differently and Steph, my wife, agrees. She's the one that's the cook.

One thing about that Tractor Supply trailer is its width 5.5'. That will preclude using 5' x 5' sheets of Baltic birch and for me, that's a big nope.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby italianub » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:36 pm

tony.latham wrote:I spent a lot of time thinking about the galley all while staring at our old kitchen. There's nothing I would do differently and Steph, my wife, agrees. She's the one that's the cook.

Yeah, honestly that is crucial for any trip, the GALLEY! While I have you here, this is what I just mocked up, let me know what you think :) The one big change I am thinking is to corner the top rear of the trailer, I am scared of curves even though you mention how easy it is in your book, haha

I couldn't find a ruler... this is my first draft - the next will have straight lines! lol

(larger picture here: https://i.imgur.com/jTiio9c.jpg )
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:52 pm

Curves are easier to build than dealing with angles, and I'm not the only one that thinks this. Curves also make for a much stronger structure.

To get those flat-backed galley hatches to stay flat may be a bigger challenge than building a hatch using my method. And they (literally) suck by adding more drag.

I think your headboard is a little short.

And one last thing, my wife and I really like having open shelves.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby ravenanchored » Wed Dec 13, 2023 8:04 am

Your trailer project sounds ambitious and exciting. Regarding your questions:

Removing the wood and starting fresh might be a good idea for a more customized floor. It gives you the freedom to extend the flooring to the edges as you mentioned.

It's not a terrible idea at all! Many DIY trailer projects turn out great with careful planning and execution. Just make sure to address welding concerns properly.

While I haven't had personal experience with that specific trailer, reviewing user feedback on forums or product reviews might provide valuable insights.

Leaving on the stake pockets could indeed be useful for various purposes, as you mentioned. It adds versatility to the trailer.

Best of luck with your project, and feel free to ask for more advice as you go along. Happy building!
Explore the latest innovations in agricultural technology with our comprehensive guide to modern Tractor designs and functionalities.
ravenanchored
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tom&Shelly » Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:02 am

ravenanchored wrote:Your trailer project sounds ambitious and exciting. ...

Best of luck with your project, and feel free to ask for more advice as you go along. Happy building!

Why thank you for offering advice on your very first post! And your experience and qualifications are? :thinking:

Tom
172912 170466 173366
Tom&Shelly
Palladium Donating Member

Postby italianub » Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:39 am

Decided to build my own from the ground up! Getting spare steel to practice welding the first week of Jan
italianub
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tony.latham » Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:27 pm

italianub wrote:Decided to build my own from the ground up! Getting spare steel to practice welding the first week of Jan
Excellent. There are some great YouTube welding videos.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets