Torsion axle life span?

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Torsion axle life span?

Postby Ottsville » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:10 am

I was given a 2003 Aliner and am trying to decide whether to keep it or barter it for some other things I'm looking for. It has a torsion axle, and thought it looks okay and tows ok, I'm sceptical of a 20 years old torsion axle. I dont know the hisoltory of it, but the rest of the camper is in good shape. Should I be concerned about the axle and if so, what are some ways to check it?
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Re: Torsion axle life span?

Postby tony.latham » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:25 am

I've got a Dexter Torflex under a trailer that must be over 25 years old. It's fine.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Pmullen503 » Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:32 am

Ottsville wrote:I was given a 2003 Aliner and am trying to decide whether to keep it or barter it for some other things I'm looking for. It has a torsion axle, and thought it looks okay and tows ok, I'm sceptical of a 20 years old torsion axle. I dont know the hisoltory of it, but the rest of the camper is in good shape. Should I be concerned about the axle and if so, what are some ways to check it?

Obviously, you should pull the wheels and take a good look at the bearings and brakes (if it has them). Bearings are cheap and replacing the (maybe) 20 year old grease isn't a bad idea either.

But if tows well and sits level, I wouldn't change the axle.
Pmullen503
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ottsville » Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:19 pm

Thanks Tony and Pmullen. Now I just need to decide if the other work it needs justifies keeping it.
Ottsville
The 300 Club

Postby Squigie » Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:49 pm

Most torsion axles seem to last quite some time, when used responsibly.

Running them near or over max rating seems to kill them quickly, however.

I have a popup tent trailer that is due for its 4th or 5th Torflex axle. (1,850 GVWR and 2k lb axle.) I have gotten longer life (10 years) out of the current axle than any previous axle, and longer life than one of the previous owners got out of two axles, but it is still failing.
It isn't the axle's fault. It is the stupidly low payload capacity. Put even a light load of bedding, clothing, and miscellaneous camping supplies inside, and it is over GVWR. Load it up like most people do, plus propane and battery on the tongue, and it is well over the axle rating, without even trying.

That stupid trailer doesn't even have enough payload capacity to fill its freshwater tank without any other cargo. Add water, bedding, cooking equipment, dishes, utensils, propane, battery, spare tire, tire change tools, cleaning and trash management supplies, camp chairs, a cooler, and the usual gear that the average family wants to stuff in there, and it is catastrophically over the axle rating -- which seems to be how all previous owners used it.

So, even though I have tried to keep weight as low as possible, the damage done before I bought the trailer is getting worse as the torsion bushings age.

I need to sell this one while it is still marketable. Our family has different needs now, and I have never liked the layout, anyway.
Squigie
The 300 Club

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets