Trailer Wiring Question

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby owenmpk » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:49 pm

I am new to this group but can weigh in on trailer wiring. I have had sailboat trailers for ~30 years and always was disgusted on how poorly the wiring was run / protected. I have come up with 2 solutions.
1. Run wires inside drip irrigation tubing to protect from sun and bumps
2. Purchase orange 110 V 16-12 ga construction extension cord. I have found this solution very good for the connection from car to trailer.
owenmpk
Donating Member

Postby Mitheral » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:37 pm

owenmpk wrote:2. Purchase orange 110 V 16-12 ga construction extension cord. I have found this solution very good for the connection from car to trailer.

All my trailer and truck deck wiring is done with outdoor extension cords. It's often cheaper than buying the wire individually and the wire is better protected by the double jacket.
Mitheral
Teardrop Master

Postby mikeschn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:44 pm

owenmpk wrote:I am new to this group but can weigh in on trailer wiring. I have had sailboat trailers for ~30 years and always was disgusted on how poorly the wiring was run / protected. I have come up with 2 solutions.
1. Run wires inside drip irrigation tubing to protect from sun and bumps
2. Purchase orange 110 V 16-12 ga construction extension cord. I have found this solution very good for the connection from car to trailer.

Owen,

Welcome to the forum...

Yes, that's a good idea... I always rag on Chell for using colors that are non standard... but I suppose that could be overcome with a good schematic that becomes part of the teardrop.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:57 pm

Hey Guys !!! While we're wiring up the trailer outside , does anybody know how many lights you really need on the outside , side markers , clearance lights , etc... will reflectors work ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri Apr 07, 2006 11:56 pm

Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:33 am

AT , Thanks !!! Sure want to be Legal !!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:17 am

Sorry , another question ..... How do they measure trailer width(That 80 " thing ) , the width of the bed or overall width , tires fenders et all ...????
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Arne » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:22 am

Until I got a crop of trailers, when I had only one, I always used an extension cord for wiring my trailer. I was very sturdy, had an outside sheath and worked well..... 3 wires with an iffy ground through the trailer ball.... I could hear static in the radio when I hit bumps the ground came and went and the lights flickered..... I even used the 3 prong plug....

Unfortunately with multiple trailers and 6-to-4 converters, I'm gone straight and now have the same crappy wiring as most others....... but, even the junk they sell is not that bad if used correctly (my way/g/).....

First and foremost, I secure it every foot or so (the state law here says it must be secured every 18"). Where it passes through holes in the frame, I goop some silicon on so it won't chaf.... I could run it through tubing, but don't know if that buys me a lot, as where the tube is, the wire is out of the sun anyway... Actually, considering the wiring is outside, it works pretty well.... if I get more anal than I am, I'll put amorall or something on the exposed-to-the-sun portion, something with uv protection... that will fix them buggers.... I'd still like a better plug, but I keep it clean and it works most of the time.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby madjack » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:41 am

GPW wrote:Sorry , another question ..... How do they measure trailer width(That 80 " thing ) , the width of the bed or overall width , tires fenders et all ...????

(techno speak...beware) ...from the further most sticking out thingie on the right side to the further most sticking out thingie on the left side(this includes all thingies, such as bolt heads, wires, latches and lights etc)
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Nitetimes » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:43 am

GPW wrote:Sorry , another question ..... How do they measure trailer width(That 80 " thing ) , the width of the bed or overall width , tires fenders et all ...????

Width is measured to the widest part of the trailer be it fenders or something else like stake pockets. The sidewalls of your tires can be wider than the fenders and it doesn't count but the tread area has to be covered (in most states)
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby Melvin » Mon Apr 10, 2006 9:35 am

arnereil wrote:Until I got a crop of trailers, when I had only one, I always used an extension cord for wiring my trailer. I was very sturdy, had an outside sheath and worked well..... 3 wires with an iffy ground through the trailer ball....

You just need two extension cords with different coloured jackets. This gets you 6 wires, 4 for lights and the other two for accesories like backup lights and data transmission.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:23 am

ARGH !!!! That puts me well over the 80" thingie ... Mines slightly over 8 feet wide by about 1/2 inch .... RUH ROH !!! Now I need even more lighting /reflectors ... gonna' look like a Float !!!!
Extension cord is a great idea for the weatherproof wiring ...cool !!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bg » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:15 pm

If you give South West Wheel a call, they sell 4, 6 and 7 conductor trailer cable enclosed just like an extension cord. No idea on pricing or minimums, But I saw it in there warehouse back in August.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets