New front end goes on the Kasperwing Tiny Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Arne » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:46 am

Man, you guys are building tanks. My trailer weighs 1,200 pounds. The tongue extends 48". The tongue weight is 100#.... the tongue is 2x2x5/32" The only reason I would put any diagonals on is to mount a tongue box, and they would be 1.5x1.5 angle. There are two braces (see pic) on each of the two attachment points. I have over 15k miles on it with no problem.

The loads are the tongue are primarily vertical, not horizontal. I'm thinking about making my next tongue out of laid up pieces of 1/2" overlapped plywood.... Yes, the trailer bounces.. up and down. side loads are minimal. Even bouncing up and down, the suspension and wheels take most of the load.

The box taped onto the tongue is the wireless sending unit for an inside/outside thermometer.... don't leave home without it.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby skacutter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:49 am

Rich: I definitely appreciate all of your comments...none of them are offensive in any way. Honestly I know nothing about steel work and that is why I post these questions on this site. I think every response I have ever received from this website was valid information that helped my project a great deal and that’s what this is all about "sharing information" so thank you. I think I will take another tip back to the metal supply warehouse. I get intimidated because I don’t know what I am talking about when I buy steel. One place "Fletcher supply" said...ya know I really could not tell you what gauge steel to buy but I can let you back in the warehouse to checkout the gauges we stock. I did that and the 11 gauge was the thickest wall they had in 2x2. I did not consider 2x3 at that time.

Chris :thumbsup:
please visit the Kasperwing site and click on the teardrop trailer link
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets