New front end goes on the Kasperwing Tiny Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

New front end goes on the Kasperwing Tiny Trailer

Postby skacutter » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:36 pm

Hello: The next 2 weeks I will be welding a new front end on my Tiny Travel Trailer design. As always I would love to hear some feedback from this group regarding the project. I purchased 24ft of 11 gauge 2x2 steel sqare tube to build the new front end/hitchmount. One 5ft section of 2x2 will be welded to the 2 main rails of the trailer frame then the drawbar is welded to the 5ft section. 2 support angle irons will be welded in place as cross bracing. Has anyone built a frame using 11 gauge 2x2 steel? Is this strong enough?

Trailer Build website= www.kasperwing.com/teardrop.htm

Regards
Chris 8)
please visit the Kasperwing site and click on the teardrop trailer link
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Postby madjack » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:41 pm

Chris, 11 ga is 1/8 approx. and is what we used for our frame. By itself, I would consider it to be too light for the tongue unless well braced...could you draw us a pic of what you are wanting to dowith the tongue?...we used 2x3/16 in an "A" configuration for our tounge
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby asianflava » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:00 pm

madjack wrote:Chris, 11 ga is 1/8 approx. and is what we used for our frame. By itself, I would consider it to be too light for the tongue unless well braced...could you draw us a pic of what you are wanting to dowith the tongue?...we used 2x3/16 in an "A" configuration for our tounge
madjack 8)

Don't say that, because that's what I used. :cry: in a single tube tongue at that! :oops:

Well that is the type of setup that Dave broke on his offroad rig. I figured it would be OK for a road use only trailer. If i decide to put a tongue box on it, I'll put a strap on the bottom, like Dean has.

Ska: you sould check out this page
http://www.angib.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/t ... tear84.htm

You can see that 2X3X1/8 tubing is 180% stronger but only weighs 28% more. That is a minimal weight gain when you consider that it is only the tongue tube. It would probably only add 6 or 7 pounds to your total weight.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Glad I asked

Postby skacutter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:36 pm

Here is the layout of the new front end built from 11 gauge 2x2 steel tube. What do you think as far as strenth of this design?

ok that didnt work...I will post this image on my website tonight and link back to it.

THANK YOU
chris

edit: I fixed your link. You just needed an img tag on the end... Mike...
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Postby skacutter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 pm

:? yeah i see......im just an idiot 8)
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Postby skacutter » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:01 pm

So what do you think? Its all 11 gauge 2x2 but the main trailer rails are HEAVY DUTY 3x2 steel. I am taking a wild stab in the dark but im going to say toung weight will be around 300lb
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:15 am

OK, here goes, don't say you didn't ask. 8)

First off if you do what you have in mind with the estimated tongue weight you are going to have problems, here is my suggestion

The 2x2 is the tubing you have but I would strongly suggest using 2x3x1/8 or 3/16 for the tongue itself. You have to keep in mind that no matter how strong the rest of your frame is it is no help to the tongue.
If you build it as you have it drawn you really have no strength. The 2 extra pieces you have inside the A frame do essentialy nothing unless you have plans to mount something there.
Do yourself a favor and pick up a piece of 2x3.
That's my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby doug hodder » Thu Mar 30, 2006 12:57 am

Rich... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: that's what I'd do....Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby asianflava » Thu Mar 30, 2006 2:00 am

I agree with the revision, in the first layout, the entire tongue is only welded in 2 places. The stress is concentrated in those 2 places, eventually the entire tongue will twist off the side rails. You need at least 4 points of contact with the side rails, the further apart they are, the stronger it will be.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:34 am

Something like this. 2" X 3: X 3/16" tongue. The bracing is 2" X 2" X 1/8" angle.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Chris C » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:52 am

Me too! 8) Except Bledsoe is farther along in his picture! :cry:

Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby EZ » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:40 am

Chris,

Does it say Kasperwing??!!?? Not to change the topic but where I come from a Kasperwing is a 1980's vintage flying wing ultralight designed by I think Withold Kasper (foggy memory).

So I go to your site and there it is. Do you own one? Still flying? I have never flown one but a guy in our club used to routinely fly to 5000-8000 feet and shut down for some soaring. How cool. Then he would pack it up in his pickup and go home.
Nice camper build (and website) but too many fisheye pictures make me dizzy..... :SG

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby skacutter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:02 am

First off- Thank you all for the information. This site ROCKS!!! This is going to sound strange but i swear I have been to 3 steel supply outlets here on Long Island and I cannot find stronger gauge steel in 2x2 OR 2x3 channel. Im sure its out there just not easy to find. Do you think it would make sence to double up the 2x2 11 gauge by stacking 2 sections and welding them together. I also negelected to detail that the new steel is weleded and supported by the old frame at the point that the new main rail intersects with the old frame. Nitetimes drew in an additional section of 2x2 1/8th in his response and that section is already there but its not 2x2 its L bracket for the trailer deck. The L bracket is a pretty good gauge steel.

Thanks......... Cutter
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Postby Nitetimes » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:21 am

Don't take this wrong, but if you are asking for a different gauge channel you won't find much, it is measured by weight. You are looking for 2x3x3/16" tubing, anyone should have that. If they don't have that the 2x3x1/8" tubing will work for your tongue with the A bracing. You could do the stacked 2x2 but keep in mind that if not very carefully welded it will look like a noodle when you are done and most likely will have some bow to it regardless.
I put the front X-member in because you don't have it shown, if you have something there that is strong enough, that is fine.
My only concern was your estimated tongue weight and the materials you planned to use, I'd hate to see all that nice work turned to splinters on the highway. Your trailer is relatively heavy so your tongue needs to be strong enough to handle it. No need to overbuild excessively but please don't underbuild.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby skacutter » Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:21 am

ED: Yes the name of the trailer is "The Kasperwing Sleeper" inspired by my need for someplace to stay when I take my Kasperwing ultralite out on the road for some flying trips. I host the Kasperwing website which is dedicated to the Kasperwing ultralight design. Check out the main site at

www.kasperwing.com

or the trailer build pages at

http://kasperwing.com/teardrop.htm

Regards
Chris
skacutter
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets