sway conrol

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

sway conrol

Postby Ron Dickey » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:22 pm

I am looking at DMV for California Starts
http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/dl648/dl648pt12.htm

Perform a safety inspection before each trip. Make sure that:

* The pin securing the ball mount to the receiver is intact.
* The hitch coupler is secured.
* Spring bar hinges are tight with the safety clips in place (load equalizer or weight distributing hitches).
* Safety chains are properly attached.
* The electrical plug is properly installed.

farther down it states

Sway Control

You should have good trailer handling if the weight and hitch adjustments are correct. However, the coupling between a tow vehicle and trailer should also prevent side to side motion for best possible towing comfort and safety. If you detect sway in your trailer, stop and check to see if the load has shifted. Check for suspension problems and make sure the tires and wheels are secure and inflated properly. Be sure the trailer hitch is secure. A small reduction in tire air pressure or a slight increase in tongue weight may help. A sway control device should be included when the hitch is installed. This device helps give the tow vehicle and trailer a "one-vehicle" feel. There are two basic types of sway control systems available:

* Friction bar—slides in and out and is activated by the motion of the vehicles. When you brake or turn, the trailer weight compresses the bar which then compresses the trailer against the tow vehicle.
* Dual cam sway control—usually works better for large trailers with heavy tongue weights. The cam action is applied to the spring of the trailer to reduce sway and shifts the weight forward. It also adjusts weight shifts which allows the trailer to follow the tow vehicle.

" If the tongue is too short, the trailer will sway."
"If too long, the trailer will be sluggish and cut corners when turning. "

Question
do small trailers require sway conrol it states trailers under 1500 lbs do not need brakes!
:thinking:
also states about brakes
"Breakaway switches are also required for any trailer having a gross weight of 1500 lbs. or more and manufactured after December 31, 1955."

but I have never hear any of you mentions a stway control device.
:o
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Postby Chris C » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:55 pm

Ron,

I can't imagine why one would need a sway control on a teardrop. Guess it's possible a particular trailer would have a problem, but I've never heard of it. As far as brakes.............buddy, that's up to you. Many of us will be or are towing with vehicles smaller than monster trucks. Personally, I have a Honda Accord and plan on pulling with it. So I want brakes. And if I have brakes, I'll have a breakaway control on them. Just makes sense to me. Others have chosen not to have brakes. So it's up to you............whatever you're comfortable with. :thinking:
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets