Trailer jack on HF trailer 'V' tongue

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby bennelson » Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:40 pm

I got to make it out to Camp-Inn the other day.

Boy, those guys are nice. I wasn't really expecting to see a 12-man teardrop manufacturing plant.

Anyways, I mentioned mounting the jack like this, and I was simply warned to make sure the jack would retract far enough and watch the ball height.

Also, you have to watch how the back of your car opens. I guess some SUV hatches can have a problem with the SUV hatch wacking the top of the retracted jack leg! Also, dropping the tailgate of a pickup straight onto the top of the jack leg sounds like a great dent too.

I am using a hatch-back car to pull most of the time, but I think I will have to make sure the back doors on my van would clear the jack.

-Ben
still no idea what i'm doing...
bennelson
Teardrop Master

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:43 am

EZ, the reason I am using two jacks is the one I got from Harbor Freight just wasn't a very good jack and I bought the other one from Northern Tools. I figured I would use both jacks, that way I would have a front leveling jack. Even with the two jacks on the front, they both leaned out at the bottom. I corrected this with an aluminum bar bolted to the bottom of the tongue channel. Now both jacks sit straight. I appreciate your compliment my friend.
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets