I'm twisted, what worked!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

I'm twisted, what worked!

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:46 pm

My mom took the firewood off my back and I feel better. I am however twisted. My drivers side rear is down about 1 5/8" and my passenger side front is down 1 1/4". Do you supposed there is a way to rehabilitate me before mom really looses her cool? :(

Mom say's she is open to anything that works without totally rewelding. I hope. :lol:

Sincerely Miriam's about to be born tear.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby PaulC » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:59 pm

Hi Miriam, a jig and a porta-power will do the trick. Alternatively you could use a high(12t plus) hydraulic jack in place of the porta-power. It will require stress and judicial use of an arc welder, once you have aligned the frame, to heat shrink and hold in the new position. Nitetimes should be able to explain that better than me. I only know that it works.
At least you're only twisted not bitter and twisted. :lol:
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby angib » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:44 pm

Miriam,

If those are open sections - like angles and channels, not square or rectangular tubes - they will take much less to twist them straight. Indeed their lack of torsional stiffness is probably how the frame got twisted.

So raise the two low corners on sturdy blocks and then set about putting weights on the other two corners to see if you can take the twist out - like half the family on one corner and half on the other, and then try to sychronize the jumping?

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Chris C » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:49 pm

Sychronize their jumping? :bounce: :laughter: :lol: :rofl: :laughing1: Somebody get a camera, quick!!!!!
Chris :D

The tension between what is good enough and what is beyond that creates the space for character to become our work.

Teardrop Trailer Build Pictures: http://tinyurl.com/px5cd
Chris C

Postby Noob » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:06 pm

... if all else fails. You can always take it to a frame shop, to get it staightened. ( prolly, wont be cheap. )

Marty.
Bend the knees, watch the trees, 5$ please.
Noob
The 300 Club

Postby Steve_Cox » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:16 pm

I'm with Andrew on this one, a low tech response. Block up the low corners a little higher than they will be when level and load the firewood back on. Another way, If you had a tree and a come-a-long, you could load the firewood or something heavy with one of the low corners blocked and the other low corner under the tree limb, attach the come-a-long to the unblocked low corner and pull it back into place... I personally like the tree and the come-a-long method myself, straightened out a truck frame that way once. Only used 2 trees.
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 09, 2006 7:19 pm

It's ok mom's got a cool one. (root beer). :lol:

Thanks guys. I think I will try the blocks. It is open channel that my brother put angle on for some reason. The trailer is level across most of the top. The square of about 4'x4' out of 6'4" x 8'6 is as level as it can be. The other two corners are level across the diagional.

The axle will be moved to reflect the difference of 3/4".

Andrew, should I leave the axle on and place the blocks where the wheels are off the ground only the amount that I need to correct? Does that make sense? (So not to over correct.)

Gratefully
Miriam and baby
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 09, 2006 9:16 pm

:lol: Well did anyone notice the previous post was spelled and punctuated correctly? Mike had to submitt for me cause the baby (Hailey) needed changing.

I don't have a come-a-long and my trees are really big. If the blocks don't work I may have to hire a jumping crew.

Mike said he isn't jumping and Hailey says she is going to let Grandpa hold her to watch the fun. Miriam would make a spectacle of herself if she thought it would help. :lol: But I need to woman the camera cause Chriss is already nagging for pictures. I could sell them to America's funniest home video. :lol: :lol:

We shall see.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Gage » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:21 pm

Miriam, what size teardrop are you going to build? Are you going to need all that steel or are you going to be cutting it down? That's something you might consider before you start jumping up and down. If you plan on shorting the width, maybe after you remove the outside rails, it'll straighten itself out. Just a thought.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:31 pm

Good almost morning Gage,
This trailer is about 6'4" x 8'6" and I think we are going to try to keep it the same. When I got Mike on board I agreed to try for a potty and room for the dogs.

The outside rails are the only thing bent the rest seems to be very level. I measured this by putting a 2x6 across the needed areas with a level on top. 6" standing and two on trailer. Lets me know where off and by how much.

If I can't straighten it out may consider getting someone to remake and go to 5' wide :thumbdown:

In my album I have a drawing for our semi agreed on floor plan. It looks pretty good. Close to what Andrew suggested. Just need more advice on the quirks waiting to get me. Number 1 quirk is a 4' hatch with 6 wide tear.

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Micro469 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:09 am

Miriam C. wrote:Good almost morning Gage,
This trailer is about 6'4" x 8'6" and I think we are going to try to keep it the same. When I got Mike on board I agreed to try for a potty and room for the dogs.

The outside rails are the only thing bent the rest seems to be very level. I measured this by putting a 2x6 across the needed areas with a level on top. 6" standing and two on trailer. Lets me know where off and by how much.

If I can't straighten it out may consider getting someone to remake and go to 5' wide :thumbdown:

In my album I have a drawing for our semi agreed on floor plan. It looks pretty good. Close to what Andrew suggested. Just need more advice on the quirks waiting to get me. Number 1 quirk is a 4' hatch with 6 wide tear.
Miriam

I suggest you PM 48Rob about that one . He seems to have figured it out.
He's got a real nice tear..... :thumbsup:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:20 am

:D Hey John!

He's got a real nice tear.....

Now that you mention it---Good idea. Need to take another look at his. He has the hatch in the middle I think but the problems with water should be the same.

Thanks.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Micro469 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:23 am

Miriam C. wrote::D Hey John!

He's got a real nice tear.....

Now that you mention it---Good idea. Need to take another look at his. He has the hatch in the middle I think but the problems with water should be the same.

Thanks.

Don't overthink the problems.. you'll go crazy. If it worked for him , it'l work for you. Find out how he sealed it and use the same method.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby angib » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:47 am

Miriam C. wrote:Andrew, should I leave the axle on and place the blocks where the wheels are off the ground only the amount that I need to correct? Does that make sense? (So not to over correct.)

I don't think it matters if the axle is kept on or not - if you need it off to make the blocks lower, you can take it off, but it isn't necessary otherwise.

It would be good to limit how far you twist the frame the other way - to save you putting just as big a twist in the other direction! However you will need to 'overshoot' well past straight-and-level in order to permanently straighten the frame. If it's 3/4" one way now, you're going to need to go to more than 1" the other way to twist it straight. How much, no-one can tell - you'll have to give it a twist, let it go and measure how much you moved it, before you know how far to go.

Miriam C. wrote:Gratefully
Miriam and baby

Nice baby, though he's surprisingly tall and has a lot of facial hair, judging by the photo...... :lol:

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 10, 2006 7:18 am

:lol: Yes Andrew he is my baby too. I ment the baby tear that is trying to be born. :lol: This creation thing is worrysome.

I I guess I need to watch it straighten out. Somehow I thought it would take a couple of days. Think when it is straight I will put some proper angle on to keep it that way. The corners float and I don't want to do all that work for nothing. 8) Time to get to know my local shade tree welder. :lol:

going out as soon as I wake up real good and the stores open.

Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets