I'm twisted, what worked!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Chip » Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:03 am

Getting the family to stand on the corners and do syncronized jumping,,,

now dat sounds like one of thos famous,,,,"Hold my beer,,, watch this!!
situations,,,,

good luck with that twist Miriam,, sorry I cant help any more than whats already been suggested

chipper
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:31 am

Try putting a long 4x4 under the low end from the corner then up inside accross the middle, a lever and fulcrum, then weight down the middle, and lift the the long end, the low end will become the fulcrum, the lever will apply multiplyed force to it and middle will become the irrisistable force/ object.
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:06 pm

:shhh: :rofl:
and lift the the long end, the low end will become the fulcrum, the lever will apply multiplyed force to it and middle will become the irrisistable force/ object.

Gman,
Would that I could :EXP
That would be a great idea if I could do it. Unfortunately, I can't do anything that will cause hubby dearest to feel he needs to lift. I doubt if I could lift it without getting hurt too. Been too long on my uhhuhs at the computer.

The twisted child is right now on jacks with the high sides weighted and the axles swinging, in a ballanced way. I hope the sun will warm it up and when it gets cool it will set. If not it's off to the nearest farmer/welder I can find.
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby gman » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:08 pm

use a jack
Junk is something you've kept for years
And throw away three weeks before you need it.
gman
The 300 Club

Postby Boodro » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:26 pm

Naw Chip , its syncronized jumping ,the new British Olympic sport ! :applause: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

9.5 9.5 10.0 10.0
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:31 pm

Naw Chip , its syncronized jumping ,the new British Olympic sport
!

There ya go Boodro and Chip, I just get some Brits' to come on over, or maybe I could go there. Ya'll hold ma root beer and I'll jump just once.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: (I lied)

use a jack

Gman I started to say I got 2 but then what's left of my brain kicked in (might've been the jump) and I got it. :lol:

Should I expect this to go in place right away? Cause it has been out all day. Truth is the wheels were off the ground and they are about touching now. Had it ballanced real carefully. Looks bad but I think it got it level. Now if it will just stay that way when I drop the jacks. :roll:

Nighty night!
Miriam

Hey Chip--- Courtney may not look like you but she has a great sense of humor. :applause:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:31 pm

:) This baby is less than 1/4 inch off on each corner and that is as good as it gets at this house. :D

What worked? I got up this morning and the tires were touching the ground but the corners were off 5/8 on the front and 7/8 on the back. So I jacked it back up to get the tires off the ground about 1" and loaded the high corners till the tires touched the ground this time. Left it 4 hours and here we are. Now to get the rust off and paint. :)

This is what it looked like. Ugly but worked.

Perhaps we could find some rust eating catapillars to do the grunge work. 8)

Thank you for your help and jokes. Keeps me lined out.
Last edited by Miriam C. on Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby angib » Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:53 pm

Miriam,

That sounds like a flexible frame! Glad it worked out OK.

When you add the body, the whole thing will become much stiffer and less liable to get twisted* - but that means you need to check that the frame is still straight just before you close up the body (typically, when you put the roof on) otherwise you'll build in any twist that the frame's got at that moment. If you were to support the frame on blocks, so it has to stay level while you're working on it, then you can't have that problem.

Andrew

* A Chubby Checker song, I believe.......
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby goldcoop » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:36 pm

Miriam-

I think your leaf springs maybe fagged out!

Are there multiple leaves?

Maybe a good cleaning and oiling will do some good, check 48Robs article on spring refurb. @

http://vintagetraileraxle.blogspot.com/

Cheers,

Coop
Last edited by goldcoop on Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby PaulC » Tue Apr 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi Miriam, Those tyres look kind if round :lol: Oops, we've already covered that subject. Just looking at that last pic I would have to agree with Coop. Those leaf springs seem to have an unusual profile suggesting they a very tired.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:33 pm

:) Well it's still straight!!!

Andrew, I think your right about the flex. I will put it on blocks in a level place. :? Have to make a good level place first. I will also put a note in my list of things to do to check that at several different stages.

Coop and Paul the springs do look flattened out. I wasn't sure if that is because my bro put them on top of the axle or if just tired. Thanks for the URL. I will get them cleaned.

I am looking for some 12 in car wheels. It will only add a couple of inches to the height so I may try to put them back the way they came. Do you think that will help????

Have to rewire it too. Got 3 different sections of wiring with no color consistancy. That really drives me ovaries! 8)

Thanks again.
Miriam

Hey don't insult the wings man! It's a shame I can't use them. :lol:
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby toypusher » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:52 pm

Miriam C. wrote::) ............I am looking for some 12 in car wheels. ...................

TSC, HF and Wally World all sell 12" wheels. 4 and 5 bolt patterns.
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:08 pm

:o I truly never looked at TSC for car wheels. Don't know why, they sell them here! I will look again. Checking the salvage yards too.

By the way Andrew Mike says I can put it on the deck, it's level. Do you suppose he is wanting his own version of a tree house? Little escape, to read without being bothered. :roll:

My thanks.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:10 pm

:D I truly never looked at TSC for car wheels. Don't know why, they sell them here! I will look again. Checking the salvage yards too.

By the way Andrew Mike says I can put it on the deck, it's level. Do you suppose he is wanting his own version of a tree house? Little escape, to read without being bothered. :roll:

Oh yeah, Coop the springs are 4 layers.

My thanks.
Miriam
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Boodro » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:42 pm

Miriam , if your springs are tired , maybe you could install some light shocks to help carry the weight. Kinda like the Big Finn did on his frame. Or maybe replace the leaves if you can find some . Just my 2 sense , ain't worth much. 8)

Ahhhh... hope your ovaries are better ! :oops: :whistle: :rofl2: :rofl2:
We are all travelers in this world , from the sweet grass to the packin house , birth till death , we travel between the eternities . ( Robert Duvall as Prentiss Ritter)
Boodro
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets