Trailer Question.....

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Trailer Question.....

Postby CSVGORDI » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:13 pm

First post of many to come I'm sure.....

My name is Gordi (nickname), I live in FLorida and I am a total newbie who got hooked on building either a tear or tiny trailer about two years ago.

Well, two years, several direct hits from hurricanes later and the aftermath that had followed, the plans went south.

Well, now that things have settled back down again, I have decided to start the plans for a tiny trailer. My father has decided to help me out with the budget by donating a trailer for the build.

The trailer was originally purchased to haul several full dress motorcycles around while on vacation. Dad no longer rides and the trailer was just sitting around.

It is just over six (6) feet wide and ten (10) feet long. It has leaf springs with the axle mounted above them. The sides are expanded metal with the fenders attached, a rear drop gate (not pictured), a fixed jack in front and even a spare tire.

I originally wanted to buid a tear, but with this trailer I don't think it would be possible without a lot of modifiying (cutting off sides, remounting fenders, etc.) which is outside of my budget at this time.

At first, I thought about building a "weekender" by cutting a section of the side frame out to allow for side doors and still go with a rear galley.

My idea now, is to build a version of George Teagues "GT Compact" with a flat back, rear entry door, no pop up, and the galley on the inside (Florida weather, heat, rain, wind).

My version would not sit as high as this one because the pod would sit on the frame which is between the wheels in a lower position. I think this would be the best design for this type of trailer and easier to water / weatherproof.

What are your thoughts on how this may look with the sides of the original trailer still in tact?

Looking forward to your thoughts.....

Gordi
"En grisrumpa är fläsk, rök den och det blir skinka."
CSVGORDI
Teardrop Inspector

Postby goldcoop » Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:38 pm

Gordi-

Welcome to the group!

The only thing that comes to mind is getting in/out, the door is gonna be UP there.

Maybe steps or something?

Cheers,

Coop
goldcoop
Silver Donating Member

Postby CSVGORDI » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:01 pm

Thanks for the welcome.....it feels good to talk to people who don't think your crazy for building a trailer..... :D

My entry height, however; would only be approximately 18 inches from the ground (much lower than the one pictured).

I am going to set the pod within the side rails on the current deck (or a lighter version / new one) which in only 18 inches from the ground.

This is much lower than most of the trailers I have seen.

Gordi
CSVGORDI
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Arne » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:09 pm

unless you plan on converting back, cut off the verticals and just keep the bed.... and build from there.... the veritical members are dead weight.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Re: Trailer Question.....

Postby Steve_Cox » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:16 pm

CSVGORDI wrote:
What are your thoughts on how this may look with the sides of the original trailer still in tact?

Looking forward to your thoughts.....

Gordi

Gordi,

Sometimes ya gotta be careful what you ask for.

If you are going to spend your time and efforts and maybe some of Dad's bread as well as your own, don't take short cuts. You said you didn't have the $$ to cut the frame and fenders.... hacksaw blades are fairly cheap, Harbor Freight sells grinders pretty cheap too. It is much harder to modify a trailer than to build a specific use one for a TD or tiny trailer, but it is worth the effort to start with a good foundation. Build something you can be proud of later. If you havent been there please look at Joanne's web page and the Desert Dog. You will be impressed by what someone can do with a used trailer. You have a good start there with that trailer, It's up to you what happens now.

8)
Steve
Steve_Cox
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Chip » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:18 pm

Gordi, first welcome to the adult day care room,,, read, look, ask,, and ponder,, but most of all have fun,,

on your questions,, first I have a couple,, what are you gonna tow this trailer with and how high are you gonna make it from floor to roof,,, ,, reason for first question is you have a sturdy and heavy trailer, now after you put another 500 to 800 lbs up in the wind is the trailer gonna kill your tow vehicle due to weight and wind resistance,,

second ,, the sides look to be about 10" or so tall and ya gonna need 30 to 36" high door min for comfort getting in and out, if its 4' high you are running out of room,, one other option is to have the side where the door is gonna be located lowered to accomodate an easy entry and exit,, I can just see one of those late night exits that resembles hold my beer ,, watch this,,,

what you have described is most buildable, but there are some obsticals that you should consider in the process,,,

think her thru and it will turn out mo better,,

chipper :thumbsup:
Living large,,,travling small !!!
54"x9'4" tear
4'x8' tear
Serro Scotty rebuild(in progress)
Chip
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CSVGORDI » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:47 pm

arnereil and Steve_Cox....

The side rails appear to be welded in as part of the corners. I could cut them off even with the top of the deck and when repainted they should blend in fairly well. I could also skirt the trailer frame when the side walls are put on.

Your right about them being dead weight and I think they would be ugly on a camping trailer.

Chip...

My current tow vehicle is a Ford Crown Victoria (V-8 Police Package) with my new vehicle, full size Dodge Pickup (Hemi) = (reason for budget) coming shortly.

The rear of the trailer is open and would give me full height to make an entry door if I leave the sides on.

I think with some creative cutting and grinding, I should be able to cut off the sides leaving the fenders attached and intact.

Thanks for the quick reply's and the great advice.....

Gordi
CSVGORDI
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bg » Fri Apr 14, 2006 6:45 pm

Here's a compact clone without the popup. link
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby CSVGORDI » Fri Apr 14, 2006 7:35 pm

bg...

Thanks for that link. That is what I am probably going to build, or a modified version of.

Being my first build, I think that would be an easy and quick one without all the complicated curves, however; if I can alter my frame the way I want to, a large tear may be in the works.

Thanks
Gordi
CSVGORDI
Teardrop Inspector

Postby madjack » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:37 pm

CS, welcome to the board...I see ya got the pic thing down which is great, 'cause we do luv da pics around here :D ...a suggestion...sell the trailer...you should get enough for it to buy a HF or TSC trailer and put some change in your pocket...I don't care what your tow vehicle is, why tow an extra 4/500 unneeded pounds aound with fuel costing what it does at present and in the future
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby Melvin » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:13 pm

arnereil wrote:unless you plan on converting back, cut off the verticals and just keep the bed.... and build from there.... the veritical members are dead weight.

Be aware that on many trailers with sides like that the sides are supporting members. Cut off the sides and the thing turns into a wet noodle.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

Postby Nitetimes » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:25 am

Melvin wrote:
Be aware that on many trailers with sides like that the sides are supporting members. Cut off the sides and the thing turns into a wet noodle.

From the pictures it doesn't look that that should be a problem with this one, looks like 2-2 1/2" angle (maybe 3") which once the box is built will be plenty strong. Lop them sides off, it'll be fine. :thumbsup:
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: Trailer Question.....

Postby angib » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:31 am

CSVGORDI wrote:Image

It looks to me like you've not got a lot of suspension travel on that spring - has it sagged while not being used? Either it will hit the underside of the deck on bumps or else it won't move at all.

Someone will now tell me that it's the angle of the photo and there's loads of travel left.......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:30 am

Good catch... looks like it is, or almost is, sitting on the frame....

Easy enough to fix... but should not be left unattended. Looks like the trailer might be homemade (I've not read all the notes fully), so the springs might have come from something lighter..... they don't have much bulk to them for the size of the trailer.... but, that can all be fixed. Re-arch them, add a leaf, replace, etc.... not a deal breaker.

my other note didn't take (probably operator error).... anyway, I would weigh this trailer. I'm starting to think that free may not cut it here... If you are hauling a couple hundred extra pounds around for years cause you got it cheap, it may not be worth it.... it is starting to look way too heavy to me.... like the axle for starters.... and the x-members for another.

www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby CSVGORDI » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:27 pm

Nitetimes.....

The sides and corners are not part of the framework and will be coming off soon! After removing the sides and all of those 2 x 6's it should shed alot of weight.

angib...

There is approximately 4 inches between the axle and the frame. The springs are heavy duty and barely move at all. I recently transported a 1700lb safe on the trailer directly over the axle with no problems. Sometimes I think the springs are too stiff.

arnereil...

The photo is not a good one of the springs. There are 4 leafs that are about 1/4 inch thick each.

About the weight....how much should a trailer frame weigh for a project like this?

I am going to cut off the sides, front and remove the 2 x 6's then take it to the local dump to put it on the scale. I am even considering taking off the fenders with their supports and attaching some to the trailer at a later time. I am hoping to get it down to about 400-600 lbs after the diet.

Thanks
Gordi
CSVGORDI
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets