Canadian Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Canadian Trailer

Postby mgordon » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:48 pm

Hello All

Its my first post I stumbled into this, I was looking at t@b trailers and found this, now Im going to build one. Right now Im thinking a generic benroy, is a 41/2 by 8 ft good I think it can take 1300 lbs. Ive seen alot of red trailers and HF. I am in edmonton, alberta and looking for a good canadian trailer supplier rather than build one (which I can do) but ideally like to buy one for this one less headaches. I ll keep you informed throught my many requests

Thanks in advance

Matt
When you're going through hell...keep going.
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Canadian Trailer

Postby mikeschn » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:51 pm

Your first post is great... Oh, BTW, welcome to the fouum...

Are you thinking about building a tab clone or a bonafide teardrop? Just wondered...

Mike...

mgordon wrote:Hello All

Its my first post I stumbled into this, I was looking at t@b trailers and found this, now Im going to build one. Right now Im thinking a generic benroy, is a 41/2 by 8 ft good I think it can take 1300 lbs. Ive seen alot of red trailers and HF. I am in edmonton, alberta and looking for a good canadian trailer supplier rather than build one (which I can do) but ideally like to buy one for this one less headaches. I ll keep you informed throught my many requests

Thanks in advance

Matt
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Thanks Mike

Postby mgordon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Thanks for the reply, I think Its going to be a bonafied teardrop, thats as it stands right now, But that may change the more I look into, but I think I dont
want to get too carried away on my first one. I still like the idea of a TT being towed by a small car we have a jetta.

Build date is 01 november 06 so Im getting ready now.

Matt
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Thanks Mike

Postby Userzero » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:26 pm

This is my first post. Hello all!

I was also looking at the T@B, I also have a Jetta, (2.5 MkV) and I also live in Canada, and now I also want to build my first Teardrop...

I love the concept of the Teardrop trailer and saw a few pics of a nice one being towed by a black MkIV Jetta and it was gorgeous!

I was looking into what's available in Canada in terms of trailers. I am a fairly good backyard welder if I say so myself, but a friend of mine told me that a trailer sold at Walmart, the Snowbear, is pretty sturdy and they used it successfully as a platform for mobile air conditioning units that were sold to the Canadian Armed Forces last year. It's built in Canada and they have a few interesting sizes for what we have in mind. I'm told they have the same trailers at Costco. The 4x8 one goes for 649$ plus tax at Walmart. So far, that's the best I was able to find.
George Payne

"Tell me what you need and i'll show you how to make do without it."
Userzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:20 pm

:) Welcome both Newbies.

Guess you know we have trouble being too serious, too often so join the fun.

Trailers==If you are not welding, try Harbor Freight, Tractor Supply co. or Red trailer.

Canadians might have an import fee but I bet Micro will be along soon and let ya know.

Enjoy
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Canadian Snowbear trailers

Postby mgordon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:38 pm

Thanks Miriam and Userzero(I hope I got your name right)

Miriam; I was looking into the US trailers HF, etc but one problem other things Ive brought in from the US has been brokerage fees some almost cost the same as the item ordered so I d like to stay close to home if I can.

User I have found snow bear trailers at Canadian tire 41/2x8 is $500.00, I havent seen the walmart trailers yet but Ill look into them.

So just for ease a 4x8 is a good chasis to start not too small or should I look into a 5x9? and is 1500lbs capacity okay for starters.

Thanks
Matt
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby PaulC » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:09 pm

It's great to see a couple more from the Commonwealth getting involved with the compulsion we call teardrops :shock: Welcome aboard Matt and Userzero. Have fun with your research and ask lots of questions.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Is this trailer good?

Postby mgordon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:40 pm

I found this one at canadian tire now on sale its payload capacity is 1255lbs and has 8 inch wheels(which I will change) cost $400.00 Will this do the trick?

matt

Thanks for hello PaulC. I think I should be okay in the question department I have alot of them

Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Is this trailer good?

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:44 pm

mgordon wrote:I found this one at canadian tire now on sale its payload capacity is 1255lbs and has 8 inch wheels(which I will change) cost $400.00 Will this do the trick?

matt

Thanks for hello PaulC. I think I should be okay in the question department I have alot of them

Welcome Canadian newbies Matt and Userzero,
that trailer should do if you build light, check the ultra light threads for some ideas.
what is the size?
seems like 5' wide is good if you need some room to sleep it will give you close to a queen bed.
You can build over the frame no problem I have a 5X8+ 1' tongue box on my frame. The square part is about 4'x5'. Each side is just 1- 10' stick of 2x2 angle. Good luck
Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Trailer frame

Postby mgordon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:07 pm

Thanks for the reply steve, your photos did not post so I cant see what you were showing.

What would be the "ideal" trailer for a generic benroy a far as spec

matt
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Sorry Pic did make it

Postby mgordon » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:14 pm

Sorry steve, I reloaded the site and they came in. What is the weight of your trailer, and the dimensons, what do you have in your galley.
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Micro469 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:45 pm

Hi, Fellow Canadians. I had my trailer built for me by a professional trailer builder in Brampton. Cost me $600.00 fo what you see in the pic.
Those trailers at C.T. are very cheaply built. The axles are very small, and the cross framing is quite narrow. Also, the side rails are higher than the cross rails , so you have to account for that. If you want larger tires, you might have to replace the axle as well. I have to admit, they are lightweight, so if you keep the weight of the tear to aminimum, those trailers would probably do all right. The only thing I've noticed with this group is they put everything ...including the kitchen sink in the tears.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Miriam C. » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:04 pm

Mgordon,
The generic Benroy is made on a harbor freight 4x8 folding trailer. I don't think it is the little one. They have two and now carry a 5x8.

If you go to the Harbor Freight web site it gives the details including what it is made of. I would pull it up but the :frustrated: is being slow tonight.

Good luck with the build.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: Trailer frame

Postby bledsoe3 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:39 am

mgordon wrote:Thanks for the reply steve, your photos did not post so I cant see what you were showing.

What would be the "ideal" trailer for a generic benroy a far as spec

matt

I'm building the Generic Benroy on a home built 5' X 8' trailer. You can see pictures here. http://tnttt.com/album_ ... er_id=1098
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby rampage » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:15 am

Miriam C. wrote:Mgordon,
The generic Benroy is made on a harbor freight 4x8 folding trailer. I don't think it is the little one. They have two and now carry a 5x8.

If you go to the Harbor Freight web site it gives the details including what it is made of. I would pull it up but the :frustrated: is being slow tonight.

Good luck with the build.
Miriam

Actually, the Generirc Benroy is built on a 5x8 Redtrailer.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets