Canadian Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby angib » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:45 am

Userzero wrote:What do you guys think?

That looks good - well, except for the night-of-the-living-dead zombie sitting at the table....... (why do all zombies stick out their arms like that and why would you have one modelled in AutoCad?)

Some ideas/checks:

- The galley countertop looks low - that may make it deeper (front to back) but then it reduces storage space under, and my back can't take low countertops.

- The top of the door looks low - as long as you leave 3-4" over the door for the strength of the body, the top of the door can usefully go that high.

- Have you left a gap between the corner of the table and the door frame that's at least your torso depth plus 3-6"? If your table comes from the floor opening and then attaches to the street-side wall, you'll get this clearance, but it's worth checking - nothing worse than knocking your dinner off the table every time you climb in or out.......

Andrew
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Userzero » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:59 am

To avoid hijacking Matt's thread, I created a new one in general discussion, titled What do you think of my design.

Sorry Matt!

:oops:

Georges
George Payne

"Tell me what you need and i'll show you how to make do without it."
Userzero
Teardrop Inspector

No worrys Georges

Postby mgordon » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:38 am

I like your design, gives me alot of ideas Im sure Ill jump in on one of yours sometime, I really like your design.

matt
When you're going through hell...keep going.
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Miriam C. » Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:46 pm

I finally found it. The lost Benroy. :thumbsup:

http://www.mikenchell.com/Baja_Benroy_Photos/

Check out the pictures and the build info is all over the place but I bet Mike can tell you where.

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Re: Trailers

Postby Micro469 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 12:05 am

mgordon wrote:Micro thanks for the info, I might copy yours, if its okay.
matt

Just a word... I got mine built and told the guy just to put cheap 12" wheels on it. I wanted to put 14 or 15" wheels on later. Now that I got the 15" wheels, I find the axle is about4" too short, and the trailr stand at about 20" high. Luckily I found a place that can not only lengthen the axle but change it to adrop axle for about $85.00. That will change my trailer height to about 16" which is more acceptable to my design. Wish I had thought it out better..... am wasting a lot of time....and money I could be spendind on wood.
:cry:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

frame reply

Postby mgordon » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:12 pm

Thanks again I've flip flopped probally 3 or 4 times from build to buy I'm just pricing out material for now but thanks for the info I ve spent the $50 for the disk on trailer building from the inside out, its from on of the members here and toypusher gave it rave reviews and mike also had good things to say so really I dont really know what I'm going to do for a frame right now.

I :thinking: when I know I'll ask for review of it but again thanks for all you help till now

matt
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby asianflava » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:33 pm

If you are that undecided about your frame, you might have to bite the bullet, and have one built. Otherwise you will never be satisified.

Buying and cutting the tubing is easy enough for you to do. All you really have to do is find someone to weld it together for you.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby mgordon » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:33 pm

Thanks asainflava, Im pretty sure that Im going to build I have a couple of friends who can weld so I think thats probally the way Im going to go.

Im thinking about 5x9 ish frame

thanks
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby homeroast » Thu May 25, 2006 2:47 pm

There is a supplier out of Burnaby who stock redtrailers. The price on the 5'x8' is $550. The company is Burnaby Hitch and their toll free number is 877-444-1773.

Edit: Shipping to Calgary is $230 (ouch)
homeroast
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Is this trailer good?

Postby Melvin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:36 am

mgordon wrote:I found this one at canadian tire now on sale its payload capacity is 1255lbs and has 8 inch wheels(which I will change) cost $400.00 Will this do the trick?

I've got one of these trailers, now with around 5000kms on it. They are not bad, I've certianly pulled much worse.

The Good:
The fenders are very heavy duty.
Sturdy once decked.
2" coupler and locking safety chains.

The Bad:
The tail lights are very exposed and placed such that you are practically garanteed to hit something with them eventually. This is especially true because with the 8" wheels the trailer is very close to the ground. I am going to replace the taillights (mine are already damaged) with round units shielded by a short length of 6" schedule 10 pipe.

The 8" tires work OK but they aren't as tough as larger sizes. I hit a king size pot hole that must have been 30" long and 6" deep with basically vertical sides and took out one tire (PS: the trailer doesn't come with a spare). A 12" tire probably wouldn't have been damaged.

Pulled by my 89 Voyager. Note the trailer sits mostly level. I'm using a straight draw bar in a reese hitch.

Deck before attaching sides. The Deck measures ~53X102 inches.

As it came from Canadian tire. Mine was already assembled, I'm not sure if they all come this way. I would have prefered to do it myself as they botched the wiring and never even bothered to hook up the front markers. The fenders are held on by the same bolts that secure the springs.
Commandant Louis Joseph Lahure has a singular distinction in military history - he defeated a navy on horseback. Occupying Holland in January 1795, the French continental army learned that the mighty Dutch navy had been frozen into the ice around Texel Island. So Lahure and 128 men simply rode up to it and demanded surrender. No shots were fired.
Melvin
Teardrop Master

canadian trailer

Postby luluyug » Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:16 am

salut les amis!! i had a canadian tire trailer sith 8 inch wheels ( the smaller version) it was a good trailer but lacked the sturdiness of a 2x2 steel tubing one. the side rails are 2x3 inch but are very thin steel. i like the tongh on the new model but they made it with the same thikness of steel. be carefull to the axle placement so you don`t run into the same problems as i add with weight distribution. go canadian builders. salut.
luluyug
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets