Canadian Trailer

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Postby Miriam C. » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:48 am

:(
Actually, the Generirc Benroy is built on a 5x8 Redtrailer

Rampage you are absolutely right. Now I have to figure out which group of printouts go with which. :roll:

Thanks for the correction.
Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Trailer requests

Postby mgordon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:05 am

Thanks to everyone for their replys and input, its good to see how helpful everyone is,
Micro thanks for the input I am going to build a teardrop, but I want to put in 5 gallon water tanks a sink etc, so the ct trailer is out at 400.00 it would probally cast me another 100-200 to beef it up axles and all so Ill see what the cost for shipping would be but probally make one, Similar to micros. PaulC your tt looks great hopefully mine turns out as well.

I keep you all uptodate on the trailer search.

thanks for the help

matt
When you're going through hell...keep going.
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Sorry Pic did make it

Postby TRAIL-OF-TEARS » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:18 am

mgordon wrote:Sorry steve, I reloaded the site and they came in. What is the weight of your trailer, and the dimensons, what do you have in your galley.

Matt,
Sorry for the late reply.
My tear weighs about 800-900lbs I am guessing since I have not weighed it yet. The axel is a 2000 lb torsion axel.
The total dimensions is 8'Lx5'Wx4' tall. The total trailer length is just over 11' tongue to tail.
Here is what I have in my galley. What you cannot see is the small lawn tractor battery, and behind the vent is the air conditioner.

P.S. I am not saying you should use a trailer frame like mine I am just letting you know that the body can hang off the frame and still be fine. I have about 1'-3" overhang in the rear and 2'-8" in the front.
On this picture the frame stops just behind the fender and the white spot under the door is where the frame angles to form the V tongue. hope this helps.

Steve J.

Home built Camp-Inn clone.
GO SPURS GO
TRAIL-OF-TEARS
Donating Member

Thanks Steve

Postby mgordon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:27 pm

Thanks for the info, I think Im on the right track now, Ill let everyone know which way I go, I am strongly concidering building if I cant get a decent used one.

Micro could you give me your generic trailer measurement just so I can start planning and costing materials.

Matt
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:05 pm

There's an axle manufacturer in Calgary, Standens. I found them while looking for a torsion axle supplier, but since I'm in Ontario shipping would cost. Give them a call/email they might be able to point you towards a trailer builder, fabricator and you can get the frame you want (correct measurements etc..)

http://www.standens.com/trailer.htm

Go Flames! Actually I'm a Habs fan, so a Montreal/Calgary final would be nice....
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

interesting

Postby mgordon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:04 pm

Thanks ken Im on to something up here just pricing material, Ill advise on which way I go.
Does anyone know the weight of the generic benroy built to spec (generic design)?

Or some decent trailer plans.

thnaks

Matt
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Userzero » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:12 pm

Today I went back to Walmart and confirmed that the trailer they sell is indeed a Snowbear model 7000. The platform is 54" wide X 92" long, and the wheels are 5.3 X 12" class C. The trailer payload is 1745 pounds. It sells for 649$.

Unless someone told me that this trailer was definitely not suitable for a Teardrop, this is what I intend to use for my build. In fact, I think I saw it listed somewhere in a document that is available on this site and that contained building materials. Can't find it again for the life of me. There is so much reading material here!

I used Autocad 2004 to draw my own profile, and I would appreciate if someone who can open .dwg drawings would be kind enough to review it and comment. Don't know how to post a file though.

Thank you all,

Georges
George Payne

"Tell me what you need and i'll show you how to make do without it."
Userzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Ken A Hood » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:24 pm

Userzero wrote:
I used Autocad 2004 to draw my own profile, and I would appreciate if someone who can open .dwg drawings would be kind enough to review it and comment. Don't know how to post a file though.

Thank you all,

Georges

I have Autocad 2004, if you PM me I'll send you my email and look it over for you.....Keep in mind I'm not an expert though..
Ken
Disclaimer: I in no way resemble the avatar shown. Furthermore, I in no way have any affiliation to the Trailer Park Boys and more specifically Bubbles!
Ken A Hood
500 Club

Re: Thanks Steve

Postby Micro469 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:40 pm

mgordon wrote:Thanks for the info, I think Im on the right track now, Ill let everyone know which way I go, I am strongly concidering building if I cant get a decent used one.

Micro could you give me your generic trailer measurement just so I can start planning and costing materials.

Matt

Matt, my tongue is 48" long, the frame is 57" wide, and 8' long. I didnt go to a full 5' wide frame because then I wouldn't be able to get it in my back yard. I know it's only 3" but with fenders on the finished trailer, I'd have to airlift it out. This way, if I'm carefull, she'll just squeak past the house.
:lol:
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby asianflava » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:45 pm

I think someone on this board used a snowbear trailer. I don't know for shure but I know it has come up, why else would I know about a snowmobile trailer built in Canada. Or is that "Snow Machine"? Try a search for "snowbear" and see what comes up.
asianflava
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Micro469 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:49 pm

asianflava wrote:I think someone on this board used a snowbear trailer. I don't know for shure but I know it has come up, why else would I know about a snowmobile trailer built in Canada. Or is that "Snow Machine"? Try a search for "snowbear" and see what comes up.

Snowbear Trailers is just a brand name
. They build everything from utility trailers to snowmobile trailers to landscaping trailers. They are located in Guelph Ontario.

http://www.snowbear.com/index.html
Last edited by Micro469 on Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby TomS » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:51 pm

I built my tear on a 5x8 Red Trailer. I also own a Snowbear that I kept as a utility trailer.

The Snowbear is a very sturdy welded frame that will be more than adequate for your tear drop. When researching my build, I calculated that Snowbear frame was about 100 pounds heavier than the bolt-together Red Trailer. That's something to consider if you're towing with a small car.

Good luck with your build. And if Madjack hasn't said it yet...

We luv da pix :snappy:

So, please take lots of 'em.
Tom Swenson
[email protected]
TomS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Trailers

Postby mgordon » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:13 pm

First of all thanks all you are a big help,

userzero, I didnt look at walmart yet but home depot has the snowbear trailer 8000 (its one bigger than the one you saw) they are about 900.00 so I saw at canadian tire I belive a snowbear 41/2 x 8 for $500.00 now on sale Im going tommorrow I'll advise.

TomS thanks for info let me tell you your site was what convinced me that I can build this thing, great site, now I got another guy at work wanting to build one.

Micro thanks for the info, I might copy yours, if its okay.

What do you mean there arent snow machines in texas?

steve I like your trailer and may try the camp-inn ultra 550 after seeing yours.

The build date may speed up as I am sorting things out faster than I thought.

thanks

matt
Winston Churchill
mgordon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Userzero » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:18 pm

Ken A Hood made me realise that we could export from Autocad, (thanks!) so I did, and here is the result.

My goal is to have a dining setup for two sort of like the lil' diner, and reasonable sleeping room, 52" x 78". The mattress would be composed of three cushions that would be combined to form the seat in the table configuration, kind of like a folded futon.

The drawing also shows my proposed treadrop behind my 2.5 Jetta to give an idea of the scale. The profile itself would be 60" x 10 feet overall.

What do you guys think?

Georges
George Payne

"Tell me what you need and i'll show you how to make do without it."
Userzero
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bledsoe3 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:21 am

asianflava wrote:I think someone on this board used a snowbear trailer. I don't know for shure but I know it has come up, why else would I know about a snowmobile trailer built in Canada. Or is that "Snow Machine"? Try a search for "snowbear" and see what comes up.

Fornesto used the Snowbear trailer for his build. I have one I use for a utility trailer. I was going to use it for my tear but I liked it too much for a utility trailer. You won't be disappointed if you go that route.
If you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got.
bledsoe3
3000 Club
3000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets