Crown in Axle Wrong Way

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Crown in Axle Wrong Way

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:27 am

Since our build is complete, I have noticed that our wheels lean in a little at the top. I know the reason is because when I put the axle on top of the springs, I turned the axle over. I turned it over so the hole that the bolt head that goes through the springs would drop into the indention that keeps the axle from sliding. My question is how would I secure the axle if I turned it over the way it was originally, so the crown would be up instead of down, since there will be no indention for the bolt head to drop into?
I started out with nothing and I still got plenty left.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Leon » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:37 am

Best way is to cut the perches off the top and weld them on the bottom of the axle, or you could bend the axle and put the arch in the right way.
Leon
Silver Donating Member

Re: Crown in Axle Wrong Way

Postby Micro469 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:43 am

Jim Marshall wrote:Since our build is complete, I have noticed that our wheels lean in a little at the top. I know the reason is because when I put the axle on top of the springs, I turned the axle over. I turned it over so the hole that the bolt head that goes through the springs would drop into the indention that keeps the axle from sliding. My question is how would I secure the axle if I turned it over the way it was originally, so the crown would be up instead of down, since there will be no indention for the bolt head to drop into?

Did you reverse the axle when you put it back on .. IE left side to right side? If you swing the axle around does it fix it?

No, I'm stupid.... I realize what he's saying now, and ya, the tabs have to be repositioned...... :oops:
Last edited by Micro469 on Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby bg » Sun Apr 30, 2006 10:46 am

I'd have a new set of axle seats welded on.

Shouldn't be terribly expensive to have done.
Bobby(, Kim & Wayne)
bg
500 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:21 am

Our axle didn't have a tab that is removable on it. There is a hole drilled in the axle about 3/8 inch deep that the bolt head from the spring slips into. It is a H/F trailer that I widened to 5 foot so I had to cut the axle in half and reweld it. I don't think I can bend it, as I used a solid 1 1/4 steel rod from side to side and a 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 angle iron on top of that. When I welded it up, I did weld it with the crown in it. I appreciate your help fellows. :thumbsup:

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Micro469 » Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:14 pm

Jim Marshall wrote:Our axle didn't have a tab that is removable on it. There is a hole drilled in the axle about 3/8 inch deep that the bolt head from the spring slips into. It is a H/F trailer that I widened to 5 foot so I had to cut the axle in half and reweld it. I don't think I can bend it, as I used a solid 1 1/4 steel rod from side to side and a 1 1/4 X 1 1/4 angle iron on top of that. When I welded it up, I did weld it with the crown in it. I appreciate your help fellows. :thumbsup:

Hey Jim, then thets an easy fix. Just drill holes in the other side of the axle.........
John
Micro469
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Jim Marshall » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:55 pm

Well for crying out loud Micro, why didn't I think about that. Thanks my friend for the simple solution. :thumbsup:

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Gage » Mon May 01, 2006 12:08 am

He, he, that's what I was going to suggest. Drill the hole thru and then weld a plug in the up side so as to prevent a possible weak point.

Have a good day.

:thinking:
Image Image Image
Remember 'Teardrop Time'.......Take your time, you don't have to have it finished NOW.
Gage
8000 Club
8000 Club

Postby Arne » Mon May 01, 2006 6:39 am

Or, you could just leave it. The trailer is probably no where near it's load capacity. After 15k miles on mine, I show virutally no tire wear.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Jim Marshall » Mon May 01, 2006 8:49 am

Arnereil, I may do that, Judy and I have a camping trip coming up this weekend and I will wait to see if the tires start to wear any. If and when they do, I will worry about it then.

While I was asleep last night I dreamed of a way to fix it without trying to drill a hole in the axle. The hole would be hard to drill because it would have to be drilled into the tempered part of the stub axle. When the time comes. I can use washers that have a hole the same size as the hole now in the axle and just weld them in place. Do you think that would work?

Gage, that is a neat idea replacing a plug for strength.

Thanks fellows, I really do appreciate your time and suggestions. :thumbsup:

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby SteveH » Mon May 01, 2006 8:58 am

Jim,

Just my "opinion" here, but I don't think I'd weld on the axle. It almost always "pulls" it out of true when cooling. I believe I would take it off and take it to someone with a hydraulic press and bend it to the angle you need. Other than the labor to remove it and reinstall, the bending would be a simple matter and take only minutes.
SteveH
Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented immigrant"is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist ".
SteveH
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Jim Marshall » Mon May 01, 2006 9:59 am

Steve, I hadn't thought about how the welding might affect the axle. Thanks my friend.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Miriam C. » Mon May 01, 2006 2:27 pm

Hi Jim
Perhaps these seats could be of use to you.

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.catalog&categoryID=179

Miriam
“Forgiveness means giving up all hope for a better past.â€
Miriam C.
our Aunti M

Postby Jim Marshall » Mon May 01, 2006 6:55 pm

Miriam, thank you for the link, they have just about everything anyone would need for a trailer plus a lot of other good things. I really do appreciate it my friend.

VOL-N-TEAR
Jim Marshall
The 300 Club

Postby Chuck Craven » Mon May 01, 2006 7:20 pm

Get two spring seats and use the U-bolts and axel to get every thing aligned up and then weld the seats to the axel. All you need to do is tack weld the seats so they can’t move. :thumbsup:
Chuck
Chuck a new td builder
Chuck Craven
500 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets