Clearance on spare underneath

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Clearance on spare underneath

Postby kajamelu4 » Sat May 06, 2006 1:55 am

I have searched the site, and read several threads, but I just want some opinions. If I mount my spare under the trailer, what kind of clearance should there be. Can't put it on the front, got a storage box and a propane tank there. Can't put it on the back in the receiver because of the bike rack. The bottom seems to be the best, but am a little worried about hitting something. And what about location. Does that make any difference? What'cha think?
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Sat May 06, 2006 2:06 am

...in the Cubby plans, Kevin calls for the addition of an extra piece of ply between the doors(approximately) and the spare hung underneath just ahead of the axle...if clearance is still a problem, look for a donut spare from a junkyard in the same bolt pattern...you could also get a couple of bottles of green slime from the auto parts depeartment of your favorite store and a 12v compressor...that will usually get ya home
madjack 8)
p.s. if ya didn't want the slime you could get a plug kit from the same source....
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Sat May 06, 2006 6:09 am

JMHO, but, I think that the clearance needed would depend on where you take it. Going off road in rough areas would need more clearance than highway driving. Many autos today have very little clearance. Most of the underside of my wife's Hyundai has less than 7" clearance, and that includes the catalytic converter, which is about 6 7/8" from our carport floor. With the "rocking" motion of the trailer going over bumps, balancing on the axle, I'd think that the ideal place beneath the trailer for the spare would be as close to the axle as possible, and I'd choose ahead of rather than behind the axle. As for me, I'll just throw it in the back of my pickup...no problem with mounting.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 06, 2006 6:12 am

I put the spare tire underneath, behind the rear axle on my first Benroy...

It never hit anything. Granted, all my driving was highway and campground...

I didn't insulate the area where the tire mounted. That got the tire at least 1 1/2" higher up off the ground.

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sat May 06, 2006 6:34 am

My spare is mounted exactly as the above pic shows. And, I have never had a problem. I also made a bracket that comes down through the center hole, put a plate on, and a lock to keep it where I want it (with me, not with someone else). Realistically, I don't think many spares mounted under a tear will get stolen.. kind of tough to get to.

I just want to add that the further back you go from the axle, the more care you have to take.... If you put it at the back end of the trailer, you have more chance to drag it.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
I hope I never get too old to play (Arne, Sept 11, 2010)
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby rainjer » Sat May 06, 2006 7:32 am

mikeschn wrote:

Mike...

By the looks of that picture, I would say you have a leaking wheel bearing seal.
rainjer
King Koleman

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 06, 2006 7:36 am

Yea, It was a mess after I put the bearing buddy on, and before I put the bearing bra on it... :oops:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby Arne » Sat May 06, 2006 8:06 am

Right. If you have a weak seal and pump grease in, the seal will leak before the bearing buddy spring gives....

I'm not sure I see a real need for b/b's on non-water soaked trailers....

when I repacked my tear bearing a couple of days ago, I put a little grease on the inside of the seal so it slips on without being damanged and a bit around the cap so it helps keep any rain water out.....
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby mikeschn » Sat May 06, 2006 8:09 am

I musta had a weak seal.

Mike...
mikeschn
Site Admin

spare

Postby oklahomajewel » Sat May 06, 2006 8:41 am

Good question Karol.. there at Beavers Bend, "reo-ron" mentioned that the easy thing to do would be to have your teardrop tires the same as the tow vehicle tires then you've already got the spare in your car trunk.

I am just going to get a donut and put it in my car trunk I guess.

BTW ..... where are you going next?! haha .... and how's dad?

Julie
Some things are way over my head !! ...but it keeps me looking UP!
oklahomajewel
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Arne » Sat May 06, 2006 9:31 am

a note on seals. They come in different qualities. A cheap seal has the rubber part glued onto the metal cup (had one fall apart on my utility trailer).

A better quality seal has a double metal cup crimped together with the seal in between.

So, it is a good idea, when repacking the bearings, to be sure the seal is not leaking, and it has not fallen apart.

I also clean the axle where the seal rides (it is often rusted just beyond the seal) with very fine steel wool in a rotary motion similar to the way the wheel rotates, and put a very light coating of grease on that surface.... When I put the hub back on, I rotate it as I push so the seal rides onto that area instead of being squashed on.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby kajamelu4 » Sat May 06, 2006 10:47 am

Thanks for the quick answers. My hubby thinks I should just throw the spare in the back of my Excursion, but I have a problem with that. When I camp, kids are usually sleeping in the back of the Excursion. (Way easier that setting up a tent, and weather proof too.) And I don't want to have to load and unload the spare all the time.

So more info, I have a Camp-Inn with the off-road package so it sits higher that some other teardrops. I never go off-road and don't intend to. (My hubby wanted the off-road package in case he wanted to take it on a hunting trip.) Looking under the teardrop, putting the spare closer to the front underneath looks to be the best. Just wanted some input from the experts!

Julie- Dad is back in St. Anthony's. I am getting ready to go up there in just a little while. Waiting on a phone call first. Have wanted to go camping the last two weekends. So you can thank me for all the rain. :lol:

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Postby Arne » Sat May 06, 2006 12:01 pm

re carrying in inside your car/van. That is just another thing to remember to do, and it will always being taking up space. I put my tear spare underneath, and I just got done doing the same thing with my small utility trailer. It is out of the sun, and always with the trailer....

However, there is no rush. Try the simple thing first and see how it goes.
www.freewebs.com/aero-1
---
Arne
Mr. Subject Line

Postby Cary Winch » Sun May 07, 2006 11:32 am

Karol,

I have an easy answer for you on this. Your trailer has a spare tire well built into it. Your under floor storage well on one side is sized and shaped for our spare tire option. All you have to do is go to the parts store and buy a 12", 5bolt load range C trailer tire and drop it in there. There is not enough room under one for the full size spare (especially the off road) but the small one does the trick real nice. The tire size does not need to match on the spare.

Cary
Cary Winch
Teardrop Manufacturer

Postby kajamelu4 » Sun May 07, 2006 12:14 pm

Cary-
Thanks for the info. I store all kinds of things in the storage area. My hubby was getting rid of a small trailer which spare matched my Camp-Inn. We just kept it. I hate to go buy another tire when I already have that one. But it may be the way I go. Thanks!

Karol
kajamelu4
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets