Number 2

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Number 2

Postby PaulC » Wed May 10, 2006 6:11 pm

Just thought I'd post a pic of the start of number 2. It is going to be 8x5 in the Benroy style. This one is going to have a galley and it will still be an offroader. The build stand is Reiner's, from http://www.aussieteardrops.com , idea. Sure does make life easier for me.
Cheers
Paul :thumbsup:
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby madjack » Wed May 10, 2006 6:38 pm

go Paul, go :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .................................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Re: Number 2

Postby sdtripper2 » Wed May 10, 2006 7:19 pm

PaulC wrote:Just thought I'd post a pic of the start of number 2. It is going to be 8x5 in the Benroy style. This one is going to have a galley and it will still be an offroader. The build stand is Reiner's, from http://www.aussieteardrops.com , idea. Sure does make life easier for me.
Cheers

Paul:

That stand does look like it would let you set or not stoop so much to weld?
That is a good idea. :thumbsup: Your space looks so clean as well !
I couldn't find Reiner on that url? Is that a person from their forum? :thinking:
"A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country
is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards." -------Theodore Roosevelt

Steve
sdtripper2
Search Garoux

Postby PaulC » Thu May 11, 2006 1:28 am

Hi Steve, Reiner has his TD's in the hall of fame here on this forum. He builds TD's over here and is also owner of the Aussie forum. Since meeting him he has been a great help with little ideas, like the stand.
Yes it does make it easier on the back. I will be building the TD on that stand thru to completion.

Thanks MJ, I know I did'nt post pics of my first build so I'll double up on this one for you 8)

Cheers
Time is the only real capital we have. Money you can replace but time you cannot.
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Ron Dickey » Sun May 14, 2006 1:36 pm

Man you do a good weld .

looks real good .... Have you even seen or been in one of those Tvan trailers? this is my all time favorite (Mike thinks it ugly ohwell)
http://www.tracktrailer.com/

or any of these
http://www.rv.com.au/frames/weirdframeset.html

while I wall looking around I found this
http://www.overlander.com.au/equipment/index.php?id=11

do you have rough camping areas or is it mostly been payved and demesticated. in othere words will you need to make yours higher off the ground for the outback??

Good day Mate
Ron D.

:thumbsup:
Inside almost done--Trolly top has opening windows & roof.doors need assembling--pictured above waley windows..galley 1/3 done
Cross Bow in Build Journals....http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=54108
Ron Dickey
Silver Donating Member

Re: Number 2

Postby Larwyn » Sun May 14, 2006 2:03 pm

PaulC wrote:Just thought I'd post a pic of the start of number 2. It is going to be 8x5 in the Benroy style. This one is going to have a galley and it will still be an offroader. The build stand is Reiner's, from http://www.aussieteardrops.com , idea. Sure does make life easier for me.
Cheers

PaulC,

That's a much better looking stand than the one I used to assemble the HF frame..........

But can it do this...........??????????

Seriously though, I do like the stand that you have, and your shop looks so much dryer than mine.......... :D :D
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Postby PaulC » Sun May 14, 2006 6:15 pm

Hi Ron, Thanks for the compliment on my welding. Self taught and still learning about arc welding. The T-Van is a $39000.00AUD camper trailer over here. We looked at them but the price was a big no-way. The design is based on a Teardrop, believe it or not. The original designer stated that in an interview he once did.
All, or most, of our camping is remote area so we need that extra clearance to get there.

Hi Larwin, No my stand does'nt let me spin my frame around BUT I can build the entire TD on it. I'm hoping it will save the old back from stooping over all the time. Being 6' 4" does'nt help when you are building something like a TD. I must admit that I do like the idea of being able to spin the frame around. I was thinking about that while I was doing the welding. May have to pinch that idea from you :lol:

Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby doug hodder » Sun May 14, 2006 7:36 pm

Paul...sorry but I'll bet you are starting something that will carry on and on and on....giving them numbers....I found that out on boats #1 and #2 and am finding it out on tears too...diligently building tear#2...looks similar to #1, but #3 will be totally different...good job so far on your #2 and #1...Doug
doug hodder
*Snoop Dougie Doug

Postby PaulC » Sun May 14, 2006 7:44 pm

Hi Doug, The frightening thing is that I have two mates that are hassling me to help them build theirs. Now we all know what that means, don't we :? I'll build and they'll help :shock: The next frame I have to do is an 8x4(For the kids). It feels a bit weird that I started with a 9x5 and they seem to be getting smaller :lol:
With all the above it looks like I will be bulding at least 5 at this stage. No money in it, but what the heck, it's fun anyway.
Cheers
PaulC
3rd Teardrop Club

Postby Larwyn » Sun May 14, 2006 9:19 pm

PaulC wrote:Hi Larwin, No my stand does'nt let me spin my frame around BUT I can build the entire TD on it. I'm hoping it will save the old back from stooping over all the time. Being 6' 4" does'nt help when you are building something like a TD. I must admit that I do like the idea of being able to spin the frame around. I was thinking about that while I was doing the welding. May have to pinch that idea from you :lol:

Cheers

Nothing but a couple of pipe stands, some threaded rod and some old strap iron.

The rotating stand was useful during welding and painting. I may not be tall but at my age I like to bend and stoop as little as possiable....
Also a good way to keep the stray cats from walking around on the freshly painted frame......(fun to watch though)...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Larwyn

Keeper of the Most Out Of Control Shop (2005)

I feel bad for the man that cannot spell a word more than one way. Mark Twain
Larwyn
Mad Kilted Texan

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets