Tongue and Scissor Jacks--good sale info,also need advice...

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

Tongue and Scissor Jacks--good sale info,also need advice...

Postby kayakrguy » Sat May 13, 2006 8:34 pm

Hi Folks,

First, Harbor Freight is having a great sale on 1000# tongue jacks for 15.99.

Second, I am thinking of putting scissor jacks or stabilizers on the back two corners of the Red Trailer frame. I would like advice about which of these to use, where one can get them at a reasonable price and most importantly,
clearance matters.

The bottom of the Red Trailer frame is 17" off the pavement. Is that enough for average use with either scissor jacks or stabilizers? I wont be doing off road stuff but undoubtedly will run into rutted campground roads from time to time...

Thanks,

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby EZ » Sat May 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Jim,

From what I cans see, the 800lb jack is on sale on the web for $15.99. The 1000lb jack is on sale in the store (printed flyer) for $18.99. Take 20% off that (coming soon) and either one is a good buy.

I have one 1000# and I am thinking of putting another one on the other side of the V-tongue to balance it out like Jim Marshall did. I don't know if it is a big deal having one jack that isn't in the middle due to the 'V' shape of the tonge. The jack does lean a little and flexes the tongue to one side. For another 16 bucks I can just as easily mount another one and have 4 points for the camper to rest on. I inquired about this in the Trailer section (in the link below) a while back but never really made up my mind. My camper is sorta light but there will also be 4 people in it (OK, 2 adults and 2 kids) and that is another 450+lbs.

I would rather have 1 in the middle like Ol Timer did http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=8163&highlight=
but that is too much work right now and I am worried about ground clearance.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby toypusher » Sun May 14, 2006 7:11 am

Jim,

You should try the junkyards or salvage yards for scissor jacks from wrecked cars! Should be able to get a pair pretty cheap/
toypusher
Site Admin

Postby cracker39 » Sun May 14, 2006 7:30 am

I bought the 1000# HF tongue jack on sale and removed the mounting/swivel parts and made my own mount to fit inside my tongue and swivel up and down (see my chassis photo album).

For stabilizing, I bought a set of four stacking, screw type stabilizer jacks for about $33. I've used them before with a tent type popup camper. They will do the job for me, and take no longer for me to set up than the more expensive ones do that you have to attach to the chassis. I have the storage places for them in the camper, either in the rear cargo hatch or in the tongue box.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Sun May 14, 2006 7:37 am

Ed,

I don't have the problem of having an HF V tongue, thank goodness. I got the T jack at the HF store where the prices that came in the flyer were a bit lower than the web--I think. Btw, I am taking your advice about painting the bottom of the T with the outdoor latex--put the blue foam over that and it should be ok, I think.

I am trying to locate 4x10, 5x10 ply locally e.g. within 50 miles...have found one place that can get me 4x10 but it is a minimum order of 12 sheets! Waiting to hear from a couple more...

Jim
A disposition to preserve, and an ability to improve, taken together, would be my standard of a statesman...

But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby madjack » Sun May 14, 2006 10:43 am

Jim, if you haven't tried yet, check around at any local cabinet shops...most use 5x5 birch in cabinet construction...we get most all of our ply(including bendy ply) from the cabinet shop located right behind us...very handy since they have a truck that comes out almost daily...
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby rampage » Sun May 14, 2006 3:14 pm

cracker39 wrote:I bought the 1000# HF tongue jack on sale and removed the mounting/swivel parts and made my own mount to fit inside my tongue and swivel up and down (see my chassis photo album).

For stabilizing, I bought a set of four stacking, screw type stabilizer jacks for about $33. I've used them before with a tent type popup camper. They will do the job for me, and take no longer for me to set up than the more expensive ones do that you have to attach to the chassis. I have the storage places for them in the camper, either in the rear cargo hatch or in the tongue box.

Dale, Thats pretty darn cool how you mounted that tongue jack!
Where did you get the stabilizing jacks for $33? Online, i hope.
"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning"
rampage
Donating Member

Postby cracker39 » Sun May 14, 2006 5:19 pm

The way I mounted my jack stand was not my original idea. I got the idea from another member who did something similar, but I designed my own swivel mount.

I picked up my stabilizing jacks at an discount/surplus RV parts place near Tampa when I went there to pick up my axle. I also got my door at the same place. WalMart sells the same type of jacks for about $38 I think. I guess you know which ones I'm talking about. The are the aluminum ores that have the screw post in the center.
Dale

Sometimes I pretend to be normal. But, that gets boring...so I go back to being me.

Squidget Pop Top Build Pages http://www.thesquidget.com/ptbuild/ptbuild.html

Squidget and Pop Top Plans Info and Photos: http://www.TheSquidget.com
cracker39
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Tue May 16, 2006 7:33 pm

Madjack,

It sounds like you are in T-build heaven--man, all the wood right next door.
Around here, every big box place I have contacted about either 1/8 ply, 4x10, 5x10 1/4 or 1/2 or 3/8 inch says no way! The mom and pop stores, IF they can order it want either a minimum order of 10-12 sheets (like I'm going into the business,g>) Or when I have found 4X10 1/4 or 3/8 inch ply here are the prices for single sheets--$51 for 1/4 inch and, are you ready for this?--$104 for 3/8 inch. Geez, at those prices I could by a trotter or something and win some money, maybe!

Ok, enough whining. I am just going to use 4x8 and be done with it But I will try your advice and call some cabinet shops in the area and see what they say...thanks for the heads up about that...

You near Big Easy? We were down there 3 weeks over Christmas in ERVs serving meals. Man, unbelievable what Katrina did!

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Postby hammer & tongs » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:06 pm

Kayaker;
I had the same experience with 4X10 ! None at the big box stores and I was quoted something like 489 for the ONE sheet their distributor had on hand..
Tried our last locally owned yard today..asked about 4X10..the clerk said,.." not unless you plan on buying a whole lift !"..i took that to be a whole bundle of 25-50 sheets..

How are you planning on making your "splice" ?
" By whose stripes you were healed ."
(1 Peter 2:24b )
hammer & tongs
Teardrop Master

Postby Kens » Wed Jun 28, 2006 9:29 pm

I just bought 2 scissor jacks at a junk yard cost me 20 dollars. I made sure they had a bolt head on the end of the screw so I could use a socket wrench. Make sure both are the same.
Good day every day!
Kens
500 Club

Postby kayakrguy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:26 am

Hammer,

I'm sorry to be slow replying to your 'splice' question. I think I will use 1x 3 from floor to ceiling, with the splice at the front of the trailer. Since I will probably build with 1/2 inch walls, I will use screws and liquid nails to hold the walls to the 1 x 3. I will use the 1 x 3 to mount some reading lamps or such.

That is the 'plan' right now, but the plan is a very fluid thing at the moment<g>

Jim

Edmund Burke
kayakrguy
Lifetime member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets