HF 4x8 Information PLEASE!!!

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

HF 4x8 Information PLEASE!!!

Postby riverfront » Wed May 17, 2006 5:28 pm

I am waiting on delivery of the HF 4x8 trailer I was so lucky to win and am trying to develope information so I may begin ASAP!

I will have tons of question and will need the support of all you masters out there!

First off, In all my research I read a thread (many hours doing this) about taking a 4x8 and not modifing the trailer but building a floor out over the weels to a finished width of 5'. The last three days I have spent hours looking but can't find it and the threads that some of you linked to for more info! Could someone point me in the right direction?

Second, Anyone who has done this I would like your feedback on the pros and cons with this idea! To much for this trailer, will tip over, or will it work great for my limited budget?

Third, What would be some of the low cost mods for this idea, and how about adding length?

THANKS!!!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby Finntec » Wed May 17, 2006 6:07 pm

Just my 2 cents. If you make the TD larger than 4' by 8' it may cost twice the amount in plywood and aluminium. Unless you can find, 5' X 10' sheets, you may be wasting some of the material. You can always use it for another project though. Most of the materials you will find are divisable by 4' so making it larger will certainly not be the most cost effective way to build if on a tight budget. Make a materials list for the trailer you want and see what compromises you have to make to fit your budget. A speadsheet worked well for ours. Just my experience, others might be able to offer other suggestions to cut costs. Best of luck!
Former owner of a '05 Homebuilt TD & '87 Scamp
2012 Home built 10' Teardrop.
Finntec
The 300 Club

Postby madjack » Wed May 17, 2006 6:14 pm

...keep in mind WEIGHT...your trailer should ideally have a capacity that is 50% over its total weight...this is especially true for a trailer that is always loaded such as a TD....
madjack 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby riverfront » Wed May 17, 2006 10:43 pm

Thanks RayandDebby for the advice!

Madjack - do you mean if the trailer is rated at lets say 1000# then I can safely build a tear fully loaded weighing out at 1500#?

I really would like more info on the 5' idea because 4' is the trailer I will have and I would prefere wider sleeping area if it can be worked out - just wish I could remember the thread I saw it in? Wood cross beams with the tires and fenders tucked under the body!

If I can do this what would be the allowable hangover for length or am I best to stick with the 8' and not press it?

When I put the trailer together, where should I mount the axle? Does it matter if there is rear overhang? Is there any other way of using the parts that come with it that should be done other than the provided directions?

I know! Questions, Questions, Questions!
Thanks for helping me learn!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby Katie&Craig » Thu May 18, 2006 12:13 am

Riverfront,
To keep the tire tracking of the trailer the same as on our tow vehicle we are going to be building with the wheels inset. The trailer walls will be at 60" (giving us ~ 57 1/2 width for interior at the shoulders), but there will be a box covering the wheels inside, making part of the sleeping area 49". Since our sleeping area is loong (82"), the position of the wheel well is down around our knees.

If you are thinking along those lines I would tape it out on the floor, pile some books for the wheel wells, etc. and lay down in the space. The reduced space sounds uncomfortable to some, but by trying it out we found that the wheel wells were in a position that won't really bother us.

Also, we are going to buy some hideously expensive, but very comfortable foam for the bed. That way we can have the bed go the full width of the teardrop and just cut out the part around the wheel well. The depth of the foam (5 or 6") will cover most of the wheel well and we will pad the top of it also. Since you have the HF you probably will have the 12" tires, which is what makes this work nicely - larger tires makes for a larger wheel well, and not so good a fit.

We considered using the HF trailer and just bolting or welding on metal flanges (don't know what else to call them) that go out to the 5' width to help support the floor. Probably we will go with a home built and will be posting the design soon to the board for feedback.

I wish I had some drawings for you, but we are just back to planning after an unplanned break so I have some drawing to do!

Sorry this is so long, but hope it gives you some ideas.
Katie
Katie&Craig
Teardrop Advisor

Postby madjack » Thu May 18, 2006 12:19 am

Bruce, just the opposite...a 1000# (GVW) needs a trailer rated at 1500#s......................................... 8)
...I have come to believe that, conflict resolution, through violence, is never acceptable.....................mj
madjack
Site Admin

Postby madjack » Thu May 18, 2006 12:24 am

...building a "standard" design 8' tear, the axle should be 36"(approximate) from the rear...this can be compensated by using a toung box and moving the battery and other heavy items forward allowing you to leave the axle in its original location...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby riverfront » Thu May 18, 2006 7:27 pm

K&C thanks for the info!

Madjack - the trailer Mike ordered max load is 1175# So is that the full 1175# or half that?

I still would like to build it 5' wide so that means body will be partialy over tires - what problems if any? Is this a big NO_NO? I can live with 8' long and can work things out that way but Linda says it has to be closer to the size of our queen or I better bring the tent along for me to sleep in! LOL ha! This is why I am looking for that thread that showes a 4' trailer with 5' floor, but I can't find it now!

Thanks for your help! Can't wait to get started but I want to make sure I don't build a death trap!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby EZ » Thu May 18, 2006 11:25 pm

Bruce,

I built 5 1/2 feet wide so that the floor extends out over the wheels (raised by a 2 X 3 frame) so I could have bunks. It seems huge inside. However, and this is a big however, I have never towed it because it isn't finished yet. Sure I hope that it won't topple over or sway all over the place but I don't think it will because the center of gravity is low and it is light because it has no galley. I left the axel in the original location but I have a tongue box with battery, etc. and no galley in the rear so my weight distribution is well forward. And when looking at the tow vehicle (Caravan) from the front you cannot see the camper at all.

Seems to me that there are a lot of campers here that are built over the wheels. Different look if you don't get a longer axel but more cubic feet. I think there was a poll a while back that asked what everyone who has built a teardrop camper would do differently next time and the most common answer was go to 5 feet wide.

Just an opinion from a never-towed-teardrop-camper builder.

Ed
EZ
Donating Member

Postby madjack » Fri May 19, 2006 1:14 am

Bruce, with that trailer you will be OK with an 800# unit(800# + another 50% = 1200#s)...building a 5'er on that frame should be just fine...I highly recommend printing out the Generic Benroy plans, and getting Steve Fredericks build CD...regardless of what you decide to build, they are invaluable references...the build process we used on the Alligator Tears is very similar to Steve's build philosophy...
madjack 8)
madjack
Site Admin

Postby riverfront » Fri May 19, 2006 7:48 am

EZ - Thanks for the input! 5' has to be!

Madjack! You are great help! Allready downloaded Benroy and others! I will get Fredricks CD!
So you think a 5x8 is OK! Will a 5x9 be OK too or am I pushing it? Another question? Axle set? Do you measure from the back of the steel or back of the completed box?

What is the web address for Alligator?
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby madjack » Fri May 19, 2006 11:31 am

the official address is www.gatortears.com the build pics are under the WWW button under my sig, also look in my personal album and checkout this link http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/laalligat ... /my_photos
...5x9 is OK and may be the ideal size...keep in mind weight and the fact that ply comes basically in 4x8 and building bigger will result in waste...5x5 and sometimes 5x10 can be found at "real" lumber yards and in most cases from a cabinet shop...measure axle set fron the back of box...
madjack 8)
p.s. our build is pretty well documented with several hundred pics...enjoy
madjack
Site Admin

Postby riverfront » Fri May 19, 2006 5:17 pm

Boy MJ you do love Da Pic's! Put you in my favs!

Got the letter today and called HF. Pick up Wed.

I know! THE PIC"S!

I think I will design for a 5x9 on my HF 4x8 using the clasic Benroy idea with sandwich sides! Sound OK?

Well I better get to some serious planning!

THANKS!
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Postby Hardin Valley Magic » Sun May 21, 2006 12:33 am

Bruce try looking up 48rob's cabin car it was built 5' wide on a 4' wide trailer. I think... :thinking:
That might be what you keep asking for.
aka Steven D.
Hardin Valley Magic
Donating Member

Postby riverfront » Mon May 22, 2006 4:33 pm

Thanks for the lead - his trailer is quite different - I see where he does the underbracing - good idea!

Thanks
Bruce
riverfront
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets