I have an axle! I have an axle! (flexiride)

Ask questions about Harbor Freight trailers, or questions about building your own...

I have an axle! I have an axle! (flexiride)

Postby jmtk » Fri May 19, 2006 10:38 am

The Fed Ex man stopped at our house this morning bearing goodies! :applause: It was just before I had to head to work, otherwise I'd have pictures. I waffled constantly on the axle decision, from leafs with shocks, to Dexter, to Flexiride, but I'm committed now!

I originally wanted a Flexiride from the very beginning for it's adjustable ride height, but was under the mistaken impression that you couldn't get it lighter than for 2000 lbs, which was too much for my case. I got mine chopped down to 1400 lbs, supposedly the lowest (from southwestwheel.com for $227 plus shipping). I talked to Jeff at Arizona Axle, and he claims they could go even lower in load rating, but they wanted a whole lot more ($307).

Now it's time for me to demonstrate my complete mechanical ignorance...

- They sent all the parts disassembled with no assembly instructions. Does anyone have an electronic copy of any instructions? Particularly for assembly of the bearing stuff. I guess I could just take all the parts to my welder (whose business is building custom trailers) and he'd know how to do it.

- What is the recommended maintenance? I've never had a trailer before, so know diddly about it.

- How do most people attach the axles to the frame? Welded or bolted? My original thinking is to have it bolted so that if I ever had to replace it, it would be a lot easier. The welder recommended welding it. He's suggesting 2x2x1/8 tubing for the frame perimeter, so if bolted, bolt holes would have to be drilled through the top and bottom of the tube. Am I worrying about something that will probably never happen (axle replacement) given reasonable use?

It's starting to get exciting now, like I really will have a trailer someday!

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Re: I have an axle! I have an axle! (flexiride)

Postby Nitetimes » Fri May 19, 2006 10:48 am

jmtk wrote:Am I worrying about something that will probably never happen (axle replacement) given reasonable use?

Jeanette

Never use that presumption... they can and do break and can also wear out. You never want to weld the axle to the frame. Or changing it in the event of a failure will involve a lot more work than neccessary.

jmtk wrote:- How do most people attach the axles to the frame? Welded or bolted? My original thinking is to have it bolted so that if I ever had to replace it, it would be a lot easier. You are right about that. The welder recommended welding it. He's suggesting 2x2x1/8 tubing for the frame perimeter, so if bolted, bolt holes would have to be drilled through the top and bottom of the tube.

Jeanette

I'm not sure about the Flexrides but the Dexters have a seperate piece that gets welded to the frame and then you bolt the axle to it.
Rich

ImageImage
-
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to
keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves
against tyranny in government.
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Re: I have an axle! I have an axle! (flexiride)

Postby jmtk » Fri May 19, 2006 11:23 am

Nitetimes wrote:I'm not sure about the Flexrides but the Dexters have a seperate piece that gets welded to the frame and then you bolt the axle to it.

Rich,

The Flexirides don't have a separate piece. I asked the southwestwheel guy specifically about that, because I was hoping they had something similar to the Dexter. They only have a flat bracket attached to the top of the axle. To make it removable, the welder suggested that the bolts for the axle be put through the 2x2 tubing and weld the bolts in place. I'd half to make some recesses in my floor for the bolt heads. What would you recommend? (Besides leaf springs, I know your opinion of torsion axles :) )

Thanks,

Jeanette
jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Fri May 19, 2006 11:31 am

If I'm not mistaken that plate has holes in it? I am pretty sure some of the guys here used another piece of plate (1/4" or 3/8") the same size and drilled to match, then they welded that plate on and bolted to it.

Something like this

Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take a butt kickin'.
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby jmtk » Fri May 19, 2006 12:35 pm

This is what it looks like (pic from southwestwheel.com). No plate, just the flat bracket on the top, about as wide as the tubing.

Jeanette

jmtk
Donating Member

Postby Nitetimes » Fri May 19, 2006 12:57 pm

Ok, I see. I can think of a couple of ways of doing that off the top of my head, but let me try to figure out the simplest way and I'll get back to you.

Dexter uses more or less the same mount system only where they roll down the sides there are holes there as well, makes mounting much easier.
Rich

ImageImage
-
- Thomas Jefferson -
Nitetimes
7000 Club
7000 Club

Postby alaska teardrop » Fri May 19, 2006 4:13 pm

Jeanette, Just another idea. Avoids drilling the frame, easy to R&R axle and check bolts.
    Fred
    :peace:
    P.S. The bracket could be lightly tacked for moving bare frame and permanently welded after finding balance point when the trailer is finished
Northern Lite Traveler design: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=51991
Minimalist torsion axle frame: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=12220
Alaska Teardrop photo gallery: http://tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=2014
Glampette photo gallery; gallery/album.php?album_id=2983&sk=t&sd=d&st=0
alaska teardrop
Platinum Donating Member

Return to Trailer and Chassis Secrets